1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AA Hulls / HS or not !

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hullman1, Apr 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hullman1

Hullman1 TS Member

OK, I'm really confused about the new style AA hulls. Just to be clear I'm talking about the 2 piece not the compression. I have heard some of the older styles having issues with the base cup separating from the hulls. I know they made some changes and came out with the HS hulls and it is stamped on the brass base as HS. Some of the threads I have read here, Shotgun World or the internet are so different. Some say it is the hulls with the printing AA boxed in and others say some of the HS with AA boxed in are bad also!

I just recently purchased some grey AA hulls advertised with a picture of the base stamping as HS. When I received the hulls all the brass base stampings say 12 GA. They also have WINCHESTER on the top and AA on the bottom of the brass base when looking at it. Some of the printing on the hulls have the AA in the box and some of them don't.

Does the HS only pertain to the base cup altercations Winchester made to fix this issue? Was their AA hulls made to be HS but not have the HS stamping on the brass base?

Thanks to anyone who has knowledge about this issue.

2. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Here is a pic that should shed some light. Left to right: First, second and current generation two piece AA hulls.

[​IMG]

The first generation two piece AA's had the base wad issues. They glued them in tighter in the second generation. Changed the basewad design to lock in place in the current underlined generation.

Sorry for the watermark but someone has already poached this pic for an ad.

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Are they light grey or dark gray. Light=compression formed, Dark=HS.

4. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

The basewad has never been "glued" in.

5. Avaldes

I have to disagree with that. I have disassembled quite a few AA's and they most certainly did have either an adhesive or a plastic weld to attach the two pieces. I can provide photos if needed, but take my word for it, they are glued...sometimes poorly.

[​IMG]

3 generation of hulls cut open

[​IMG]

Adhesive residue clearly visible in all three generations

[​IMG]

Gen 1

[​IMG]

Gen 2

[​IMG]

Gen 3

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The base wads of evolutions 2 and 3 are NOT and were NEVER glued in.

They are retained mechanically by a pair of radial ridges around the edge of the base wad in the area of the brass.

Keller

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Cut a couple of hulls in half length wise and see if you can separate the base wad from the hull. I never could. HMB

8. Unknown1

Not a problem...

Remove the brass from one half and peel the edges of the hull back away from the basewad. I have done this for pictures I posted of the base wads on TS.com.

Keller

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You didn't follow the directions. HMB

10. Unknown1

What directions? I cut the hulls completely in half lengthwise with a band saw , stripped off the brass and removed the base wads.

You won't remove the base wad in 1 piece unless you remove the hull from around it. If it was easy, the ridges wouldn't be doing their job.

Keller

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Don't worry about it. I have shot and reloaded 100,000's of AA's of everything they've made for the last 38 years and never had any problems with any of them, other than a split hull once in a while. I've never had a base come apart.

12. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Some wads still jam up on the inner insert which wrinkles the hull.
    Clyde

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

What oltymer said

14. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

The basewad is crimped into the bottom of the brass with the hull.

I have never had a wad hang up on the basewad. I have never been able to deliberately make it happen either. I think some misinterpret cause and effect.

15. Avaldes

Pictures added to my previous post. Sometimes a pic is worth a thousand words.

16. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

It is possible that they go through a heat proscess where the plastic and the base wad is sealed together and when you cut them you are cutting the hull and the wad making it look like glue----I to have reloaded MANY AA with the base wad and not one so far has come apart that I know of----And as far as the sometime wrinkle---so what----I shoot them and they will break tgts anyway---
    If the wrinkle bothers you,then put them aside and use them for practice---
    I load---STS---Gold Medals---and AAs----In each there is a sometime imperfect reload----Has there ever been a bbl blow-up due to an AA base wad hang-up???

Just wondering-----

George@SJB

17. Avaldes

It appears to be a heat activated film adhesive. One of the parts has the film applied which allows the two parts to be joined without any mess. Then when the two parts are heated, the adhesive is activated. We use this technique building some composite aircraft parts.

18. Hullman1

Hullman1 TS Member

WOW!!! So many different opinions and all with valid points. I guess one of my questions would be if I had these dark grey hulls with no HS stamp on the brass could they be called HS (High Strength)?

19. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"It appears to be a heat activated film adhesive...Then when the two parts are heated, the adhesive is activated."</I></blockquote>Now think about that for second. Winchester is NOT in the business of selling you hulls to reload. They would be tickled if you shot'em, pitched'em and bought new ones.

Why the heck would they go through the expense of applying a HA adhesive between two components that<UL><LI>doesn't activate until after the shell is fired<LI>makes the hull stronger just in time for you to throw it away?</ul>

Keller

20. Gamba Man

Gamba Man Active Member

Would Winchester give a response, if asked. Maybe someone should call and just ask Winchester ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

has there ever been problems with reloading winchester hs hulls

reloading second generation winchester aa

should you reload second generation winchester aa

why winchester hs hulls are different

winchester aa 12 ga internail base cup