1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AA super handicap

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by traplady41, May 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. traplady41

traplady41 TS Member

does anyone know of a good reload for super handicaps using promo powder but I am open to try something new.

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

If you are talking about reloading AA hulls there are plenty of recipes in the Alliant Powder online reloaders guide. If you are talking about duplicating the AA Super Handicap factory load, Here is my opinion on two items: Super Handicap factory loads kick too much for me and I am a 190 lb male who shoots long yardage. Alliant Promo is a substitute for Red Dot which is a fast burning powder and makes nice reloads in the 1145 ft/sec speed range but is Not suitable for high velocity Super Handicap loads.

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Miketmx.... I have to disagree with your statement that Promo is not suitable for high velocity handicap loads. While it may not reach the 1250fps. loads without reaching maximum pressures, with the correct wad it can be quite a productive handicap load at a reasonable pressure. I am loading 18.9gr Promo powder with a Windjammer wad, 11/8oz. magnum 71/2 shot lit up by a Fiocchi primer in a STS hull. This load chrono's out of my 34" DB-81 barrel at 1225-1230fps. The bore is a standard .725" Perazzi bore and it has a .693" choke. (.032") This load will smoke 27 yard targets all day long. I actually prefer it to the 700X I was reloading prior to the Promo. I am a big proponent of Promo powder after doing some chronograph work and finding out for myself just how effective it is. I load 16.5gr for singles and doubles and 18.9gr for long yardage handicap. I expect this handicap load to be even faster after I get my newly back bored and choked barrel back from Tom Wilkinson....Just my experience....Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

hairy.... I should have the barrel back from Tom by the 17th or 18th of this month. As soon as I get it back I will be heading for the Calif. PITA state shoot at Coon Creek for a week of shooting. As soon as I get back I will try to do some chronographing with it to see if back boring it to .740" has any real effect on the speed.....Dan

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Dan, I admit that I use Green Dot exclusively for Handicap but would not hesitate to use Promo for Singles and Doubles.

6. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Mike.... I have absolutely nothing against Green Dot at all. I shot it for a while and I liked it. The only thing I didn't like was paying $90.00 or so for an 8 lb. keg of it and having to use 22+ grains to get it up to speed. Granted the felt recoil was less with Green Dot but I'm not recoil sensitive so that is a moot point for me. I get the same speed out of 18.9gr of Promo and it only cost me $71.00 for an 8lb jug. It is just plain cheaper to load with Promo and I get just as good results from long yardage as I did with Green Dot. It is cleaner than Green Dot, and meters better than Green Dot did through my 9000H with the Universal charge bar. I'm one of those guys that really resists changes when it comes to my loads, but once I tried Promo I could see that it was the right choice for me. As others say on this site, your mileage may vary, but it was a no-brainer for me after comparing the costs and the results. I will stick with Promo until something better comes along. Will I change then? Probably. As Daro Handy once told me: "Change can be good sometimes. Don't be afraid to experiment. You won't know if it's better or not unless you try"...... I tried it and it worked for me....Dan Thome (Trap2)

7. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

If you want to duplicate the Super load, get some Winchester Super Handicap powder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

aa super handicap 1145