1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AA factory loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by philk, Aug 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. philk

philk Member

I assume you meant 1.7 ????

2. glenns

glenns Member

Is the 669-686 grains the weight of the powder for 25 shotshells?

How many grains per shell did the recipe call for?

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Get a shell cutter from UNLOADER and open a few up and let us know,.

[​IMG]

The fact that you are a new reloader gives many of us pause to advise on somethng sight unseen.

Jack

4. JimmyP

JimmyP TS Member

You guys don't read very well sometimes. He stated NEW SHELLS from the get go. Oz I have seen the same thing and being as anal as I am about things I cut some open. Most of the ones I found, Both Win and Rem, the difference was in the lead shot weight. I measured the powder as close as I could get and found a .1 grain difference. There is some difference in the hull weight, but the biggest weight variance was in the shot load.

Jimmy

5. JACK

Oz. open a few and let us know what is in dem der loads

6. JACK

jimmyP. Remember the guys that were checking out the shot sizes in Top Guns and Estates? That took the confidence out of the bullets I was using.

7. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

It takes about 13 or 14 5%Sb #7½ shot to make 17gn.

There are 338(±) #7½ shot per ounce, or around 380 in 1-1/8oz, so you have an Extreme Spread of about 3.5%.

It will be interesting to see what your pellet counts are, but +/- 7 shot on either side of 380 is about as close as you can reload on the very best machines.

Bob

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Hulls will vary in weight. Primers will vary a little but as Bob pointed out, the greatest variation is in the weight of the shot. We pay close attention to the weight of the powder, but typically ignore everything else when we reload. If we chronograph 10 shells of our best reloads or factory shells, we will see a difference in shot velocity among the shells. This difference has to come from something.

Pat Ireland

9. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

OZBUD, put your mind at ease. Just load your own and forget about the factory crap. Heavy recoil and God only knows how much (or lack of)quality control is being utilized. When you do it yourself, you know what you are getting. Start slowly, take your time, and think Clays. Soft recoil and extremely clean.Oh, one more thing.A one oz load is more than enough back to 24yds or so.Some may dispute how far back, but definately more than enough for 16yd. Just think: every 8 shells, you gain one over an 1 1/8oz load.

10. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

As I have said for years, shotgun shells are almost impossible to duplicate and even if you did the pattern will never duplicate. Patterning only matters for POI, shells only matter if you don't put the center of the shot in the center of the bird.

I remember being at a shoot and someone asking Leo what kind of shells he wanted, his reply, whatever they have got. Can't argue with a man who can shoot like that.

11. batman1004

batman1004 TS Member

leo is a great shooter but I think when he switched to fed. this yr. it put him over the top to best who ever lived. g3 federals # 1

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I don't think I would worry about the difference of weight in factory shells. My reloads seem to vary around 10+ grains or so, the last time I bothered to weigh any. 18 grains of variation would not be a concern, unless I had 99 of them all within 2 grains of each other and then one that was 18 grains lighter than the rest. I might take that one apart. I don't weigh my finished shells as a rule, since I rarely have an issue with a reloaded shell. Last time was just curiosity and that cat is dead. :)

13. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I weighed several dozen flats of my reloaded shells individually trying to find a "double charge" of powder. I cut open several heavy and light shells and really found nothing out of the ordinary. I think it is really a waste of time to discern anything from this as I spent lots of hours on lots of shells and found nothing. I shot all the shells and there fortunately were no more double charged other than the two I experienced. There are a lot of variations in hulls sometimes too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.