1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AA Trackers?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 3220, Jun 22, 2013.

1. 3220

3220 Member

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has tried the AA tracker shells. I am interested in them and wanted to know if they are worth it and a good training device.

Thanks in advance,

Fred

2. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

Are they even available yet?

3. perezal

perezal Member

Not available in South Texas. I have been looking for them and have found none.

4. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

Sportsmans warehouse in Tri-cities,WA has cases of them.

Don't know what they are for $10 a box.

Bill

5. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Cabelas shooting catalog I just recieved yesterday has them.

No prices posted on any ammunition. Every ammo item states " Check Cabelas.com for price and availability."

6. docbombay

docbombay Well known trouble maker

Dawson's had them at the Ohio State Shoot.

7. LDAddi

LDAddi TS Member

As a matter of fact, I got my first exposure to them today at the Redding Gun Club in No. Calif. A friend had bought a box of them somewhere locally at about $12.00 or so. He was shooting from the 24 yard line and standing behind him they could easily be seen against faraway mountains and haze. They are black and in this case could be easily seen. They did seem to be behind (I mean possibly slower than the shot charge in some cases) but not all. There was no wind and I wouldn't use them in more than a breezy situation. It would be up to the user as to the value of them but for a problem target or gun, with some judgment applied, I believe they would be of value. You would have to value them based upon a realistic view of the shooters skill level. With several of us watching, there was no disagreement on where the misses were. Again, for a big problem target or station, I think there is some value to them. Also, they are not an ignited projectile, but a wad designed to get the best trajectory possible to match the shot charger. They are probably as good or better than any design so far and pose no fire hazard, but must be used with some good judgment.

Larry in Redding, CA.

8. bevolt

bevolt Member

I'd like to see someone test them on pattern paper to see if the wad actually ends up in the center of the pattern.

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I'd like to see a promotional video which wasn't as crude as the worst sort of home movies we used to see of Old Faithful - "Just a few more minutes.. I kept the camera running because I didn't want to miss it! They kept us pretty far away but still you may be able to see something unless I ran out film before "she blew!"

Come on, WW! How many videos have you released showing next to nothing? I'm getting suspicious.

Neil

10. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Thanks Larry...thats the first thing I have read on here that was real world results from average users. Bump for anybody else..

11. Neil Winston

When Ron and I get some we'll give them the high-speed video test.

We anticipate there there are two main questions.

1. Is the wad close enough to the shot=cloud to make the results useful?

2. Is the flight of the wad close enough to the speed of the shot to make the results useful?

All that is assuming that you can actually see anything at all - in WW's videos I can't, not a damn thing!

Any predictions? Will the wads be close enough is distance and/or timing to make Traakers an asset to coaching or will they be worse than nothing, giving wrong information way too often?

Neil

12. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I would predict there will be sufficient wad tracking to better "guesstimate" the shot cloud.

13. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

I'm gong to go out on a limb here and predict that they are suitable for assisting young and/or new shooters into better understanding where they are shooting in relation to the rock. "Good enough for gevernment work...")
    I'm also predicting that the wad will be substantially behind the shot string. But we start them out on straight shots, so what's the diff?
    dju

14. 2 kluk

2 kluk Member

I recently won a couple of flats at the U.S. Open, but found out they cannot be used in competition. A fellow shooter was having a miserable couple of shooting days, so I contributed a couple of boxes to hopefully help with the problem. They certainly work as advertised. The special wad carries some of the shot for additional weight. The wad stays with the shot cloud. An observer, standing beside the shooter, can actually see the path better than the shooter.

Since then, I've traded for comp. shells with other shooters and all seem happy with the shell's performance. It's not a fix in itself, but does answer the question "was I over, under or what the h***?".
    If you start with Neil's Laws of Patterning and then add the Traackers, you've got a good tool box.

15. Neil Winston

I'm glad to hear that a coach (for example) can see the wad.

In the video I linked to above the shooter shot way to the side and he said that's where the wad went. That's encouraging, because there certainly are new shooters who don't get close to the target at all and for those cases I'll bet they work.

The test will be "How do they work when you are pretty close?" Do they, in fact, tell you where you shot?

Neil

16. LDAddi

LDAddi TS Member

I believe I mentioned above that the "tracker" showed up pretty good in the conditions that day, and I also mentioned that some appeared to be behind the shot cloud somewhat. In addition I made a very "conditioned" statement about the potential usefulness of these tracers. I still believe they will be useful to some people under decent conditions. Better than anything we've had to date I think. I guess a lot of people have to ask the same questions over and over again.

Cheers

Larry