1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AA hulls crushing in PW 800+ New Problenm

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dverna, Apr 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dverna

dverna Active Member

AA hulls crushing in PW 800+ New Problem

I have been using the machine for two years and recently have had quite a few crushed hulls.

I backed off on the taper to see if that helped but it did seem to improve the situation very much.

Also, it seems to be affecting only hulls that were given to me last week. These had been loaded on another machine and before they were fired I noticed the crimp quality was very poor (domed).

I did not try to adjust the crimp as I like the crimp depth to be about the thickness of a dime. Is that the problem?

What should I look for?

Thanks,

Don

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Are you sure they are the new 2 piece hulls with the separate base wad. With all the bad mouthing on the new hulls the only problems I had on my PW 900 were with the last generation of Silver bullets before they went to the separate base wad design. Those problems were with smashed crimps like you describe.

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

Miketmx

The crimp is not crushed.

The hull buckles about mid section.

Don

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I don't have problems with new AA's but I use AA and WT-12 wads that are designed for the 2 piece AA hulls. These wads may be a tad smaller on the over-powder cup.

5. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Don,

i had the problem on my 366. Was using western WT12 wads. Then i got them dialed in. No probs.

Then i ran out of wads and went with the Claybuster WT12 ( orange ) wads. Now, i examined these and compared them side by side, up and down to the westerns, and found no height difference whatsoever. The hull crushing came back, and came back way worse. I adjusted pre crimp, final crimp, i tried everything. Nothing worked.

Finally, i cut one of the hulls apart. The new style Win. with the 2 piece deal, and i have many of them. Some are less than a yr. old, some are from the 2005 grand, some are even older than that. Anyway, with one cut just barely above the basewad, i pushed a wad in and out several times.

What i found was that there isn't ANY margin of error as far as the wad being tipped while trying to pass by the lip of the basewad. Therefore i came to the conclusion that unless the wad goes perfectly straight passed the basewad on it's way to seating on the powder, the wad will catch and stop on the basewad lip, resulting in the wad being too high in the hull, resulting in a crushed hull.

My solution to the problem was getting the STS hulls out and saying to hell with the winchesters. In my opinion they are just too much of a P.I.A to bother with. I have ZERO problems with the STS hulls.

This may not be what you want to hear, but it is my real experience.

Brett D.

6. Mac V

Mac V Guest

I've had absolutely no trouble with AA hulls and Rem Fig 8 wads in my 900.

Since you said they have been previously loaded in another machine, I'd suspect that the other machine or its operator used too much pressure in the final crimp and weakened the hulls walls before he gave them to you. I've had this happen in a loader that doesn't fully support the hull walls during crimping but never in my PW'

Mike

7. TC

TC TS Member

Don, Mike and Skip have it right, once the hull has the slightest wrinkle it will always be weak in that area. Always look at the hull before you use it, if you see even the smallest wrinkle, pitch it. Make sure you use plenty of pre-crimp also. Tony

8. Kolar Dan

Kolar Dan Member

If problem continues- try windjammers.
    Sonny

9. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

Let me say Blizzard got ot exactly right, I even had that base wad stick to the primer removal ram and come out of the case, stick with STS Nrtos or even Gun Clubs are better.

10. dverna

dverna Active Member

Thanks guys.

I am using the Claybuster 1100 wad and I will try a different wad. And my pre-crimp is adjusted as recommended (slightly less than the diameter of a pencil).

I have loaded thousands of AA's so I am thinking it may be the "free" hulls I got. I bought 10,000 AA's recently so I will load 1000 of them up to see if the problem goes away.

Don

11. willing

willing Member

I found this problem using a MEC. The problem turned out to be the wads. Claybusters would cause the crushing and DR XL 1 1/8 did not. They were catching on the basewad as someone else stated.

Bill

12. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

the wad it catching the lip on the base wad of the shell. Had the same thing happen to me using CB Pinks. I bought Green dusters and the problem was solved. They had no problem sliding past the base wad lip.

After I solved the problem, I gave the rest of my new AA hulls away and only use STS.

Use STS and you won't have any problems like this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.