1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AA Wad Problems-HELP

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by rumplestilskin, Oct 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rumplestilskin

rumplestilskin TS Member

try the blueduster wads or greenduster

2. gary0920

gary0920 Member

Give it up. They just don't load in the new AA hulls. Even the old AA hulls don't like DR 8 finger wad. I just went through 2000 DR 8 fingers wads and had nothing but problems with them using the AA hulls(old & new). Get some STS or federal and the wads will work fine.

AA hulls like winchester wads or clones. I have had good results loading the DR-XXL pink 7/8 oz wads in AA hulls.

3. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

I use WAA12SL (or Claybuster CB-1100) over 16.0 gr of Hodgdon Clays and Winchester 209 or Fiocchi primers. Real soft shooting 1 oz load (approx 1125 fps) I haven't had a single wad hang-up in 5000 loads. Hope this helps.

4. hreinke

hreinke TS Member

I've used "nothing but dust" green 1 oz. wads for three year's and use them in just about every hull I've shot in my gun. I get them at Gander Mountain in Michigan, don't know were you are from but you can get them on line delievered to your home. Try searching "Nothing But Dust" wads

5. 7 straight

7 straight Member

use the wt/western/wad, its made for the hulls.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Winchester hulls are tapered and require a tapered wad for best performance. Always use a wad that is specifically designed for the hull.

Pat Ireland

7. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Are you talking about the purple wad? Jammer XL1

What happens when the wad "hangs up?" Are you saying the wad gets stuck and won't go down?

8. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

That's interesting, I just finished 5000 purple DR WJ wads using the new style Winchester hulls and they came out looking like factory. I only load one ounce in them using 17.4 grs. REX I, F616 primer for a velocity of 1215 fps. Richard

9. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

BLKLAB, I've loaded a zillion AA's with a variety of wads including the purple one, and no problems. I thinks it's imagination.

Pat, I've loaded quite a few AA wads in Federal hulls with no problem. Haven't you?

10. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

That's why they make reloaders adjustable. Read the instructions and learn how.
    I too have used WAA wads in Federal papers with good results. I do prefer the straight walled wads as I believe you get more consistent velocity's. RG

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Certain wads will hang up on the edge of the inner base wad insert the new AA hull uses.

I too, found Dusters work good. If you cut a shell apart just above the base wad and put a wad in, looking at how it fits you will see the problem. Windjammers hang up, Dusters and AA wads go right in.

Adjusting for more pressure might force the wad to go past the lip too.

A true pain in the ass. Saving all my old style for special occasions now.

HM

12. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I always use Winchester/Western wads in new AA hulls because as Pat said they have a smaller diameter over powder cup which does not catch on the AA base wad. Of course the Winchester wads would fit in a hull without the separate base wad but I won't even use Remington wads in the AA hulls.

13. DoRaMa

DoRaMa Member

4170 N. Gun Powder Circle, Hastings NE 68901
    Hello,

Roger C.

Will you please give me a call.

Thank You

Kevin @ 402-463-3415

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Use the downrange 1 oz. clone (orange). I bought some and they work great, and a lot less than WW.

15. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

halfmile, what happens when "Windjammers hang up",does the wad stick there and get crushed? I've loaded 13,000 WJII's and have no pain in my ass.

Seriously, I'm trying to understand what is being seen.

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The wad just does not quite seat properly on the powder. I had lots of bloopers due to air under the skirt. I cut some apart and found the overpowder cup tipped, and in two cases powder migrated past the wad skirt.

Maybe if I had more opressure it wouild crush down in place, but there are other wads that work better for me so I use them instead. I have lots of other hulls that take Windjammers just fine.

HM

17. topgun

topgun TS Member

To Pat Ireland:
    Pat isn't it true that W-W stopped production of the one-piece tapered hull and replaced it with the two piece non-tapered hull that initially caused many reloading proplems with wads hanging up on the base wad?
    Pete

18. kgunner

kgunner TS Member

Have loaded thousands of both the old and new (don't like them) AA hulls with the DR Windjammer as well as the Claybuster and WTW wads and have experienced absolutely no problems like you describe. I load the 1 1/8 wad for both the 1 1/8 as well as the 1 ounce load and they crimp perfectly. As said earlier, you might have some sort of adjustment probem with your reloader.

19. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

If anyone noticed, the newer versions of the AA wad have vent grooves around the powder cup. They would probably not be there if they didn't have a function. If you use a wad without them, you may encounter seating problems in the new AA cases. It's my understanding and observation that some of the Downrange wads do/did not have the grooves. Select your wads and hulls accordingly.

20. IndyJohnO

IndyJohnO TS Member

I have gone 7/8 oz loads now for six months with excellent results and performance.

In AA hulls (both old and new)I have had the best results with the DR XXL-7/8 oz pink wad.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.