1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

AA grey hulls hole in center of crimp

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by August1940, Jul 17, 2013.

1. August1940

August1940 Member

I need some ideas.

I am loading AA/HS grey once or more fire hull on my RCBS Grand, purchased in 2003, and have loaded maybe 3 to 4 thousand rounds. Just got back into trap shooting, so loading much more now than in the past.

I can get perfect/near perfect crimps on any kind of hull I can find, even crap ones like estate, rio, etc. but the grey AA/HS 12 gauge hulls will leave center bb's showing on almost every load. Some will be ok, but 90 percent will leave a hole showing anywhere from 1 to 3 bb's.

I have talked many times to RCBS tech help. I have tried every kind of wad, powder, shot size, 7'8 to 1-1/8 loads. I have tried every kind of wad I can find to buy around here, AA's clay buster, windjammer, and a couple I can't remember right now.

The machine is spotless, clean, lubricated, all worn parts replaced (there weren't many). I have made every kind of adjustment on anything that can be adjusted, such as pre- crimp, final crimp, wad depth, amount of powder, type of powder, every idea the tech help had, and just cannot get the grey hulls to give me a crimp without a hole.

I put a drop of white Elmer's glue into the hole, but that is a pain.

The machine will put a near perfect crimp on every hull I try, and usually without even adjusting anything, but the grey I cannot figure out.

There must be something I am overlooking, would truly appreciate any experience or advice any one here might be able to share .

Maybe I will just have to give up on the AA/HS hulls, but I just got a couple of thousand of them, and kind of hate to waste them.

Thanks in advance for any tips you might have.

Jack Waechter, Cheyenne Wy.
  2. hmb

hmb Active Member

Lower the crimp starter and the hole will go away. HMB
  3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Active Member

Yes it will....
  4. Duck

Duck Member

crimpstarter x 3
  5. vdt

vdt Active Member

move the cam down just a tad ,if it is a mec
  6. PULL PULL

PULL PULL Member

What hmb said.
  7. mike680

mike680 Member

I lowered my crimp and also use a 1 1/4 oz wad for 1 1/8 oz loads.smacks targets and no hole!
  8. pigkiller

pigkiller TS Member

How do you lower the crimp starter on a Spolar? I have the same problem with AA hulls, though not in all of them. There's one BB showing.
  9. 1960870tb

1960870tb TS Member

I have had the same problem. Lowering the crimp starter does help a lot. I have noticed that with the new AA's there is a difference in the length of the hull from one hull to another. You will have to play with the crimp starter to get it to close all new AA hulls all the way.

Danny
  10. PULL PULL

PULL PULL Member

On a spolar just loosen the pre-crimp. Move it down. Then re tighten it. Mt AA look like new shells when loaded on my spolar.
  11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

hmb has it right. the crimp "starter" is the key. Winchester said so too.
  12. Borderland

Borderland Member

Use the yellow claybuster F114 wad with the 1-1/8 shot bar and the AAHS hull will crimp better.
  13. RobertT

RobertT Active Member

That shot visible in the crimp is the guide bb. Kind of like a pack leader, just let it do it's job.
  14. Avaldes

Avaldes Active Member

The fact is that AA's are a bit shorter than other shells. Once you know that, then you simply have to drop your crimp starter and final crimp by the same amount (1/16 to 1/8"). The result will be the same crimp depth you had before, but with a shorter overall length...closing the hole at the center.

Pigkiller, just back off the locknut at the top and move the pre-crimp and crimp by threading them down. Lock in place with the locknut. I used a silver paint pen to make a reference mark so I can get back to STS settings very easily. Good luck!
  15. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

Same issue with my PW, no issues though loading Rem hulls. But folow above advice and problem solved. once my rem hulls are retired, down mine goes.
  16. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Member

With my Mec Grabber if I adjusted the hole out of the crimp with the cam the side of the shell would buckle. No problems reloading Remington hulls without a hole in the crimp.

For Win AA HS hulls I started using 1-1/4 oz wads for 1-1/8 oz loads, 1-1/8 oz wads for 1 oz loads and 1 oz wads for 7/8 oz loads. No more hole in the crimps and the sides of the Win AA HS hull does not buckle.
  17. August1940

August1940 Member

Thanks, appreciate the advice, will try the bigger wads.

Jack
  18. Avaldes

Avaldes Active Member

I don't exactly understand how a different height wad will change the overall length of the shell? If you compare a AA to an STS or a Federal, you will see that the shell is shorter.
  19. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Lower your crimp starter and final crimp station a bit and then buy some Downrange DRA-12 wads. These wads are shorter than a standard AA wad and will allow room for the loader to finish the crimp. If you lower your final crimp station too low, you will crush the hull.

Takes some tweaking, but it works.