1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AA Hulls loaded with a SL-900 Dillon PROBLEM.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RugerLover1, Jun 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RugerLover1

RugerLover1 TS Member

I have loaded many AA hulls with my SL-900 with no problems. I started using the 2 piece hulls and I am scrapping 5 out of 20. When it get to the final crimp it crushes the hull. I remember loading these hulls with a MEC 9000G and I don't remember having an issue.
    Does anyone have any luck loading these 2 piece with a Dillon?
    I talked to Dillon and they said it was the fact that 2 piece hull was junk.
    Any help would be appreciated as I have several thousand of these hulls.

George

2. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

On a Mec you have to set the crimp starter up so that it leaves a hole at the crimp top that an ordinary #2 pencil will just fit into. You might try that because a Mec will do the same thing if you don't set the crimp starter that way.

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Raise your final crimp 1/4 turn. Then adjust the pre-crimp to get about a 70% fold over. I load these shells all the time on a Dillon with no problems.

4. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

I solved this problem by setting the start crimp down to close the shell a little more. All the hulls are not the same length and I found this is what caused the problem. Set the start crimp till the shell is almost closed. That is how I solved the problem.

Dave

5. atexaspete

atexaspete Member

Don't mean to steal this thread, but there seems to be a bit of Dillon knowlege here.
    I am having problems loading once fired Remington Gun Clubs. On the final crimp, the primer gets pushed back out of the pocket about 1/16". I've had no problem loading them on MEC 9000g's, but after close inspection the MEC supports the outside edge of the new primer where the Dillon doesn't. I can change to AA's or Nitro (or green STS) with no adjustments and the problem goes away.
    I've tried every adjustment I know of. Dillon rep simply sez: "You must not be loading with recommended components. That's not the case.
    Anybody had the same problem? For now, I'm just loading STS's, but hate not loading the Gun Clubs since I have access to unlimited once-fired hulls.
    Thanks in advance for any help or comment,
    Mike

6. Bridger

Bridger Member

When I tried loading the HS hulls on my Dillon they kept getting caught in the sizer. I don't even try any longer. Dillon told me they were difficult hulls to reload and since I have a couple of lifetimes supply of Remington hulls I had no reason to keep trying. I load STS and Gun Clubs interchangeably with no problem. Have your hulls been loaded with other primers that could enlarge the primer pocket? The only time I have a loose primer is if the hull had previously been loaded using Fiocchi and I use a different primer such as a Wolf. When calling Dillon, ask for Gary ( I think that's his name), he's more knowledgeable about the shotshell loader than the other techs and has helped me out a few times with some very good advice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
crimp problem with dillon sl900
dillon 900 crimp
dillon sl 900 crimp problems
dillon sl900 sunken crimp

final crimp stage adjustment on dillon sl 900