1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AA Hull Questions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OhioSkeetShooter, Apr 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OhioSkeetShooter

OhioSkeetShooter Member

Okay, I have noticed that many people really dislike the AA hulls? My question is, why? I have loaded about 7000 AA's and think they do fine, never had an issue! I have used a combo of the Reds and Grays. And from what I have been told the AA's outlast STS's in the sub-gauges (GM hulls in the sub-gauges are trash). So what is wrong with the AA hulls?

Thanks,

Wes

2. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Wes, I'm with you.
    I reload both the AA and STS hulls. Don't see much of any difference.
    I use the STS for 1oz and AA's for 1 1/8oz. Color is the only reason.
    I have about 2500 of the old style AA's I use for 7/8oz on that rare occasion.
    I never have seen the base migration that some complain about.

Mike C.

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The first generation of the 2-piece hull had a design miscalculation in that the separate base wad was not secured to the hull tube by anything but friction. Some few became dislodged and migrated up the tube which led many to believe that the wads could become stuck in the barrel and cause a catastrophic gun failure at the next shot. Winchester corrected the design by mechanically securing the wad to the tube but the PR damage had been done and many reloaders refused to use the 2-piece hulls after that.

There never was a documented instance of a gun failure caused by a loose wad but rumors flew. I found 2 migrated wads among the thousands of 2-piece hulls I reloaded but none ever left the hull.

Keller

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

To add to Keller's post above, here are some pictures to help.

The Gray AA on the left is a 1st Generation 2-pc hull. Notice how the hull easily pulls away from the base wad. The middle Red AA is a later Generation 2-pc hull. The base wad is almost bonded to the hull and is much more difficult to seperate the hull from the base wad. The Red AA on the right is an old 1-pc AA hull for comparison purposes. It is compression formed as one single piece with no seperate base wad.
    [​IMG]

5. dale58

dale58 Well-Known Member

Are the new gray handicap hulls the same as the new red ones, just different colors? I think Winchester calls them HS for high strength. thanks, Dale

6. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I got tired of the Claybuster wad snagging the base wad when it was being loaded, caving in the side of the hull. Maybe it was the wrong wad combination or maybe they corrected this. I started giving all of mine away. They went fast. We were both happy.

Bob Falfa

7. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Nothing at all wrong with AA hulls. I have found they last longer then STS and RGC hulls - much longer actually. They do take some extra effort in selecting a proper wad/powder combination to get a proper crimp. The hulls have slightly less interior volume than STS - so the stack-up height is slightly different.

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Dale,

They are the same. HMB

9. dale58

dale58 Well-Known Member

Thanks hmb, I wasn't sure. Dale

10. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"Okay, I have noticed that many people really dislike the AA hulls? My question is, why?"

I would like to know one thing. Just what difference does it make to you as you are the one asking???? Those that load Remington Nitro/STS hull don't start these discussions. What possible difference can it make to you you obviously will continue to load them. So why are you asking the question????

As for myself I don't load AA's because they are two piece hulls. I do not load any hull that are two piece. That way there will never be any chance that the hulls will separate.

Bob Lawless

11. OhioSkeetShooter

OhioSkeetShooter Member

Thank you all for your responses, I really appreciate them!

@ivanhoe: I am asking this question because I am starting to reload shells for the 2013 Jr. World Skeet Shoot for myself. I have both AA's and STS's and just wanted to know what the superior shell is. I have not noticed a difference in shooting them and they appear to last about the same time. So basically I was confused as to why some appear to hate AA's, if there was a serious problem with AA's I would load them as practice shells only. But since there appears to be no major issue with the shell itself I will just have to decide which shells to use. I hope that answers your question

-Wes

12. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

I have been using both AA and Remington for quite some time and have not had problems with either of them. They are all thrown into the same box and all load great without giving problems. I am careful with all hulls though.

Many people at the range use the steel base Remington hulls though because they are available quickly and are one piece hulls.

Remington and AA hulls are not available much anymore at the range. Several years ago I picked up about 7000 of the AA and Remington units so I just continue with them. Over 5000 of my hulls have only been shot once. As hulls wear out I just throw and go.

I do spend time looking in the barrel of guns where I can between loads. The Remington 1100 is harder to look down but I keep my fingers crossed with them.

13. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

slowdp: Do what I do when I shoot Fed. papers, blow into the receiver (after firing)& watch for the puff of smoke. No smoke-----double check. Ross Puls

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.