1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AA HULL HISTORY

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 686, Feb 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 686

686 TS Member

Wheen did win. aa hulls come out? did 12 and 20 come out the same year? were the 20ga. aa ever made in red plastic? when did the 20 ga. hulls change to yellow.

2. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

AAs came out in the early 60s, excellent hulls I used them a little while. I think they (12s & 20s) came out at the same time, yes the 20s were originally red I still have 1\2 a target box of the red ones, don't remember when they went to yellow some time after Federal because Fed. was the 1st. to color code shells. After that every time they changed the formula of the plastic they got worse, to what you see today, junk. A friend had one shoot off yesterday, brass stayed in the chamber complete plastic part went about 8" up the bbl. what we finally got pushed out-with a dowel rod- was still crimped shut, looked like an Active hull, never did find the primer--the primer did go off because there was smoke & fire out of the breach on his S.B.T. Thank GOD for safety glasses, that's the first one that I've personally seen happen but have heard many stories & seen the remains of the hulls. That's all I can remember. Ross Puls

3. 686

686 TS Member

ross , you think the first win AA hulls were red plastic? i have some one sending me some that he said was just that. i have seen red rem and win mark5 , paper and plastic, but no AA . it would be something to set in the reloading room. thanks

4. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

686- yes I still have 1\2 of a target box of them (20ga red AA plastic)some probably still have the all copper factory primers in them. Ross

5. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

Winchester changed the color of there 20ga. shells from red to yellow in 1971. I was in the Navy stationed in Guam and I first started with red and then at the end of 1971, I was shooting all yellow. The change was made for safety reasons as you can imagine. I gave most of mine away, but still have a few.

6. shadow

shadow Active Member

They changed because some idiots confused a 20ga with a 12ga and shoved a 20 in the chamber of a 12 ga shotgun....KABOOM! with the next loading. Probably a skeetie. I'll bet he shat his TuTu when that happened.

7. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Yup, I have a couple of AA CF red 20 ga hulls.

8. Mapper

Mapper Member

As others have said, I have some of the red 20 gage hulls and I think I might have a box or two of loaded skeet shells somewhere. I believe that sort of dates me.

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Well i have a Red 20ga hull in my collection. It's not Winchester AA but it is A Western Xpert which i believe was made by Winchester. It is a ribbed plastic hull. I am unsure on the date of the hull but obviously pre-yellow.--Matt

grntitan_2009_2503192.jpg

grntitan_2009_2503193.jpg

grntitan_2009_2503194.jpg

10. 686

686 TS Member

does any one have a picture of the red AA 20 ga. hull? i have seen red type just not the red hull.

11. len loma

len loma TS Member

I have several hundred once fired red AA hulls I was given with a purchase of a Mec Versa-mec reloader. I know they are old but are you sure they were last manufactured in 1971.

Len

12. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

I'll have to look a little harder. So far have found these. All 20 gauges. Right to left Peters plastic, American Eagle paper, JC Higgins paper and the rest misc Westerns and Winchesters.If any one has a full AA 20 I would like to have one. PM me if you do. Paul

pj999_2008_0303_19.jpg

13. grntitan

Paul--Very cool 20ga collection. Thanks for sharing that with us. I'm jealous. I do have an old 16ga Red Remington Paper still loaded like the 20ga you have on the right in my collection.

Matt

Bottom

grntitan_2009_2503195.jpg

Sorry about blurry pic

grntitan_2009_2503196.jpg

14. aaaskeet

aaaskeet Member

Does anyone still have any of the "old" 12ga. AA's that were black. I remember my grandfather complaining when he had worn out the last of his black ones. He always said they were the best hull he had ever used.

15. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

Picture not the best. Black AA and AA international.
    pj999_2008_0303_111.jpg

16. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I still have about a half dozen black handicap shells left from a box I bought in Independence Iowa during a league shoot in the early summer of 1973. Obviously they have spent a good deal of time sitting loaded up in a box somewhere in my "stash".

17. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

This was a really nice thread!! Thanks to all fo sharing and some of these really bring back memories!!
    Thanks Again!

18. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

"Hopefully" here's a shot of a MTM "Bullet Board" I have of 42 different versions of Winchester and/or Western shotgun shells. I have another one with the newere 2-piece styles as well as variations of 20 gauge shells, with a RED 20 gauge like people were talking about earlier. Even a Gold AA (from Australia) and a couple of other unique shells. Hope y'all enjoy the pics.

Mike Hessong* (MH*)
    Victoria (Texas) Skeet and Trap Club
    mikehessongmh_2008_030315.jpg

19. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

20. grntitan

Very nice collection Mike. Very Nice. I have some of the same AA'a in my collection except mine are once fired. Would love to have them still factory loaded. To say i'm jealous is an understatement.

Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
history of winchester aa 20 ga shells
plastic shotgun shell history
red 20 gauge hull

when did winchester aa hulls change

when did winchester introduce 20 gauge aa with red lettering
winchester 20 gauge aa yellow hulls
winchester aa hulls date of change
winchester western aa hull history