1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AA hull, Whats your opinion for reloading

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by b12, Jan 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I have always used the one iece AA hull and as far as reloading they couldn't be beat. I still have a barrel full of the One piece but they will be gone this summer. I have been trying to losd the new 2 pc hull but have not got the satisification like I did with the one pc. I have been loading the remington Nitro's and STS and seem to be great. Also the gun clubs are surperior to the 2 pc AA's. The red AA's are not as bad as the dark silver or the light silver hull. I get alot of creases or rings around the area where the two hulls are formed. I've done several types of wads, powder but still end up about the same. Just was wonder if many reloaders have had the same problem. Wild Bill

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

It's all about crimp forming adjustments...

3. tarhawk

tarhawk TS Member

My loader, (9000G), does not like the 2pc AA's at all. I switched over to Rem. STS and they go through my loader perfectly. I'm not big on making adjustments to my loader or components to accommodate different shells. I'm more of a "set it and forget it" type of guy. (KISS principle) To each his own.

4. John55

John55 Active Member

I quit AAs when they started with the new style hulls, way too many adjustments needed to bother loading them. The STS is everything the old compression formed AA was and more, IMO. I'm also on my last batch of the old AAs and once they're gone I will use the green hulls exclusively.

5. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Reload once-fired two-piece AAs (predominantly grays) using Spolar hydraulic, Fiocchi 616s, Clays powder, CB1100-12 wads, 1 oz shot; or Fiocchi 616, Clays, CB0178-12, 7/8 oz shot. Also reload Nitros/STS using MEC 9000E, same as above components without any problem. Chichay

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I reloaded a bunch of the 2pc AA's a while back as one and outs. I used Clays powder and DR XL-1 (green) w/ 1oz of shot. They did just fine, but I did have the back off the crimp pressure a bit. If they are free, as those were, I'll reload as a one and out. I won't pay for them or buy new AA's to shoot. There are too many good Remmy hulls out there to reload trash hulls.

ss

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Of course, any hull crimps best if the press is adjusted correctly; that should go without saying. But I get the best crimps on AA hulls by using a smooth cone crimp starter instead of the 8-point type that is OEM on most loaders. Both P-W and Mec offer a smooth cone (used for paper hulls) for around $5.

By using this crimp starter I can load Remington hulls and Winchester hulls without adjustment to the press and get good crimps on both.

Keller

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you like the green STS hulls you should try the Remington Gun Clubs. HMB

9. Brad Korando

Brad Korando Member

I've been reloading the new AA's on a MEC Grabber for about a year and have loaded between 25k-30k rounds in that time. BigM-Perazzi is is right, getting the crimp adjustments right is the key. I think I just had to lower the crimp starter. It took me about 5 minutes of fiddling around to sort it out.

I loaded the old AA's before switching over to the new ones and I actually prefer the new ones because they seem to last longer. My experience has been that the old AA hulls developed splits at the crimp folds much sooner than the new AA hulls.

Regards,
    Brad

10. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Life is waaaaaaay too short to load the new AA hulls. I won't take them for free. JMHO. ED

11. vmthtr in green bay

vmthtr in green bay Member

How to tell the difference?

12. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

That's where everybody has the same trouble,I used to load a some of the old style AAs, when they changed I did try a few and manage to get them loaded by--lowering the crimp starter--raising the final crimp--zero wad pressure, just to where I could "feel" the wad touch the powder. But given that I shoot a pump & can't see down the bbl. I won't load them anymore, a lot of people still shoot them new but let-em fly,so they're cheap if you like or trust them. I have personally seen them shoot-off. I have always been a Rem. & Fed. person. (except for those Rem. All Americans) and don't have any trouble keeping myself in Rem. STS-- Gun Clubs & a few Fed. papers. Ross Puls

13. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

AA's are all I load, no trouble. Learn how to adjust the press and you won't have any trouble either. Back completely off the taper. Pre-crimp to an 1/8in hole

14. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Spolar-no issues. They're not as bad as some would have you believe. Actually, they really look pretty if you wash them first-then reload 'em!!

15. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

If the once fired STS/Nitro27s cost the same, why bother with the AAs?

16. wlc

wlc Member

Use a wad that allows enough room for the shot and adjust to get a good crimp. they work fine.

17. perga1

perga1 Active Member

I use 12S0 fed replacements with 7/8 ounce of shot and 12s3 for 1ounce and they load, crimp and shoot fine. That said I prefer GM's and Nitros. Jim

18. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Remington hulls: STS and Nitros are best; Gun Clubs are a good second; AAs are a distant last choice. Works for me...others may like and use AAs just fine - not for me. Regards, Ed

19. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

If you reload with a MEC, don't mess with the AA hulls. Not worth it.

20. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

A barrel used up by when??? How many times do you shoot them?

I had chronographed hulls loaded with fast powders and did not see big deviations with increasing firings but that was only one test.

I do use the old ones until they split or don't crimp right.

I understand that the more you load a hull, the lower the total quality

I see big spreads from slower powders as the hull is used

regarding the new AA's I candle them against a light bulb to verify the type (new/old) as well as if the base moved.

I did have one (the whole shell) go forward into the barrel of an 870 and wont use them there anymore; O/Us only and I always blow my bbls between shots to assure they are unobstucted.

They are frequently free to me but I am still not keen on them.

regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

aa hulls spliting at crimp