1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AA hulls for reloading?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slayer, May 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I have a very good source for the new AA [gray] hulls. I have heard that you can't reload them too many times because of a base wad issue. Can anyone let me know the limitations on these? Also is it a safety issue? thanks Bill

2. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Load em till they wear out. I have never seen a "base wad issue."

3. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I have yet to have seen physical evidence of anyone with a base wad migration. Additionally the base wad issue was during a first run of the HS hulls. They can be identified with the "AA" printed on the hull without the black box around it.

Again you're going to get some that say how dangerous they are but will provide no further evidence other than what they have heard around the clubhouse.

4. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Bill,
    I have a bunch of the new AA's and have never had a problem.
    I keep my eye on them just like Nitro's and STS's.
    When a hull is nearing end of life I just letum drop.

Mike C

5. chipking

chipking TS Member

3 years ago I bought 4000 once fired 12ga AAs from a schools shooting team. I am anal about checking hulls as I load and I found 3 or 4 where the base wad was up 1/4 to 3/8 inch. I chucked these and continued loading and reloading these hulls. I believe that before this batch of hulls finally got dropped I encountered a couple more that had lifted about the same amount. I never encountered a hull where the base wad was gone even though these hulls saw about 6 reloads each before I dropped them. I actually had more problems with early splitting at the crimps ( sometimes 3 -4 per 100 after second load) than base wad migration.

I switched to Remington because I ended up with many thousand almost free. If I needed hulls I would not hesitate to use AAs again.

--- Chip King ---

6. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

chipking, concerning the hulls where you saw the basewad out of position, was the basewad loose in the hull? I am wondering if the basewad actually moved or was that a manufacturing error and like that from the beginning?

7. chipking

chipking TS Member

Don't know. Just saw it was not where it should be tossed it in the trash and continued. However the ones that occurred after I loaded them had to have moved after reloading and shooting because they would have already been in the trash before I loaded them if the base wad was up.

--- Chip King ---

8. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Just because one has not seen something, does not mean it can not happen.

When the first new AA came out. I saw two base wads come to the mouth of the case. That's when we started to check the base wads. You could cut the cases down the sides and then push the base wad out with your thumb. Winchester got a lot of complaints and I believe started working on the issue in the back ground and quietly fixed the problem.

The last AA cases I tried to take the base wads out, I tore the case apart and with pliers could not get the base wad to move.

The problem seems to be fixed and I would have no trouble loading the cases.

Ajax

9. sidious

sidious Member

Thank you OP for posting and thank you all for your inputs as I've been wondering the same.

10. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

good to know that it is not an ongoing problem. thanks all. Bill

11. Laserwizard

Laserwizard Member

I load the snot out of the new AA's. Never once a problem. At least 20,000 rounds in the past 12 months.

I intermittently load the old AA & the new AA with the same load without any issues either.

12. Rodney1966

Rodney1966 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I bet I get 10 to 13 reloads out of my AA's. I throw them out if I see any light shine through the tops, or any cracking. I have never had a problem with the brass base stretching. Now only if I could stop making the occasional stupid mistake of not putting a wad in, or forgetting to watch the primer feed. Such is life in the reloading world.

Cheers Rodney

13. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I dump AAs after 4 or 5 reloads, either because they start to blow soot around the primers or because they start to bulge around the middle and become hard to persuade into the sizing dies of my PWs and the chambers of my XTs. Until then, they're great hulls.

Keller

14. TC

TC TS Member

The first generation new AA's had a box around the AA logo on the hull. The second generation removed the box. The third generation added the "HS" to the base. All of the loose base wads I have seen were from the first generation, haven't found any since.

15. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I had received the same answer about the AA's NOT having a box around them. But, I don't know anything about the "HS".

16. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I've had trouble with the 2 PC Shiny AA's. Brass is coming off the hull. The boxed "AA" single PC are fine. I also have the same problem with Remington STS as well. See pic below. The Shiny AA 2 PC hulls have this identical problem for me. Dave T.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
aa hulls bulge when crimped
aa traacker hull reload
avg aa hull reloading
new winchester aa hull loading problem

reloading aa hs hulls

reloading aa hulls
reloading second generation winchester aa