1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AA Reloads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by phirel, Mar 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phirel

phirel TS Member

The powder is an OEM version and not available to reloders. I use a Win primer, Winchester wad and a powder charge from a reliable reloading Manuel. I do like both American Select and Clay Dot powder for my light loads and Green Dot for heavy loads.

Pat Ireland

2. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Didn't Winchester (or Hodgdon or someone) recently market a powder that it is claiming will produce a reload identical to the AA target loads? I seem to remember magazine ads featuring 2 AA shells side-by-side asking which was the real deal.

Morgan

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

WST from winchester I believe is what that add was for. I know before hodgdon powder took over Win Powder there was a winlite and superhandicap powder also. So far I love Clays for almost everything, International can be nice for handicaploads.

4. bigben

bigben Active Member

Hodgdon powders have now the Winchester powders, The Winchester super handicap powder provide ballistics of their super handicap load and is a very versatile powder and only 18.5 grains are needed for the 1255 load! they also have Winchester's Lite powder. Go online and visit Hodgdon , incinerate em!

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you look in the Winchester Reloading Manual they mark the loads that duplicate factory loads with a * . HMB

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Chrno AA's 3 dram, they will be about 1250. Reload to 1250 with any load you like, and you've reloaded to an AA.

7. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

(Reverence on line data from Hodgdon web site.

Winchester AA Hulls (once fired)

11/8 of #71/2 shot

WAA12 wad (Winchester name brand)

Federal 209A primer

17.5 grains if Hodgdon's Internat'l powder.

Velocity = 1200fps

This is my load for handicap (26yds). When I do my part, this load gives very good breaks to ink balls on the target. Felt recoil (perceived), not bad.

Frank

8. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

"Thanks, all. How about the wad?"

Assuming the use of all Winchester components to duplicate a Winchester load...

<center>[​IMG]<br>[​IMG]<br>[​IMG]</img><br>[​IMG]</center>

There is data for other Hodgdon powders on the web site using other powders, primers and wads. There are no asterisks to indicate which component combinations "duplicate" the factory loads.

Morgan

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The asterisk was used in the printed loading guides from Winchester. They should still be available. Check the website www.wwpowder.com.

Using the Win AA hull, with Winchester Primers, Winchester Powders, and Winchester Wads, and Winchester shot, should allow you to make a "Winchester" load with whatever payload and velocity you'd like. WST is used for the 1145 and 1200 fps target loads. Other powders are used as required. They claim that these are the same powders that are loaded in factory ammo.

10. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I omitted the data for the WSF powder from my screencaps because the velocities for the shells loaded with it started at over 1300 fps for a 1 1/8 oz.load.

Morgan

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

captain, how did you copy that? Every time I try to copy text like that it comes out in one long unreadable mess!!!

12. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

" captain, how did you copy that? Every time I try to copy text like that it comes out in one long unreadable mess!!!"

I used a small utility called the "Faststone Screen Capture". It will outline and capture any section from any screen (including open PDF files) and allow them to be saved like any other file. The caps I posted were saved as .jpeg files and uploaded to Photobucket for linking. I keep a link in the "quick launch" toolbar. When I want to capture something, I click the icon to open the small control panel that appears on the screen; select the function I want lets me capture and save the image in no time.

These same developers also have an "Image Viewer" that is a high-powered image editor. Both very easy to learn. Link to screen cap utility above.

Morgan

13. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

huh! Ill try it

14. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Let me know if you run into problems with it.

Morgan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.