1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AA gray base wad

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GRR, Apr 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GRR

GRR TS Member

I know this subject has been on her several times before, but I just have to share this information again. My neighbor just brought me a second loaded Win. AA gray case with the base wad that has moved up the case approximately 3/8 to 1/2 inch. He loads with a MEC loader and I load with a P/W. I have that problem when loading AA and I thought it was because my loader pushed the primer into the case and pushed the wad up. This wad moved up while being fired.

I have stopped loading AA's for several years and would suggest anybody using them to check their barrel after firing.

I do not have the equipment to take pictures, but would send this hull to somebody that can cut this hull in half and post pictures on this sight for everybody to see.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Did you remove the base wad from the hull? HMB

3. FLIP

FLIP Member

was it a AA with the square box around the letters?

4. BigDave1200

BigDave1200 Member

Did it have HS on the head stamp?

5. GRR

GRR TS Member

QUESTIONS:

#1 HMB I did not remove base wad from hull.

#2 FLIP It has a square box around AA.

#3 BIGDAVE1200 No HS stamped on brass.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You say this wad moved up while being fired. How does that happen with all the pressure pushing it back into the hull. HMB

7. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I've heard of this with the first of the AAHS hulls. Boxed AA and no HS marking on the hull. However, I've never seen it or experenced it.

8. GRR

GRR TS Member

As stated above, I will send this hull whoever will post pictures on this site.
    Send me your address and I'l mail it to you.

9. FLIP

FLIP Member

all the one i have seen with base wad moving up have had the box, those are the older hulls just be careful i like to load the AA hull

10. BigDave1200

BigDave1200 Member

GRR, Winchester realized they had a problem with separation and changed the design and then started marking them HS. If they are not marked HS, watch you barrel.

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.