1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AA Loading Problems ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kcbullets, Feb 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

I just starting loading on my PW 800+. I wanted to start with some new style AA hulls. Upon completing the shell, the crimp wasn't deep enough. As I looked at the first crimp station I notice that the shot seems to be near the top, thus probably not allowing the crimp to seat fully. So I tried some old AA hulls. The old hulls seem to collapse a bit. I am using old WinAA wads, 1 1/8 oz of shot, and about 20 grains of International Clays. Any suggestions? Is it the hulls, wads, or adjustments on the reloader?

2. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

I do have plenty of Nitro hulls too, but wanted to see if I could learn how to fix the problem with the AA's. I have read that the AA HS hulls have some trouble with the AA wads, and just switch to a shorter wad like DR. But I am getting buckling with the old AA hulls with the AA wads.

I was told the reloader was set for Nitros. I probably should try those to see how they turn out. Typically is the reloader settings the same for Win and Rem hulls? I know the components are different.

3. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

The HS AA's are about 1/8" shorter in OAL than STS hulls. So you need to adjust your pre-crimp and crimp stations to get the right finish. I haven't loaded that exact load, but using factory AA wads should get you a pretty nice finished shell. Maybe a difference between old and new white AA wad length?

4. gcessna

gcessna Member

I had problems with the crimp being not deep enough and then blooming, raising up and friend told me to use the downrange DRRF8 direct replacement for Remington figure 8 & CB8118-12, this a gold color. I have had no problems with either hull since. This is for 1oz. I was using the claybuster CB1100-12 pink WAA12SL replacement. I spent many hours adusting the crimp and couldn't get it. I have a 9000-G. A friend uses a single stage MEC with the pink wad and gets a great crimp.

Gary Cessna

5. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

gcessna has it right use the Rem wads in your HS hulls they slide down past that lip. You may have to use a 1&1\8 oz wad for your 1oz loads when using a bulky powder. Ross Puls

6. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

I am using the Winchester wads and was not having any problem the AA, Nitro or STS with the 9000 manual unit I had used a long time. I went from one shell to another without a problem. The Nitro and STS hulls had more swirl in the crimp so I know they must be slightly longer.

I went to an older Mec Hydraulic Hustler and had many problems. Increasing he depth of the starting crimp location and adjusting the final crimp got the old Mec to act like the 9000 but took a long time.

My AA hulls were not closing enough at the crimp. After some adjustments they were buckling near the bottom of the wads. Increasing the crimp starting depth seemed to help the buckling. Reducing the final crimp pressure also assisted the buckling problem.

Good luck getting it all set up.

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Try the Claybuster clones. Check your wad seating, your shot should be just below the crease for the crimp. If not you will always have a problem, regardless of wad. Get that right then move on to pre crimp and crimp. I have loaded many 1000's of AA's on my 800+.

8. DaveXT

DaveXT Member

New AA hulls, WWA12 wads, 1 1/8 shot, with red dot powder. Loads look like factory. Western wad produces the same result. A friend uses the CB wad and his are great as well. I might think you need some adjustment.

Dave

9. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

First thing I am going to try is changing to DR wads. I will see that effect on them. I am trying to prevent from changing settings on loader, if possible. Confusing to me why the old AA,s will buckle occasionally.

10. Rick Young WY

Rick Young WY TS Member

I am using old plastic AA huals with no problem on my mec grabber. Grabber is the old all metal parts one and it works great. I am 1 1/8 oz using a Versalite DRV-12(Downrange Mgf.). It also works great for STS with this combination.

Rick Young WY

11. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Well-Known Member

I use Clays powder and all of the problems I was having with the Win HS AAs was a space issue. Now I use 1 oz wads for 7/8 oz loads, 1-1/8 oz wads for 1 oz loads in the HS AAs and they load great. No buckling and no holes in the crimps.

12. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I use various DR wads interchangeably with both AA and STS hulls. it's just about getting the precrimps set to allow both to work...

13. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

BigM , That is the way it should work if the dies are adjusted properly. Appears that some are trying different components searching for the one that makes up for improperly adjusted dies.

14. Doughboy

Doughboy Member

I just recently tried the clay buster 1118 wad (with new lead in taper). It definitely provides the needed room.

Good luck.

15. CMPeterson

CMPeterson Member

Downrange Spolar Gold wads for old, new AA Rems gun clubs and have no problems with either on a 9000 h. Loading international, long shot, and red dot, the best wad ever!
    Cory

16. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

I was able to try some DownRange wads with the AA and AA HS (old and new) this evening. The AA HS crimped nicely with no deformation of hull. However the old AA continued to buckle slightly. Additionally, the primers did not seat fully in the old AA's. I am very happy with the AA HS results.

I am hopeful the Rem hulls load as nice as the AA HS's with no modifications to the loader.

Thanks for the input to everyone. Wondered if anyone could explain why the primer would not seat fully in the old AA's, but did in the AA HS's. Using Win209.

17. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

I quit loading Win cases 20 years ago and have never regretted it. Not even worth the effort since there are such fine other choices.

JMO of course YMMV

Charlie

18. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

KCbullets,

I've done quite a bit of research on this because I was having the same problem as you are experiencing. The root of the problem is the downrange wads.

The first problem is they are .010 larger on the diameter at the base than the winchester or claybuster wads. Also they are made from virgin plastic, which is very slippery and will creep up the walls of the hull. Due to being .010 larger on the diameter, they are very close to the size of the AA hull inside diameter. And if there is any kind of air pressure built up under the wad when you load it, the virgin plastic slips and up creeps the wad. I actually had one creep up the hull and dump the shot all over the loading table.

With the smaller diameter winchester or claybuster wads, they don't creep up the hull because the air escapes around the outside diameter of the wad once you load it.

Try changing to winchester or claybuster wads. They both make a wad that is cheap and you can load 1 oz. or 1 1/8 oz. with the same wad.

Kevin

19. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

Kevin

With WAA wads and DRA12 wads while using in the AA CF's I am experiencing buckling. Neither of those two wads work so I believe it is a machine setting.

With WAA wads and the AA HS hulls I am experiencing poor crimps. However with the DRA12 wads and the AA HS hulls I am getting GOOD crimps. The DRA12's are slightly shorter and therefore in these hulls seem to be working well.

If the Rem hulls load similar to the HS's then my plan is to leave the settings alone. If they load similar to the CF's then I plan to change settings.

I hoped that the old and new AA's, and the Rem hulls loaded the same with my PW800+ so I could interchange. The machine was suppose to be set for 'Rem hulls. Not sure yet if the Rem hulls will load more like the old or new AA's. I am hoping the new AA's and then I am set. Hopefully that makes since.

20. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Love winchesters, send all you have to me...

no sense having a hating relationship.

also, anyone doesn't want the DR wads, send them to me also...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

crimping issues with new aa cases

how deep to seat a wad in a shot shell image

loading aa hs hulls

loading issues aa hs hulls

what wads to use in newer aa shot shell

when using win aa cases have trouble getting 1oz loads to crimp right whats up