1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AA hs hulls and Fiocchi primer misfires

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by theclaysmoker, Feb 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theclaysmoker

theclaysmoker TS Member

I have a Browning XT combo and have problems with the lower barrel and the unsingle with misfires. I reload AA HS hulls with fiocchi primers bottom barrel misfired tonight 9 times out of 50. Just loaded the shells today and raised the primer seat depth up a little. Still have misfires. Put a new firing pin and spring in last week and the ones that go off have great dents in them. Shot the misfire ones in the top barrel and they all go boom. Bought 4 boxes of new estates and they all went off in the single barrel making me think its the new aa hs hulls with the fiocchi primers.Friends of mine tried to shoot my misfires and they all went off in their guns. Its driving me nuts any ideas?
    Bob

2. FLIP

FLIP Member

buy a new pin from browning with spring it will fix it

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Do some of the AA hulls have dished in heads or are they all square?

4. argus tuft

argus tuft Member

Well known Browning/Miroku Citori problem, short Firing Pin and weak Hammer Springs, get the longer Browning firing pin (someone will chime in with the part No.) and hammer springs from J and P Gun Springs, Problen solved

Argus Tuft

5. FLIP

FLIP Member

,,#B1334157 pin lower$6.25 ,,,,,#B1334293 spring$3.00 new pins are longer from browning now. make sure pin hole is cleaned out,it has worked for mine made in the year 2004

6. mojet

mojet TS Member

Theclaysmoker,

I had the same problem in my over/under with the bottom barrel. To fixed the problem I changed to AA primers. Yes I made a mistake and loaded up 15 flats of them. Asked my friends about misfires. It is common on the bottom barrel because the firing pin stries @ a angle.

Good Luck.

Larry Moses

7. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

I cannot speak to any equipment problems you may be having with your gun, however...........I have shot literally tens of thousands of Fiocchi primers, with nary a malfunction. I would try some of the solutions previously described, to correct your firing pin / spring combination.

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

The AAHS new style hulls have a taper in the primer pocket designed for Win. 209 primers. Is it possible that part of the problem may be due to the shape of the Fiocchi primer being forced into the pocket? If Win. primers did the same thing then it's a pin/spring issue I'd think. Hap

9. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Several of us discovered a while back that AA hulls and Fiocchi primers are a formula for having a bad day, especially in the bottom barrel of a Browning (any Browning).

I finally stopped using Fiocchi primers and no longer reload AA hulls. Thw Winchester primers cost quite a bit more, but they do go bang.

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

It's a common Citori problem. To make sure, put a straight edge across the primer and check that it's not seated too deeply. (Hard to do on a Mec).

One thing that isn't mentioned much on these threads is the cratering of the firing pin that happens.

The end of the pin should be a perfect hemisphere with no defects. Mine tend to develop star shaped craters and then need replacement. 2 so far in 14 years.

Use the above listed parts and the problem should abate.

HM

11. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

Hey - what kind of a loader are you using to force the oversized primers into the Winchester primer sized holes -- unless you are using a MEC you are probably indenting the shell head by forcing the primer into the wrong sized hole. the beav

12. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hi!
    Also, if using a mec loader, on the primer station, check where the primer sits in the hole-(down in the recess). Pop that part out of the loader, take apart the primer seating parts. Make sure that the part that is next to the battery cup of the primer is machined flat. I think sometimes the force that is needed to push these over-size primers in also pushes in the battery cup of the primer itself. Like stated in a previous thread, use a straight edge to check the base of the shell when it's loaded and make sure there is no daylight from edge to edge.

13. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Do the primers go off if you rotate the shell 180 degrees and try to fire it again? Sometimes the primer will not be seated all the way and when fired, it absorbs the impact of the firing pin as the firing pin is help seating the primer; then if rotated the shell goes off. I've had that happen when loading on a MEC; some shells will vary on the inside and your primer may not be fully seated. If this is the case move the primer (powder drop tube - if a MEC) down about 1/16th of an inch. If this is the right setting, make you a gauge to check the length as the tube will creep up. Check it before you reload. Hope this helps. Darrell

14. nords

nords Member

I find it interesting that everyone always blames the components of the shells. I've loaded 20,000+ shells over the past 2-3 years and had one primer not fire that was a Win. used Wins, Noble & Fio. Friend had problem with Nobles last year shooting in his Kolar so their no good right, firing pin was worn they work fine after new pin. I've mic'd Fio. and their very very close to the same size as Wins, but they're not tapered like a Win or Rem.

15. Customstox

Customstox Member

I cured my bottom barrel problems on an XS skeet. I also load Fiocchi primers and had the most problem in 20 ga . It went from being occasional to non functioning bottom barrel (and at a match). I replaced the lower hammer spring (about $6 or so) and the problem almost went away. I read a discussion on Shotgunworld about the problem in Browning bottom barrels. One guy did quite a bit of research and found the protrusion spec for the guns and also determined that the bottom barrel did not meet the spec. BTW, there is no "new longer" firing pin. I checked that out with Browning, they are selling the same one they always have and I have ordered 6 of them. The answer is to find someone to tig weld a small bit of material on the back of the firing pin and dress it back to the same dimensions and angle on the back edge. It allows the hammer to drive the pin further. The slot and pin do not stop the forward movement of the pin. You could lengthen the front but it would be a lot more trouble than the back. I went that route with mine and it has performed perfectly since. I no longer have it but I know the owner well.

16. FLIP

FLIP Member

Customstox
    browning does make a longer pin I have them in my gun and a spare.about 30 thou.longer at rear so please don't tell people the don't make them,in 2007 they changed the pin.I load Fiocchi primers abuot 40,000 primer is fine just a browning thing its now taken care of THANK YOU BROWNING.

17. Customstox

Customstox Member

flip, When I spoke to Browning in 2008 they said they only had one bottom pin and it was the same as the original one. Seeing that you have them in hand, I was most certainly misled and I apologize to you. It is not a unusual thing to run into someone at Browning who does not know his butt from a hole in the ground. A good friend is still has his XS skeet and I will order one of those pins for him.

18. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

Customstox, January 2009 is when the Browning engineeer told my Browning dealer that the firing pin length had changed. I have two new ones, they are .018 longer than my old ones, have a sharper radius at the tip. When you get the new firing pins let us know if it works, so we can continue to pass the word on. It can be very frustrating going up to line and have 5 to 10 FTF, and think of how many primers I have. 10tenner

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

problems with fiochhi primers in aa casings