1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AA vs Remington vs other in 410

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Powder River Blue, Dec 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Powder River Blue

Powder River Blue TS Member

I am getting ready to start shooting .410 big time. The question is: What company NOW makes the best shell for reloading. If I'm going to buy new shells to reload later, I'd like to get something that will work for the long term. Thanks Craig

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The Remington shells, if you are starting new. You can use clone wads for AA in them, and they work fine.

AA now is in the HS plastic, and they say you have to use their wad, which is price at 18 bucks a thousand.

I suppose other wads work, but the mfr's say use the special wad.

296, still the standard. Li'l Gun or 41 are ok, depends on what you have available.

You want a powder that works with a number 11 bushing.

HM

3. Gregg535

Gregg535 Member

The Win AA HS hulls last the longest, by far. ClayBuster makes a HS wad for them which is cheaply priced and works well. I use Win 296 powder (15.0 grains) and the Win 209 primer. That is a very common and popular load.

4. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

AS a S---- Shooter I use a 410 more than any other gauge. My experience has been that AAHS hulls last longer. I use Lil gun powder and claybuster HS wads that will also work in the old AA's or Rem hulls. I've also found that dropping one grain of powder will add to the life of the hulls as hot loads really burn the hulls. Jackie B.

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Craig, always follow the correct data when reloading the little guns. I was off by .6 tenths of a grain on the 410's on my first batch. I think one of the weights was not resting in the notch on my triple balance beam scale and I got very off sounding loads with some bloopers as well. These were with the old style hulls. It really throws off your game with this little gun. I too think you will get a few more loads out of the Win. AA's HS.as compared with the Rem's STS's.
    PS. Try the Orange PC wads will work in Rem. STS, Win. AA's both the old and the new hulls. Break-em all. Jeff

6. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Winchester AA HS hulls last the longest and are the easiest to find if you are shooting a Remington 1100. My Remington 1100 Sporting does not like Remington hulls!

You can use Remington SP-410 wads in the Winchester HS hull. Hodgdon H110 powder is my favorite (same powder as Winchester 296).

The .410 is a fun Skeet gun.

Jim Skeel

7. billn

billn Member

I use both AA HS, Old AA and STS, I found that they all work depends on what you get use to. The AA HS , depending on how many times you load them, look for a black spot about an 1/8" above the brass, it could be anywhere, they burn thru and split. the old AA don't do that. I use Aliant 410, it is cleaner then 296 and takes less powder for the same amount of speed. I used 296 at first, was pretty dirty and always came out on the charge bar.

8. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Win AA HS hulls seem to last forever...

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

You can use the Remington wads in the HS hulls. I use Lil' Gun. I too have noticed the burn through on the hull sides above the brass.

Most of the serious skeet shooters I know use nothing but the AA HS hulls.

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you are going to use Remington hulls then use Remington wads. Winchester hulls use Winchester wads. 296 powder is the powder of choice. It is a slow burning powder and the wad must be a perfect fit in the hull to get good ignition.

Skeet shooters liked the Remington hulls because you could fit more shot in the hull and still get a good crimp. HMB

11. coho

coho Member

do you shoot 2 3/4 or 3 inch shells?

12. coho

coho Member

have any of you tried the multi-hull .410 shells from ballistic products?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

410 aa has lil gun

rem sts vs win aa-hs internal dimensions