1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AA hulls info

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blkfin, Jan 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkfin

blkfin Member

Hope someone can help me out. I have been given quite a few once fired AAs in 12 gauge. A lot of the hulls have coarse edges around the around the base. I,m not sure if the were picked up with some sort of machine or not. I'm wondering if these edges will damage my reciever. Thanks for any input, I would hate to throw out a few thousand AAs but do not want to have a problem with my gun. Mike K.

2. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

blkfin:

"...coarse edges around the around the base" sounds like roughed up brass. If so, the steel of any chamber/receiver should be sufficiently tough to digest them unless the damage to the hull is bad enough to compromise the hulls' physical integrity or cause chambering/ejection problems.

sissy

PS: Someone will be along shortly to tell you the cause is migrating basewads and that you and your gun are soon doomed. : )

3. blkfin

blkfin Member

sissy, The brass is'nt real bad just nicked around the edges as you stated. Loading them causes no problem and they eject fine.I'm just concerned about the long term effect on the reciever. Yoy think that the brass being much softer should cause no harm. Maybe I'm just being over protective of my pet gun. Thanks Mike K.

4. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

blkfin

I can't imagine brass -scruffed or otherwise- having any detrimental effect on your gun.

sissy

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Mike- I am not sure what your description of coarse edges around the base actually means? Are you referring to nicks on the brass rim? If the hulls chamber and eject properly, they should not cause any damage to your gun. If there are some large nicks in the brass rim, you might see a little brass shaving as the gun is closed. This can easily be tested with empty hulls.

Pat Ireland

6. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Little nicks in the brass are usually caused by the extractor on autoloading guns. I've never found these to harm anything as far as reloading or damaging a gun is concerned.

Your gun is made of TOUGH steel. A nick in the edge of the brass isn't likely to hurt it in the slightest.

Easystreet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.