1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AA Paper Hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Firekiller, Jul 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firekiller

Firekiller TS Member

I have an older friend of mine that dropped of a trash can full of once fired AA paper hulls. My only problem is that all my books are modern and have no recipes for the older hulls. Any Help?

2. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

I never heard of a AA "paper" hull. If they are AA stamped they must really be old or it was some kind of special run I never heard of. I live 30 miles from the Olin plant & never heard of that one. Winchester did make a paper hull way back when but I don't remember ever hearing it called AA. Maybe somebody on here has an answer to that one. My reload books go back into the 1960's with no mention of a paper AA. Colonel

3. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

You can use the same primer, powder, shot charge as stated for paper federals. You need to get different wad such as the PP29964 (Power Piston Wad, developed for the All American hull) or the red Winchester wad. They weren't AA's but as Taxidermy said Winchester Target. BRGII

4. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hi there,
    If you load them, you need to make sure to push that base wad down. It's a separate piece and sometimes creeps up out of position a little. Just use your pinky finger to push it down with. Any standard 1200 fps powder/shot combo works. Use the win. red (short) wad. They were a real treat to shoot, and one of the softest shooting hulls ever made. Back in those days, the recipe was 23.5 gr. of Win. 473, win. 209, red wad, and 1 1/8 oz. shot. Use a 6 point crimp starter and they will crimp real nice. Be sure to line up the crimp starter with the fold marks in the hull. It'll take 2 or 3 to get good crimps. These hulls I'm talking about were red, and said Super Target on them. Good luck! Oh yeah, make sure they are dry and the humidity level is down when you load them.
    -powderburn

5. batman1004

batman1004 TS Member

don't waste your time takes a special little red wad they load like crap just throw them away. win super targets was one of the best shells ever made but don't try to reload them. g3

6. Firekiller

Firekiller TS Member

Yeah sorry. They are W-W super target. Thanks for all the info. This forum is a great source of info. I have never shot papers before. The friend of mine said they were nice to shoot and gave me a bunch so why not try em. Thanks Again.
    Luke

7. IMR 7625

IMR 7625 Member

I STILL HAVE A BARREL AND HALF OF THESE AND LOAD THEM OFTEN

18 GR. OF RED DOT OR PRMO AND LITTLE RED AA WAD THEY JUST SMOKE THEM IF YOU

DON'T WANT THEM I WILL PAY SHIPPING TO MY PLACE

8. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Great way to buldge a barrel. Probley more done with reloaded super targets then any other round. Federal Papers they are not. That said, I would load them one time. Jeff

9. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

Got a Rem 11 barrel that dont like them. ring in it. Dont shoot in a auto. I have some wads If you need them

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Not worth the trouble or risks.

11. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

These were some of the finest shooting shells ever produced by Winchester. Above is correct, as they required a short red wad. I used to reload them only once, using a Herter's wad for first shot in doubles. After that, they had a great tendency to burn through.

I still have a couple around here at the shop. Have one is my trophy case. They were call Winchester Super Targets.

I shot them exclusively in the late 70's and early 80's when I could find them. I preferred them in handicap (27 yards). Those and the Federal paper handicaps are my most favorite shells of all times. Only the Federal is obtainalbe todate.

Whiz

12. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

They had a top and bottom cup wad. The bottom one remained in hull and would frequently cover the primer flash hole for a misfire when reloaded. Great to shoot new. D Winter

13. Barry C. Roach

I have an old customer who has just less than 100 cases (five hundred to a case). She bought them before WW quit production. I can't get her to let them go and maybe they wouldn't be any good now anyway. Don't papers lose their pressure after long term storage?

14. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

I think I saw Leo Harrison shooting them at the Grand in the mid 70s. If my memory serves me well, he did real good with them. Larry

15. Barry C. Roach

Dan Bonillas really tore things up with them.

16. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

When in my mid teens one of my "jobs" was to reload shells for my Dad. The paper shells were what was available in the mid to late 60's. I reloaded using a single stage Mec that had what would best described as a curling iron attachment that was mounted vertically to the right side of the reloader.

The process started with the shells standing upright on the left side of the table. A shell would be deprimed while a second shell was momentarily placed on the curling iron to "open the shell mouth." If you dawdled or daydreamed the wax on the outside of the shell would begin to melt and drip down.

When all the shells were deprimed and resized they would be on the right side of the reloading table. The slick masonite table top facillitated easy movement of the shells back to the left side of the table using a small stick to push the shells.

Thereafter, powder was added . . . then a two part wad was inserted followed by shot and the crimping stage. It wasn't a very fast process. My Dad usually shot once a week - singles and handicap and occasionally the doubles event. That coupled with a little bit of practice usually required around 300 shells per week.

I don't recall the number of grains, but the powder was Red Dot and was purchased in a metal 4 or 8 pound red canister. I can still recognize the smell of Red Dot if anyone is shooting it and I'm downwind ! Smells better than Channel #5 or Old Spice to me ! !

17. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

That heat iron you are talking about is called a case conditioner, I have one but haven't used it for 40 years. R

18. batman1004

batman1004 TS Member

I wish winchester would make the paper super target again they would improve their slow sale of shells AA not the shell they use to be just have to stick with federals and for a so called cheap shell estates. Boy if winchester could make the papers and sell them for $5.00 a box they would corner the world market for shells. I will have to stick with black cats today on the 4th. g3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.