1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AA TEAMS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gdbabin, Feb 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

While perusing my February issue of T&F, I suddenly realized that I don't understand where, against whom, and when the All-American Teams compete--or even if they do at all.

Is it a virtual honorary team, with designated honorary captains, or do they actually compete as a team?

My intent is NOT to diminish in any way the attainment of AA team status.

It's just that sometimes I sits--and sometimes, I sits and thinks.

Guy Babin

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

They do not compete as a team. Some of them do compete individually against each other at many large shoots. I compete against many of them at some shoots and they usually win.

A shooter gets points for winning at larger shoots. The shooters with the most points get selected to the team. At one time, a single sports writer selected the team based on his opinion of the best shooters.

Pat Ireland

3. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

Pat have a question? You and I both shoot the two top scores at a big shoot.
    Both have 99.We have a shoot off and you win.

Do we get the same points for the score of 99,but the winner gets extra points for winning?How do they base the extra points?

Bo

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Bo, the system is way, way too complicated to cover here. It's all in the back part of the rule book and you have to set aside some time to even get the bare bones of it. It's better to win than be second if you are an adult male but then it gets tricky.

Also, some changes were made for this year in how special categories are done and anyone in those groups should study the new, 2008 book so they can make the best choices this year.

Neil

5. shotgunfun

shotgunfun TS Member

Neil,

Is the 2008 rule book posted on the ATA website somewhere? thanks. Or do I need to call to have one sent to me? thanks.

Lorna

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

It's not there yet, Lorna, but you can call the office and they will send you one. I'll see Stacey at the Shot Show today and ask her to get it on the web site as soon as practical.

Neil

7. bas

bas Member

Lorna...see above. It is under the "About the ATA Page"...then, bottom of the page. When you first open it says it is the 2006 Rulebook - but that is incorrect. The most current version is what will open.

8. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

And congrats to Neil Winston for earning a Captain spot on the All American team!

9. bas

bas Member

The Captain designation is reserved for first teams only. My congrats to all team members and especially those are have made the team for the first time.

10. canada

canada Member

Neil, i know this isn't really the spot to whine, but has it ever been brought up at a delegates/executive meeting to review the target requirements for the AA teams?

In Manitoba, there is just really no way to get in all of those targets at all of the different locations. I know its really not all that important, but this is the third time i've had enough points now, but only once (i think) have i have enough locations, and that time i had to come back home, get a 5 man squad together, and register 400 singles and 300 handicap.

Is the target requirement in place to promote shooters to travel? If that is the case, wouldn't most of the people on the team travel anyways?

Also, couldn't it be argued that for example, if a shooter goes to the grand, shoots the whole week, and wins every event (and gets enough points to make a team), even if it his only shoot of the year, that he should have a spot on an AA team?

pat

11. shotgunfun

shotgunfun TS Member

Thanks, Neil. I did find it on the website. Oversight on my part. It is in the list on the home page.....about 1/2 way down.....next to the 'shooter info' space, for anyone who might want to see it.

While I am at it.......Congrats to all who made the All American Team!

Lorna Hull

12. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Good point canada. Shooters who aren't blessed with the time or $ to travel are pretty much out of the hunt.

13. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

I guess my 90 points were a little shy of anything.

Don

14. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Don, Didn't you get extra points for style and sophistication? Rosey

15. biff

biff Active Member

BIGDON, when the ATA flies the whole AA Team contingent over to Lithunia for the world shooting tournament, your 90 points should qualify for assistant to the assistant SubJunior Coach! The salary is a little low($90,000) due to budget, but the perks are great---free food, transportation, and passes to tourist sites there including the new Disney World! See Neil for the sixteen page application or get in line in Perry, Georgia; that's where the line begins and ends in Vandalia, Ohio! Be sure and give credentials that you are a regular on TS. Com.!

16. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Rosey; That alone should have been worth 500 points but alas nothing. Maybe this year.

Don

17. Bocephas

biff,homeless,will work for food.
    GOD BLESS.What is the deadline on getting in line?

Oh, one more thing I have points if (AA) beside my name means anything.
    That's why I am homeless.Spent all my money on shooting.

By the way,where in the #ell is Perry Georgia?

Bo

18. biff

biff Active Member

Bo, Glad to hear you are needy, all those options you have been playing paid almost as much as mine have! Perry, Ga. is on I75 down near the Florida line, I may not finish shooting this year as I'm off to a poor start....that way I can get in line early myself!!

That AA by your name may be like the one on my Winchester cap that aroused suspicions of people in the mall that I had conquered a drinking problem!!!!

19. Bocephas

biff,wife and I may have to swing through Perry on the way to Southern Grand.

That is if I can get these people to shell out a few more bucks at this stop light.Well gotta go starting to rain.Playing #ell with my cardboard sign.

Breakemall

Bo

20. I WON

I WON TS Member

Congratulations neil, don't forget the "ALL WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP" in Dallas, Texas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.