1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AA shells - shortage?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bluedsteel, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

In my area, (the Carolinas) there seems to be a shortage of Winchester AA Shotshells on dealer's shelves. Yes, the full-price retail dealers (those that price their AA's at $9.50-$10.00 box) always have stock on hand (it sits for months on end), but the discount stores, like Dick's, Wal-Mart, Bass Pro, etc. always seem to be in short supply around here.

Particularly hard to come by are any of the handicap loads, and sometimes the Light Target loads get scarce.

Is there so much demand for AA's that W-W can't keep these dealers supplied? I find that hard to believe, since we are supposedly in a recession...

When I question the clerks at these stores as to why they are always out of or low on AA's, they just say "this is all we get".

Has anyone else experienced this?

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

DICKS has been absolutly horrible on stocking ammo, apparently they do not restock stores with what they sell per say. This has been a on going issue at the dicks in plymouth mass. I have become a shell whore, I buy whats on sale and in stock. They no longer take rain checks either. A nother reason I started reloading. EX when I got my wife into shooting I started her off with the Winchester low noise low recoil shells. 24g 900fps shells. Great beginer load. Then they stopped having them, next was the Remington managed recoil shells those slowly where not re stocked. Then they became a special order item. DO NOT ORDER ANYTHING FROM DICKS!!!!. Well thats how I started reloading.

3. dustquest

dustquest TS Member

Unless I have a coupon, I have stopped buying anything at Dicks, Gander, etc. I have seen the same "shortage" thing in Upstate New York with WalMart though. We have an ammo supply house that always has good prices and availability. My best advise is to look to see what you have near you in the wholesale/ammo arena...I feel your pain!!

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

bluedsteel- I suspect the same person who orders shells for Dick's in Carolina orders them for the stores in Virginia. Dick's is having a sale today that brings the price of AA shells down to around $65 a flat. I think I will test them out again today (Columbus Day Sale).

Pat Ireland

5. Marco Polo

Marco Polo TS Member

IF I was the buyer for one of these stores, I would be REALLY CAREFUL on how much I was buying in todays market. The prices are so fluid right now that I would not want to be caught with a store full of high priced shells. The price of most components to make shells is falling. Look at the price of lead shot. It's gone from some prices above $50.0 per bag to the mid $30.00's right now. <br>
    <br>
    I usually stock up the reloading components for my rifles and handguns in late fall so that I can load during the winter months. This fall every time I start getting an order together, the prices go down, so I am waiting. Brass prices for .223 and .204 Ruger have dropped $5 - $10 per 500 since the middle of September and everyone is running sales on bullets right now. They're trying to dump their higher priced inventory before the wholesale prices drop.

6. Terry L A

Terry L A TS Member

BluedSteel: I would suspect the so called "discount stores" have ran into the same wholesale costs which require them to sell AA at $9.00 - $10.00/ box in order to make a little money. There is plenty of supply but the delivered price on AA's has been the tough pill to swallow. The so called discounters would rather be out of stock and blame it on short supply rather than get beat up by some of us for charging too much! Terry

7. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I have worked for both Dick's and Wal-Mart and most of the major sales that generate a coupon(Dick's)are from corporate headquarters. They usually have a certain amount that are to go on sale and are distributed to store according to sales per item by store.

In the case of Wal-Mart they by in huge quantities and distribute them to store according to sales. All reorders at Wal-Mart are done by the computer unless special order for a customer or by the store manager.

When an item on the shelves has not reached reorder point it does not get ordered again until the quantity is below a certain number of the items on hand. In a lot of cases when the computer in the store does order the warehouse may be below their restock point and will not distribute unless it is a high volume store for that item. Before their(warehouse)inventory is replenished.

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

winchester aa shortage