1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AA Hulls for reloading not staying crimped

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rkneis, Aug 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rkneis

rkneis TS Member

I have a mec reloader and my AA hulls are not staying crimped. Several are not holding and they begin to rise up after a couple of days. Has anyone experienced this and know how to correct.

2. rkneis

rkneis TS Member

I have a mec reloader and my AA hulls are not staying crimped. Several are not holding and they begin to rise up after a couple of days. Has anyone experienced this and know how to correct.

3. rkneis

rkneis TS Member

4. rkneis

rkneis TS Member

5. 7771

7771 Active Member

Wad pressure!!! if its too low it will cause the crimp to suface.
    Tommy

6. gary0920

gary0920 Member

AA hulls don't like tall wads. What kind of wads are you using? What & how much powder and shot?

7. TC

TC TS Member

Two things cause the crimp to creep open, assuming a good crimp is used:

1)Components, too much powder for the wad being used or too much shot.

2)Fatigue, eventually the hull will weaken after being folded over so many times, the exact number will vary for a number of reasons.

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

First of all, you need to tell us what you are loading. The exact components and whether they are the new or old AA hulls. Some wads are problematic and sometimes a bulky powder can be a problem as well. Are the hulls loaded many times, or are they fairly new.

9. glenns

glenns Member

What is 'wad pressure' and how do you adjust it?

10. glenns

glenns Member

Just researched wad pressure. Do you cut the shell to see if there is any space between the powder and the wad?

11. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

rkneis, relax ... you too glenns.

RK, give us which MEC you're using, the exact recipe & named components you're following, and whether the hulls are HS (2 piece) or CF (one piece). 9 chances out of 10 a change in wad will solve all your issues. 'Supposed to' or not, a lot of thinngs just don't fit right in AA-HS hulls.

glenns ... if you HAVE to cut a shell, until you can get an unloader to salvage your components from your mistakes, use a utility knife, and cut a parallel strip a crimp-fold wide the length of your hull and peel it back. Using a flasdhlight in a dark room, like you are candleing an egg might show you all you need to see, too. Try that first.

Sight-unseen, on your MEC Jnr, you're seating the wad. All you have to do for smokeless is just sit the wad on top of the powder with no pressure. Most prefer the wad ram pointer to 'flex' just barely. If your loads look ok and shoot ok, don't try to fix nothing.

Bob

12. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

Definately wad pressure. If you were using enough powder to prevent a proper crimp, you would know. Also, shitcan the AA hulls and get some Remington Golds or Greens. They load much nicer and load data is the same.

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You are either putting too much stuff, or the wrong stuff in the hull. HMB

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

HMB- I think you are correct.

Pat Ireland

15. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

How deep is the crimp?

16. rkneis

rkneis TS Member

ok I appreciate all of your responses and here is some additional information.
    MEC Reloader 9000GN with Auto Mate
    Recipe - 1 oz / AA Gray's / Use two types of powder Clays & International Clays/ 35 bushing, but weigh powder & Clays is 18.7 grains & Inter is 21.5 to 21.7 grains. I only use a claybuster WAA12 white wad. I have never adjusted wad pressure from factory settings. Final crimp is not as deep lately so it may help to increase slightly. Keep the feedback coming. I am dialed in for 1250 to 1275 fps.

Bob

17. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Bob ... Ok, here's my guesses and they're worth what you're paying ...

- there are 1oz wads that fit HS hulls better that the WAAWhite, but that CB clone, itself, shouldn't 'pope' your loads.

- if these are new hulls, Winchester may pulled a little unannounced re-design on you. The GREY hulls are normally 68+mm and the RED are normally 67-mm. One millimeter can make a world of difference.

- If these are 'experienced' hulls, with either of those back-fence loads, as DT10 said, you're not going to get a lot of hull-life. Toss then. (see below)

- your final crimp should be hard, angular and abt 1/16 deep. The 'curb' matters, and helps the pie stay in place. (see below)

[pic] ... all three shells are re-loads. yours should look like them. The first two HULLS are once-fired, with flexible plastic that will take a crimp. The inward-pointy one is used-up and ready to be pitched. Crimping that one, you can't get a 'lock' and you can't get 1250fps with a shitty, soft, shallow crimp.

Bob

[​IMG]

18. batman1004

batman1004 TS Member

stop shooting winchester AA until they make a better hull like rem. sts you load these new AA one time and pitch them they are junk I don't even like them new. G3

19. wlc

wlc Member

I had similar problems with 17 grains of RD and the 1 oz AA wad or the CB clone.
    Switching to the green Duster or the Downrange XL1 eliminated the problem. They are both a little shorter and provide proper crimps.

20. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Having experienced your problem first hand, HMB and WLC above are both correct. Wad pressure WILL NOT cause that problem, no matter what anyone says, unless you are using too much shot or powder and putting 30-40lbs wad pressure on your load. When you force the crimp this way because of overfilling the hull, you will get the results you got. The wad will eventually push up from its "squashed" position and push the crimp out. I switched to Green Dusters and the problems went away. I use just enough wad pressure to just move the indicator, and only do that because I want to remove any air trapped between the powder and wad. I absolutely will not use claybusters for any reason. If you can't buy factory wads, I recommend you stay with Downrange, Windjammer, or Dusters...period.... Just my own experience.. Dan Thome (Trap2)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.