1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AA & Down Range WAA12F114 Wad problems

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Apr 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I've played around and played around the Winchester AA hull using the Downrange
    WAA12F114 wad clone, and cannot get it to load properly with listed load.

Listed load is WInchester AA HS Hull 28.7 Longshot powder, 1 1/4 oz shot and I cannot get 1 1/4 oz shot to load w/o puking, will not crimp.

Reducing shot charge to 520-530 grains they buckle the wad w/ semi-good crimp
    but some still puke.

Here are some pics of different loads, the SP-12 wad works the best in the AA
    case,
    drlongshot_2008_030350.jpg

drlongshot_2008_030351.jpg

2. BL350

BL350 TS Member

Dear Longshot,
    That load is exactly what I use (28.5 grains...Longshot) and holds the crimp fine in once fired AA HS cases or the old style AA case. Crimp depth is .040 to .050 inches deep. Sure makes a lot of noise!! (Used for games only)
    Sincerely,
    ....Jet Boat Bill

3. Dr.Longshot

That load crunches the hull, and it pukes, how much wad pressure are you usung on the Grey HS hull?

The wad works better for me in the STS Gun & Club Hull.

The same load using a Windjammer wad loads better, but with 530 grains of #6s
    I get a lot better crimp, with good roll over and deeper. I lose all that in the AA Hull.

The Remington SP-12 wad I get a full 1 1/4 oz #6s w/ 30.0 Grs of Longshot
    8,300 psi @ 1330 Fps. w/ 33.0 grs LS 10,400psi @ 1440 Fps

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

See if it fits in a Federal Gold Medal hull. HMB

5. Kemper

Kemper Active Member

Now you know why new shells should be shot at the grand.

6. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Gary, I think you should dump the Longshot and become Dr. 4756. Its easier on your shoulder.

Nevertheless, for back up loads I use an Activ hull, 32 to 33 grains of 4756 and either a Remington SP-12 or RP-12 depending on the size and amount of shot I put in to get better crimps. In my opinion the F114 wad does not have enough depth in the shot cup for 1 and 1/4 loads. It can make a wicked fast 1 and 1/8 load using the same recipe I listed.

John E.

Disclaimer: My recipes are not proof tested nor should they be used by anyone. I repeat do not try this at home. :)

7. Dr.Longshot

I have a very good 1 1/8th Oz #6s Load using 33.5 Grs LS, but the SP-12 wad works good in the AA HS Hull.

The DRWAA12F114 Works in the Federal Hull Great w/1 1/4 oz #6s.

My pet buddy line back up load is a Federal Gold Medal Hull or RIO Hull
    w/26 Grs 800-X w/ windjammer wad 1 1/4 oz #6s approx 1300 fps.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

8. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Gary,

I had problems as well using the downrange wads with AA hulls. I did some research and found out that the downrange wad is .010 larger on the diameter than the Winchester wad is after I measured a few of them.

This makes a big difference, as the Winchester wad is designed to slide inside the "cup" at the bottom of the new style hulls. The downrange wads will catch on the lip of the "cup" at the bottom of the hull and will also start to creep up the hull ever so slightly because of the amount of "air tightness" difference between the two diameters.

Once I stopped using the downrange wads in the AA hulls and switched to Winchester wads, the problem has gone away.

Kevin

9. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

My favorite--33.0 Gr Longshot--Gun Club Case--Lage Uniwad--1 1/4 oz of hard 6's or 7 1/2's crimp depth about .o35..By the book. 1450 FPS They sound like a small cannon and will reach to the county line!

Big Jack

10. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

Dr. Longshot…. I use the Down Range WAA12F 114 Yellow wad quite extensively. The load I use is (I do not recommend this to anyone – but it works for me) : the DR yellow wad – AA hulls, WW 209 primer, MEC #32 bushing with Green Dot powder (mine throws appx…18.5 grains of Green Dot) and a real 1 1/8 ounce of # 7 ½ magnum shot. I opened the MEC charge bar to throw very close to an exact 1 1/8 of magnum shot. This is a very mild recoiling load I use for handicap. The DR yellow wad works better in the AA hull than in the STS hull --- I have actually found that the WW yellow wad works better in the STS hull than in the AA hull...odd....so when I switch this load to an STS hull I use my last remaining Winchester yellow wads (still have a few left). Either of these loads give good crimps with either hull and I have been very satisfied with the DR yellow wads. I have never actually tried them with 1 ¼ ounce loads.

11. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Gary,

I never had any luck with the SP-12 wad, but I had excellent luck and outstanding patterning with the RP-12. It's a little shorter and would probably help your crimps a lot, with 1 1/4 loads. It was almost always my favorite wad for pot shoots. Even used it a lot in Federal paper hulls.

A few years ago Winchester changed the 114 yellow wad to where it no longer has the same specs as the older 114 wad. I know because I bought TWO CASES of them, they are actually the same specs as the white AA wad now. I used them up with regular 1 1/8 loads.

Tom Strunk

12. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

Gary why not just use the rem SP wad???
    Don

13. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

+1 what hmb says. Use a Federal GM hull and bump your powder up to 34 grains, and you will have about 1440 fps. at 9200 psi.

Always check Hodgdon's reloading data to confirm.

Wayne

14. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Try 0 wad pressure

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
f114 wads
photo 12 win waa12f114 wads

waa12f114

waa12f114 vs waa12

waa12f114 wads