1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AA Trackers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tim Earney, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Tim Earney

Tim Earney Member

Our local Winchester/Browning Rep brought some samples of the new AA Trackers to St. Louis Skeet & Trap this morning for us old timers to try out. We each shot 5 of the black ones and 5 of the orange ones at various handicap yardages. It was a clear sunny morning and you could see the wads fall to the ground when a target was smoked and very easy to see the exact location of the shot when a target was missed. The Trackers should help anyone who is having a problem with a specific target and would probably be a great asset for a coach with beginning shooters. I was pleasantly surprised at how visible they are even for these old eyes.

2. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

i tried 5 of the black ones the on a clear day and we could not see them. just my opinion. motordoc

3. Billetproof

Billetproof Active Member

Bought a box yesterday ($12) and went out to the club today to try them out. Could watch them right out to the bird, they looked like they were just barely behind the shot pattern. Broke 24 out of 25, just off to the right on the one I missed. Good idea and look like they could be of some benefit. 24/25, wondering if I should shoot them all the time?

4. 20yard

20yard TS Member

By design some shot stays in the wad, which is why it travels further than standard wad. I'm not sure if it's an 1/8th or more, but those pellets will no longer be participating in trying to break the target so I don't think I'd use them all the time, I wouldn't use them all the time because of the cost as well, but they were neat to play with, maybe a few in the pouch for times when you aren't sure of where you are shooting.

5. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

They may be more visible to the shooter but I watched my son shoot several of them at the Grand while demoing some new Brownings and as a spectator, I did not feel they helped me see where his shots were going. Standing behind the gun probably gives a much better perspective. They did smoke targets though.

Jeff

6. Billetproof

Billetproof Active Member

I was just joking about using them all the time. They are a handy item and work well. I probably will put a few in my pouch for those days I'm having problems though.

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I ordered a flat and 10 boxes came in of the orange type. Yet to try them. But I can see the shot as long as it does not break the bird. If it hits the target I cannot tell you anything about the path of the shot pod. I do not intend on wasting them as a trial. I paid $12 a box (shipping incl) from Midway USA. I have no doubt they will help me see misses on my own targets and on others that I stand behind. Orange or black will be OK.

8. WOOG12

WOOG12 TS Member

I'm not an expert shooter by any account . But my son was stuck in the low to mid 80's for months.
    Happened to be at Bass Pro seen the display a man was there buying for a 4-H club and recommend them we bought a case . Was the best 100.00 I ever spent, now my son is shooting mid 90's . Would recommend for any young person having problems . Thank you to the man at Bass Pro

9. DustyOne60

DustyOne60 Active Member

Bought two (2) boxes of Orange Traackers (all that Gander Mountain had on hand).

Shooting dark background (Minneapolis GC on Trap 10) on a cloudy day. Orange target pieces and orange Traacker wads ... not sure if we really saw any.

Will shoot Black Traackers at first opportunity. I see great promise for younger and beginning shooters.

Cheers, DustyOne

10. Avatar

The Traacker shells work, sort of, but with less visibility than I would like. My experience from 16 yards has been that, with good early/mid-afternoon sun, I can see the black ones most of the time. The orange ones, however, are too hard to notice, perhaps because they do not contrast with the orange clays. Nearer sundown, however, even though light was still perfectly good for shooting trap, I could no longer follow even the black Traackers. I still have not tested the Traackers under artificial lights at night--they just might work nicely.

I suspect people are going to have all kids of different experiences, depending on their eyesight.

I would agree that the Traacker wad does seem to stay with the shot string reasonably well (although at the end, I'm sure). Shooting a shell at the targeting board, the wad was only several inches away from center.

I also thought the Traacker worked quite well in terms of just busting clays. In spite of 1/8 of the shot being trapped by the wad and not contributing to the pattern, I don't think I noticed any fall-off in scores.

11. Dr. Honk

Dr. Honk Member

I purchased a flat of black AA trackers by mistake.

I would be willing to trade these for a flat of regular AA or STS 2 3/4 dram, 1 1/8 oz #8 shot.

I will be at the NE grand next week if anyone is interested in a trade.

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I would think that these "spotter" loads would be very good for the second shot in doubles. Even if the shooter couldn't spot the errors a buddy would be able to see it.

13. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

We have concluded that they are very effective for the person BEHIND the shooter who misses. They do nothing to help the shooter, and they are useless if they hit the target.
    They are a coaching tool, no more and no less, and if you coach keep a couple in your pockets.
    dju

14. pakk

pakk Member

Anyone try patterning them?

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Hell, you probably could go deer hunting with them.

16. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Raise your head, you can see them better.

17. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I'd have to see a video of where the wad is in relation to the rest of the shot cloud before I'd put much faith in this?

How can a wad, as big as it is even with the added trapped pellets keep up with the shot cloud? Sorry, I just can't see how this would work as intended because of speed difference to the target! I'd have to see it working before believing it. By that I don't mean seeing a wad pass by the clay either!

HAP

18. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

dju: I agree with you completely! I bought a box at Gander Mt. 11.99 plus tax, tried them last night at Annies. Couldn't see it at all when target broke, and neither could the guy next to me. The only thing I saw was when I touched one off just to watch it, and I saw a tiny speck when it was about to hit the ground!

19. Avatar

"How can a wad, as big as it is even with the added trapped pellets keep up with the shot cloud?"

It seems to stay with the shot string, but I'm sure it's lagging at the end--can't see how it could be otherwise. Even so, it does a pretty good job. When I hit the pigeon, the wad seemed to be right on top of it. It will be interesting to see what a video recording shows...

20. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

Well my experience with them is they work great from 16, the wad slows to fast from handicap to be effective. From 16 they rocket thru the center of the broken pieces, I was very surprised. Buy a box and try them out!! Don't expect great results the further you are behind the 16 though.

Search tags for this page

meseemisses