1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AA reload question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ZakDeutschendorf, Feb 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZakDeutschendorf

ZakDeutschendorf TS Member

I have a reloading question. Has anybody reloaded the new Winchester AA Heavy hulls with the white/grey/clear I find it hard to tell, base wads? I have heard that the base wads can separate and become stuck in the barrel producing explosive results. I have called Winchester and they say they are fine but I want to get more opinions. I want to load them in 1 ounce 8.5 with 17.6 grains of clays powder on a Spolar gold reloader. Since these loads will be lighter I don't see much problem but I just want to be sure. Thanks

2. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

The factory has more to lose by giving you bad information than anyone on this forum does.

Believe Winchester!

Carol Lister

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The white basewads seems to be an even newer version of the two piece hull. I've loaded thousands of them many times over. I also use a Mec reloader that presses the basewad down onto the primer while priming the hull. Some loaders press the primer into the hull. I prefer not to load the Winchestwer AA hulls on those loaders, just in case. I've never seen a migrated basewad or separation in these hulls yet. I've heard some rumours, but have never seen any direct evidence. There may have been some of the earlier ones out there wih some issues, but I have never personally seen any.

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I too have reloaded thousands of newer AA 2 piece hulls without any problems. Most of my red hulls have a red base wad but some have a gray base wad. I have seen the white base wad in the cheaper steel base Super Target hulls but I don't reload them. I use a PW 900 loader and it does not push the base wad down. Rumor has it that the first AA 2 piece hulls with a box around AA had a base wad problem but Winchester quietly fixed the problem.

5. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

I have reloaded thousands also with no problems. I will only shoot those kinds of shells in break open guns. I have gotten into the habit of looking for day light down that tube after every shot.

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

That is the exact load I use, Works great at the 16. I load on a Dillon. I have loaded tens of thousand of those hulls. Never had a problem.

7. dverna

dverna Active Member

Zak,
    I know of one blow up (from a trusted source) many years ago that was blamed (not proven) on the AA hull. The guy will not reload AA's.

I have had one base wad separation. I found it during reloading. A Green Duster wad had not fully seated and had hung up on the base wad. I was reloading on a PW 800+ and it is possible the seating of the primer caused the base wad to dislodged.

I will not shoot reloaded AA's in an autoloader or pump. I look down the barrels of my trap guns and have never seen a stuck wad; even with AA's up to 8 times. It is a small thing to glance down the barrels and it becomes a habit very quickly.

Don

8. Scoutman 06

Scoutman 06 Member

I have reloaded several thousand of the newer style AA's using a MEC Grabber & have found one base wad dislodged. As an experiment, I went ahead & reloaded that shell, leaving the base wad as is & then cut apart the finished shell. The base wad had reseated & no powder was under it. As a precaution, I check all hulls before reloading & follow Three Deuces recommendation of always looking for daylight down the barrel before inserting another round. John

9. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Thousands for me, too. No problems so far. I've loaded some of my hulls 6-7 times. That recipe sounds like a good one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.