1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AA Lite

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chichay, Jul 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Among my powder stash(predominantly Clays & Promo), I found an 8# jug of Winchester AA Lite. Please share your experience with this powder for 12ga
    1-1/8oz, 1oz and 7/8oz loads. Anything I have to especially watch out for? Have seen some interesting recipes for it in the Hodgdon website. Thanks. Chichay

2. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

It's my favorite powder. STS with Claybusters & W209.

13.5g(CB0178-12) 7/8

14.2g(CB1100-12) 1 oz.

3. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

I use AA Lite in a 1 oz load with a Claybuster CB1100-12 wad, STS hull, for first shot in doubles. Very little recoil with an awesome pattern that smokes them. Bob

4. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

From your phrasing I wonder if you have Winchester Super Lite (which is discontinued powder that works well for 1.125 oz loads but wouldn't be good for lighter loads) or the relatively new AA Lite (which I've found to be the best powder I've used for .875 oz loads in Win AA cases)

5. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

HTSmith,

The jug is labelled Winchester AA Lite and had this recipe printed on it:

"Case- WAA HS 12ga; Primer- W209; Wad-WAA12SL; Shot-28gms; Powder-12.0grains; Velocity-980*

*Duplicates factory load"

I had the same concern as you until I realized Super Lite and AA Lite are different powders.

Chichay

Thanks for all the replies. Please keep it coming.

6. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

Now that I know for sure what you've got, the AA Lite gives me the best loads in terms of velocity variation for 7/8 oz of any I've tried. Low charge weights. You'll need wads specifically for 7/8 oz because the powder doesn't take up much room. I'd like to get my hands on some Alliant extra lite but can't find any.

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

If you try that load on the label, be prepared to be surprised. The recoil is almost non-existent, and for 16 yard targets, it'll vaporize them.

Kicks like a 410.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.