1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AA heavy target for field loads?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Questor, Dec 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Questor

Questor TS Member

For the close shooting I do I don't need the buffered loads, but like something that patterns a bit tighter than the promotional game loads. So I picked up some 1 1/8 ounce AA heavy target loads. Seems like I lose a bit of velocity and 1/8 ounce of shot over standard game loads (for 12 gauge). I also wanted 7 1/2 shot and the other game loads they had were 6 at the smallest.

Can you think of any reason not to use target loads on game?

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Premium target loads would be great for small birds like ruffed grouse or partridge but you need bigger shot for pheasant, my favorite is #5 copper coated.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I have a friend who shot dog trials for many years. he was one of the better trial shooters around. to the point of being invited to shoot the Canadian Nationals. He swore by the AA Super Handicap load for shooting over dogs.

His practice shells were 3/4 ounce loads, and he broke skeet targets from 30 yards and more easily with them.

HM

4. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

In the late 50's I was invited to gun at a Springer Spaniel field trial in Kansas. This was a major event and the folks running the show wanted the gunners to have the appropriate equipment. We were given Winchester 21 SxS's and Super X shells in 1-1/4 oz of 7-1/2. These shells performed very well on pheasants for field trial use.

5. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

AA Heavy target would be fine for small upland birds up to average size pheasant in 7-1/2 shot.

The high quality target loads from any of the major manufacturers use, hard, round shot that patterns well, penetrates well and knocks birds out of the sky.

I have hunted pheasant with my 1100 trap gun with trap reloads equivalent to 3-dr eq 7-1/2 hard shot and 6 out of the last 7 birds I shot took one shot, and the birds folded up and dropped out of the sky as if flying head on into the radiator grill of an invisible Mack truck.

I would not hesistate to us heavy AAs; Remington Premier STS or Nitro 27 in shot size 7-1/2 for upland birds including pheasant

6. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

Thirty something years ago we were shooting pheasants for some field trials. Someone bought 3 dram AA 7 1/2 trap loads instead of the Super-X #6 load we usually used. It was a disaster. We filled the air with feathers and all the birds but one old hen hit the ground out there somewhere. I can still see that hen pumping her way over a tree line about 200 yards away. The dog trainers were not happy. Never did that again. Ron

7. missed some

missed some TS Member

problem I have using trap loads on quail is there isn't much left to clean, to tight of pattern plus good patterning load equals puff balls.

8. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

On the wild birds that we have late in the season in Eastern Oregon, I use Handloaded 1 3/8 oz. copper #5. I have dropped roosters at a paced 70 yds, deader than a door nail. FD

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Birds that winter over or naturally wild are a whole different story. I would use a 3 inch load of coper plated 5's on those guys. especially the ones going away which is most of them.

Field trials use left over pen raised hens and pigeons from wherever they can get them.

HM

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Knocked down my first rooster pheasant with trap 7-1/2s. The dog had to run him down for me so I switched to 6s then to copper 5s.

We were hunting quail with our trap loads and I shot the biggest, longest tailed rooster I ever harvested with those 7-1/2s. I'll use the copper 5s for wild cornfield roosters every time, I hate losing a bird. Hap

11. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Well I hunt over dogs with a 28 ga Beretta. I use quail loads as it is mentioned that trap loads tear em up too dam much. If a pheasant gets up, guess what, he is dead too. If you are without dogs in late season, then get you a 12 ga with #4 Magnums.

BTW, if you are without dogs, I just happen to have some wonderful setter pups for sale for your next season. ;)

12. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

Like I said, I used 3-dram 7-1/2 trap loads on preserve and state land stocked pheasants shot in Oct to November periods and never had a problem

All birds one shot kills. Average range about 25-35 yards. Rem 1100 trap gun with 30" fixed full trap choke.

Hard shot, tight patters, actually deliberately overlead a couple of crossing birds to put the pattern on the head and neck and it was like smacking them with a broadsword. Birds that flew inbound, actually summersaulted and rolled BACKWARDS in flight after one hit - hit the ground with a loud "thump" and didn't even twitch or flutter they were so solidly put down.

If you can't kill them with target grade 7-1/2 shot within RANGE, then the problem lies with the SHOOTER NOT the Shells. I've shot enough pheasants this way since 1980 to know. Some people use 20 ga, 28 and even .410 and do just fine!

13. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I hunt Pheasant and Quail behind Setters and Pointers. I use 1 Oz. number 8 Target loads very effectively. My guns are chokes ImpCyl and Mod. I can kill Quail at more than 50 yards. Pheasant shots are usually closer since they are relatively slow when taking off from the ground.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

field trial quail loads

target loads for pheasant