1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AA reloads for auto

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 4th. down, Dec 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

I have loaded many thousands of aa's and used them in autos with no problems. However, the separate basewad is always a question mark for me.

Have any of you had a bad experience with a AA reload basewad separating and if it did separate, would the empty hull eject? If the fired empty hull ejects then you would never know that a possible basewad remains in the muzzle. Kinda scary actually.

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I don't reload any 2 piece hulls for auto's or slide guns. A 3 cent hull isn't even close to being worth it. It only takes once.

Besides, if nothing else it is just another distraction.

ss

3. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

I'd like someone explain to me how - given Newton's Third Law of Motion - the base wad of a two piece hull could eject into the barrel upon firing. It's behind the powder charge and being driven backwards, not forwards, right?

Just doesn't seem possible .

4. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

kiv-c, it's just something else to worry about, when ya don't have anything else.

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

kiv-c,

Until you witness this event, you just won't understand.

I have seen it firsthand. The basewad made it all the way to the crimp. It was hanging half way out of the fired hull. This was about 4 years ago.

ss

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The base wad in the new AAs doesnot migrate. Take one of the hulls apart and see if you can remove the base wad. Let us know what you find. HMB

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I have loaded and fired many thousands of the new style AA hulls. Not one has had a loose basewad. I don't load them more than five loadings or so and toss them before they get too ugly. I load on Mecs, so the basewads are supported during the priming stage. I also inspect EVERY hull with a strong light on the inside, before loading. I'm not saying it can't happen, just that I have never seen it, even at all of the clubs I shoot at. I shoot a gaspipe, so if it were a major concern, I'd not be using them. I HAVE seen basewad migrations in other hulls, but never a AA.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

I do not have a problem with the new style AA hulls. I did have some friends on this site send me a few of the early ones that did have a loose basewad but these had been loaded many times more than I would load them.

HMB- As you know I have cut apart several AA hulls in an effort to remove the base wad. The only way I could do it was to use a 1/2 drill bit and drill through the brass head. Sometimes, but not always, the base wad would get stuck on the drill bit. Using a vice and a pair of pliers will not work.

Pat Ireland

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Ever tried to get a pilot bushing out of the end of an engine crankshaft? How do you do it? Get something in between the bushing and the crank recess, and push it out with pressure.

Though it is highly unlikely, and probably doesn't happen often, I believe that is what happens when you get base wads coming out of two piece hulls. Somehow, powder gets behind it and pressure pushes it out.

Do I think this is a big problem? No. Lots and lots of people use AA two piece hulls successfully.

On the other hand, I just use Remington hulls, so I never think about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.