1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AA Reloading Trouble

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by zelmo96, Jul 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zelmo96

zelmo96 Member

Hey guys, I am having trouble with new gray AA once fired hulls getting a line or cut around them. I have always used WT12 orange wads with no problems. I have not reloaded any of these for a couple years because I had a ton of them. Could the problem be that the WT12 is not tapered? If so, what is a good tapered hull to load 1 1/8 1250 fps loads in the gray AA's. I was going to try the DR XL1 1/8, are these tapered? Thanks, Al Baker

2. zelmo96

zelmo96 Member

I forgot. I reload on a newer MEC Grabber. No problems in the past. Thanks again, Al

3. perazzi_01

perazzi_01 Member

Do you mean a crease?....or an actual cut/perferation?

4. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

Try turning the start crimp down 1 or 1&1/2 turns if it is a line just above the base metal about 1/4 to 3/8".

5. zelmo96

zelmo96 Member

I got both, some were creased and some had a fine cut around the whole shell.

6. zelmo96

zelmo96 Member

The crease/cut seems to be at the top of the plastic piece inside the hull.

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I seem to remember you need to lower your precrimp and raise your crimping die. The AA seizes on the crimping die and is forced down causing the wrinkle. Raise the crimping die, and lower the crimp stem to get what you want...

8. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Here is what Winchester used to say when the new style hulls first came out:

Reloading the New AA® High Strength Hull

Winchester has designed the new 12-guage AA high strength hull to reload with the same reloading data as the old AA hull. However, on some reloading machines, even though the components and reloading data are the same, there may need to be a minor adjustment made to the reloading machine to optimaze load fit and appearance.

Some adjustments that can be made:

Shooters need to lower the starter crimp or pie crimp (Fig 1). Proper adjustment should eliminate the slight buckle some shooter see if this adjustment is not made.

The shell in Fig 2 shows an example of the crimp after adjusting the starter crimp stage. Shooters should not be able to put a pencil eraser down into the shell after the proper adjustment.

Another adjustment that can be made is to the wad ram (Fig 3). Most reloading machines are setup for 25 to 30 lbs. of pressure. An increase of wad pressure (up to 45 lbs.) will help seat the wad, and will help the final crimping on the shell.

On some reloading machines with a tapered crimp die, be sure that the final crimping stage on the reloading machine is clean and has no residue build up.

Please contact your reloading machine manufacturer if you need additional assistance making the proper adjustments to your reloader.

Shooter have found that after making a slight adjustment to the reloading machines good quality crimps and long reloading life are consistenly obtained with the new AA high strength hull. The old style AA hull can also be reloaded with the new adjustments.

END QUOTE

9. rexxon631g

rexxon631g Member

I understand your pain I was having the same problems,I contacted Winchester and they told me where to mail the shells so they could be looked at by them---------but I would have to pay the shipping. They have a problem and want me to pay the shipping back to them. After 30+++ years of shooting and reloading Winchester components I switched to Remington and am not sorry.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

During the crimping operation you are smashing the components inside the shell. Raising the final crimp will take care of the problem. Dropping the crimp starter will let you end up with a nice looking crimp. One turn, or a bit less, on each of these stations will solve the problem.

Pat Ireland

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Lower the pre-crimp, add a little wad pressure, and back off a little on the cam at the crimp station. That will usually do the trick. Sometimes backing off the final "taper" die is also required. A quick phone call to Mec will get you fixed. Have the phone in your hand and be near the press when you call. They will usually walk you through it. The issue is that you are trying to compress the hull at some point and that results in buckling or a crease in the tube. A couple of easy adjustments will usually correct it. I found that I can load Winchesters and Remingtons with the same settings, or just a minor tweak if needed. My 8567 Grabbers, 650s, and 9000s all work fine once they have been tweaked for these hulls.

12. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

The early AA were a great shell for reloading. 10 reloads were not uncommon. When Winchester kept cheapening their AA with diff. plastic formulas and straight hulls with an insert, you were lucky to get 4-5 reloads. They were not worth the hassle,especially the current ones. I solved the problems by switching to Remington STS, nitro 27,gun club. They load great with almost no adjustments. Just my experience after reloading since 1957,which does not make me a know it all. I continue to learn and value others opinions. Reloading is annother hobby for me.

13. dontate

dontate Member

I agree with 1oldtimer as it seems the newer Winchester hulls are of very poor quality. Remington green and gold hulls load without any adjustments. I have an old pacific 366 loader, the Remington hulls cycle evenly and are very consistent in the final product. Try some Remington golds, I bet they go through your machine alot smoother than the Winchesters.

14. TC

TC TS Member

Al, make sure you mark and toss the hulls with the "crease". After firing it will just about disappear but will come back when you run it through your loader. You will probably try to make adjustments using defective hulls if you don't. Took me a while to figure it out but I haven't had any crease or wrinkle in several years now. Tony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

reloading problems aa

trubble reloading new aa shels