1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AA gray shells/MEC de priming?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by billn, Feb 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. billn

billn Member

I tried to load about two boxes of gray AA shells in my MEC 9000G. The MEC would not de prime the shell, it stopped about 1/2 down, a few Gold Nitro Remington did the same thing. I tried to adjust the de primer rod but it doesn't have any adjustments other than locking it tight.

Does the gray shells have a higher base in them? I have no trouble with any of the other shells I tried to load. I used a MEC Size Master to de prime the shells and then put the shells in the primer station and went on with out no problems.

2. PW

PW Member

I have had same thing happen the hull is not dropping down all the way in the resizing collet release up an inch or to and push hull down and it should work fine. Perry

3. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I know if the hull does not drop all the way down, it will appear that the hull is not wanting to deprime. Make sure there isn't a pice of shot in the collett.

4. rsikole

rsikole Member

There can also be a shot pellet in the grease on the outside (hidden) of one of the collet fingers.

5. kfbagt

kfbagt Member

I agree with these guys.... A good cleaning of the collet will most likely solve your problem.

6. RoadKingPerazzi

RoadKingPerazzi Member

I load lots of gray AAs on a 9000 H. It is not the shell. The post that the shell sits on (first station) may be a bit high and therefore does not let the shell lower all the way for the resize. Adjust it down a bit.

You have to loosen the nut on the bottom of the rod that is in the middle of the front, then turn the rod. It will move the fork down that sits under the resize station. When you turn this rod it will also turn your wad guide so you will have to recenter the wad guide. Actually real easy, but a bit confusing.

See page 25 of the manual. http://www.mecreloaders.com/documents/ownermanuals/9000.pdf

7. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only person having this problem. I've been reloading Gold Remington's, Red AA's and the Gray AA's. ONLY the gray AA's will not drop down far enough in the collet, and when using an Automate, will crush the shell.

I'll try dropping the rod idea and see if that works.

Thanks

8. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Same basic principle, either lower your plunger or clean out your collet. I have reloaded literally 1000s over the past few week of silver and red AA's with no issues depriming the hull.

Bryan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

adjusting mec sizemaster deprimer