1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AA splitting up the side

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by AEP, Jun 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AEP

AEP Member

I've been shooting ola AA hulls for sometime and reloading them on my 800C with no problems. 2 years ago I received a bunch of new style AA hulls and bought a P/W 800+ machine. I reloaded the new style hulls and had very goodluck with them. Got many reloads. I ran out and decided to reload the old style AA and had problems. The top of the hull was getting smashed on one edge. I played with the 800+ for sometime and finally gave up. Went back the the new style AA and problems went away, however, some of the new hulls I only get about 2-3 reloads and the hull splits up the side.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks,
    Andy

2. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

I load old style AA hulls, and have done so for a long time. When I find them for sale I buy them as the supply is drying up although I have several thousand laying around, perhaps many more.

I find the AA old style, esp the red one, well even after being once fired some of them do split up the side. I set them aside and when I get several, say 10 or more I box them up and send back to winchester with a little note telling them they are old, but are once fired and should not be split after just one firing.

Almost every time they send me coupons for money off winchester products.Thats when I go out and buy more primers or wads.

They do split, at least a small % of them but the ones that don't make it worth the trouble. When I run out of old AA hulls it will be time to throw in the towel and buy the rocking chair and pipe.

3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Andy, I am still using the old AA's in 12 ga but use the new AAHS hulls for 410 and 28 and I'm having trouble with the splits/burns down the side or the brass splitting. Some are once fired and some are twice fired. I need to start saving them and send them to Winchester as one in ten will do this. Good luck. Jackie B.

4. wm rike

wm rike Member

Splits up the side of the new 12 ga. HS AA hulls are pretty commonplace. I can't say about the other gauges. AAs require some inpsection time before they get reloaded. The easiest solution is to load something that's green or gold.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Last night I loaded some of the Winchester ribbed hulls for the first time. They looked good and no splits. Used same loader settings and components that I use for the AAs. HMB

6. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

The length of the Old AA's and the New AA's is different. I forget which is longer but for me that caused a crimp problem and I had to adjust my MEC 9000G a bit to get a good crimp on the new ones.

No suggestion for the split problem. When I notice one I don't load it. If already loaded before I notice it I shoot it and discard that one. Usually breaks the target anyway!

Allen

7. TrapCrazy

TrapCrazy TS Member

Wow, now I know why stuff goes up in price. If everyone sent back empty hulls to ammo companies they would be broke. If I get one that splits I toss it in the garbage. Really, come on a split hull isn't that big of a deal. Remember Winchester didn't manufacture these to be reloaded 10 times or even once for that matter. The fact that you can is one thing but to send back reloaded split hulls is just crazy.

8. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

30 yrs. ago or better a friend of mine shot nothing but new AA shells.

He gave me the hulls since I re-loaded.

Most were red but he shot some Handicap (Black) shells as well.

Splits were not uncommon then. Hate to throw a new hull but they split pretty far down. The Black hulls seemed to be the worst.

I always thought it had something to do with the coloring agent they use.

Hard to beat Rem. STS in my opinion.

Regards.....Gerald

9. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

It is not just the new AA hulls. I reload STS green hulls and the Nitro gold hulls. After about 4 or five reloads it is common for me to find hulls split up the side. I inspect the hulls before I place them into my reloader and after they come out. I have been using a MEC 9000G. I think it is the plastic that the new hulls are made out of. Do not fool yourself into thinking it is just teh AA hulls.
    Jim Bradbury

10. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

What wads are we running?

11. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I have a Platinum with shell holders. I thought maybe the shell holders were causing the the wrinkle on one side of the crimp. I could never solve the problem so I will no longer load the old AA's.

The new AA's tend to split but I have no trouble with wrinkles. Rem hulls sometimes split. They are all just plastic and we are putting a lot of stress on the hull.

Rem hulls pucker up at the crimp end and turn black.

12. dverna

dverna Active Member

TrapCrazy,
    AA hulls are meant to be reloaded. We expect that from a "premium" hull.

Like you, I pitch the occasional split hull but I KNOW that it has split because of a manufacturing or material defect. I work in the plastic industry.

The difference in cost to "do it right" is minuscule; but the bean counters now rule most companies - not sales or engineering. Saving money in the short term is more important than quality and customer retention.

Don Verna

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I recall a time when Winchester advertised AA's as the best for reloading multiple times! Winchester's been notorious over the years changing the recipes of plastic used in their hulls. Even the so called "old" compression formed hulls had different recipes, some could be reloaded many times and other batches wouldn't.

I still use the old Winchester compression hulls but I love the STS Remington's. I think Remington has found the old recipe used for years by Olin.

Hap

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I've reloaded AA's for 35 years, and have occasionally seen a split side. But, I've noticed lately pin holes in the pedals creases after one reload. Maybe that's not an issue with some people, but in the past, 5-8 reloads from a AA was the norm, before a pin hole occurred. The plastic today may be a lot thinner resulting in the pin holes. I've been trashing a lot of once fired AA's with the pin holes, not good.

15. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Hap, do you ever get a wrinkle on one side of the crimp end when loading the old compression formed AA's?

16. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

JerryP, I have my MEC 9000H set for the average length of both STS and AAs hulls of old. Till I did that, once in a great while, a longer tube would crimp one side or other slightly. I feel that ruins the hull and I guard my old AAs with a passion. My best buddy recently gave me a few thousand once fired old AAs and I take as much care as I can when loading these older hulls to get the most out of them possible.

It seems some hulls will stretch out some at firing and I sort those out when I set the hulls on my Lexan glassed topped loading table. A final adjustment of the crimp starter is necessary to load both hulls to make new shell looking reloads. Yeah, I R anal when it comes to my reloads being the best they can be!

Hap

17. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

I am also seeing splits on the sides of reloaded STS and Nitro 27 hulls. Not to the extent that the older AA hulls split. Went from using Clays to Promo. Not sure if that had anything to do with it. Not a big problem anyway.

18. TrapCrazy

TrapCrazy TS Member

Sure the hulls can be reloaded but do I think a manufacturer like winchester specifically designs a hull so it can be reloaded? I don't think so. Sure a beer bottle can be filled over and over again but If I open one and the neck cracks do I save it and send it back to budweiser and expect a free case. No. My point was why would you save something as trivial as a shotgun hull to send back. If it split and caused a injury and it was a factory loaded shell I could see it. But to save a reloaded shell and b!tch to the manufacturer and expect something back is ridiculous. Where does it say on any box of shells specifically manufactured for multiply reloads with peak performance?

19. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

Trap Crazy you are wrong-they did make the old AA hulls to be reloaded. I sent back the new ( old style ) when they split after being fired once. I still have factory loaded ( new AA ) old style shells. When I shoot them for the first time if they split ,well then I send them back and winchester sends me a nice letter along with coupons thanking me for bringing it to their attention.

As a matter of fact I purchased a full case of aa old style shells,unfired, from pokerdan a year or so ago and when I shoot them,if they split they go back.They send me a thank you.

Pokerdan is a guy on ts.com and he is a "good guy" to buy from.

Understand these are split on the first firing of a new shell, no matter how old it is at time of fire.And winchester makes good for it. If they were not interested why would they thank me and send coupons ?

I am not saying how many times it should be loaded but when its new and splits on first firing they stand behind it-whats wrong with that ?

20. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

Just looked at the box of old style AA hulls. These are old but still new, unfired and they state on the box, 8 point crimp for better reloadability. They were meant to be reloaded.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.