1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AA Super Target breaks M12...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by fishguts, Jul 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fishguts

fishguts Member

Sat.7/3 a guy shooting Win. Super Target shells, factory new 1oz. #8's, had one come apart after firing and blew the slide and bolt back so hard the the "nub?" on the end of the slide rod broke off. The red body of the case came off/apart at the bottom of the white plastic basewad....there was two pieces of the shell, the tube and the basewad still attached to the metal base. He was shooting a M12.

Wayne

2. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Wow, that's a first. Won't Winchester pay to fix his gun if it was a new shell?

3. fishguts

fishguts Member

I mean't to get the shell and box and do it for him, but I forgot....I don't think he'll say anything to them. The gun is fixed and it shot Sunday.

Wayne

4. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Just to play devil's advocate here, is there a possibility the action was not closed all the way or the lock on the bolt was worn to the extent the firing of the shell blew the bolt/slide back and literally tore the shell in half?

Bob

5. fishguts

fishguts Member

Bob, I guess anything is possible, timing, worn part, not closed...etc. I am only going by the end result, the shell is apart and the gun was broke. If it had happened to me I would know what the real story is/was.

Wayne

6. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I would say the M-12 gun was out time with a bad or broken Wish Bone spring.
    A properly timed M-12 this will not happen, hammer cannot fall until the gun is completely locked up.

This is fact.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Fish, that "nub?" "on the end of the slide rod broke off." That nub is what places the bolt in battery when moved forward. Worn action slide bars are usually neglected till crap happens. The wires GB mentions seem to break more frequently as the action "nub" wears down too.

[​IMG]

I always checked my bolt by closing the action then insert a knife blade beside the shell lift and push up on the back of the bolt. If the bolt moves upward, it's not locking up completely in the receiver cut-out. When that happens, it's then time to either have the action bar fixed by re-welding and dressing or replace it.

Model 12s can still operate with about 10 broken or worn out parts and require maintenance to keep them in tip top shooting shape.

Hap

8. fishguts

fishguts Member

I should see the guy Wed. evening and I 'll try to get more info....I'm interested in finding out if it was the gun or the shell.

Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.