1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AA .VS LOWERY TARGETS

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Joe Potosky, Mar 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I've shot them both (White Flyer and Lawry) and see no difference in my scores from club to club and they both seem to fly the same. When you hit them they break.

Every once in a while I see a Lawry paint problem, with targets sticking together on the stack in the box. Just saw this last month at a skeet shoot with Orange painted targets. No problem with the black rim targets.

I have also shot Champion and for me they don't seem to fly as straight on windy days and maybe a hair on the hard side. Center hits leave something to desire.

2. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

There is a big difference between White Flyer and Lawery. They don't even begin to break or fly the same. Lawery's are like shooting chunks of cement. White Flyer is a vastly superior target.

Don

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

heavy "poker chip" on the L. I don't think they are as breakable as the WF but it's all relative, ain't it?

4. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

I know now there is a problem with the bad scores I shoot. Has to be the targets. I know I am a great shot. Wow what a relief. Although I must admit. All these complaints are just B. S. Just shoot them. All entries must shoot the same targets. End of cry baby complaints. - Jim

5. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

I forgot to mention one item. I do not see where Lowry is doing anything to support trapshooting. On the other hand White Flyer has been doing a great deal. My hat is off the White Flyer and all their personel. - Jim

6. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

I have always thought Lowry were a little more difficult to break. The local club I shot at uses Lowerys exclusively. The first time I encountered White Flyers I had difficulty understanding the type of breaks and ink balls that happened. You usually get good sized chunks with Lowrys, never see starbursts on centered shots.----Phil

7. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I agree with Jim Elliott. Phil Murray, and the entire White Flyer organization, are very supportive of our sport, especially with the PITA and their youth program. They have been very generous and for that, I say, "Thanks to all the folks at White Flyer, I appreciate that very much"!!...Dan Thome (Trap2)

8. porky

porky TS Member

While it may be true that White Flyer donates to the ATA, the Lawry Company charges less money for their targets and delivers to a club in smaller amounts, such as 3 or 4 pallets. I also find that Lawry targets fly the same as White Flyer and break the same. I think the real problem with people is the mind over matter thing(change for trapshooters is difficult). So in my mind, maybe White Flyer gives to the ATA more, but Lawry with their smaller delivery quantities directly to the individual club at less expensive prices is a plus to a small club. Small clubs are the back bone of the ATA, like small businesses make up the backbone of the industry in the U.S. I see more and more clubs going to Lawry targets because the targets break the same, the clubs can still afford them and delivery directly to the club on a scheduled date. The one problem that people have with Lawry is that Lawry uses more paint than White Flyer. When shooters shoot over the Lawry target, they get dust off the dome, White Flyers don't. People think that because they see dust, the target is suppost to break, unfortunately, the design of the bird is that you have to hit the rim on the bottom. If a couple of pellets hit the dome, they penetrate, but don't break and it is the same with the White Flyer birds except that White flyer, when hit in the dome doesn't dust because of the difference on the paint. Trapshooters need excuses.

9. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Think about the fact that Lawry has to be harder because they are shipped farther in paper thin boxes and need to avoid breakage. Their paint job doesn't even cover the dome. They don't fly the same because they don't spin the same and you need spin to break targets. I would guess if I put 7 or 8 pellets on the target I would expect it to break. Go out and look at the targets laying there whole with 7 or 8 holes in it, you will be surprised.

They might be cheaper but if any shooters stay away because of them what have you gained??

Don

10. porky

porky TS Member

A club that I shoot at had defective birds from White Flyer. The injection molding of the birds wasn't complete and pallets of the birds slipped out of the factory. White Flyer made them good, but it took some time to rectify.

Big Don- You're blowing smoke again. What an impulsive snd argumentative person you must be. Whatever made you think that Lawry target don't fly the same and spin as well. In as far as the paint, people have spoken of Lawry using so much paint that they have stuck together at times. I would be very surprised to see any target with 7 or 8 holes in it. Even the green Remington birds used at the Grand didn't have 7 or 8 holes in the top of them. You are an unbridled cannon, shooting your mouth off on impulse and not having any facts.

I will admit that Lawry targets leave something to be desired because of the dust. But in retrospect, they leave no more dust than the Bio's from White Flyer. Those I hate to see clubs use because of the

11. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Git; Some of the basis, is just shot a shoot with Lawry's. 2000+ targets. Targets were picked up with 7 & 8 holes and not broken, common complaint was the hardness of the target. There was barely paint on the domes. If you shoot enough targets you can tell how they are breaking and flying. If a target doesn't spin well you will have difficulty breaking them and they won't fly well in the wind. Lawry's have to be made to travel great distances, WF has plants spread around the country. Check the differences in the boxes they are shipped in. The dust is not good on the machines and arms. Argumentative no, factual yes. You want to defend there honor be my guest and if you can't see the difference that's not my problem.

I'll shoot whatever someone throws but don't tell me there isn't a difference. Cheaper yes - better no.

Don

12. ChairborneRanger

ChairborneRanger Member

The two clubs I shoot at both are using Lawry's and for the most part, everyone is very satisfied with them----esp. the price and delivery service.

13. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

and the Lawry targets don't kill all plantlife where they fall....

14. sxs28ga

sxs28ga TS Member

Another trapshooting myth - I see no difference - both are good targets
    J Mroczka

15. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

I tried lowery,white flyer,champion and remington at my skeet range. Without a doubt the remington is the most brittle and far to many break. I couldn`t get the lowery as easily as champion or white flyers but had good results with them. Flew the same and a low occurence of breakage out of the traps. My breaks were about on par with the champions which are a little harder than the flyers for sure. I have picked up a many of chanpions with 4 holes in them.

Bad part is I can go cut a deal for a skid of champions much cheaper at Gander MT. than the local flyer distributor. I use champions.

16. SR1

SR1 TS Member

I shoot both at different clubs.I could care less which target I shoot but have seen more lawery targets get dusted and knocked sideways.So I do think they are tuffer to break but if your on they all should break its not the targets fault.

17. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Please explain how AA has their claws in the ATA.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

lawery vs white flyer