1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AA and base wad

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

This topic has been pretty well beat to death, but there still seems to be a little confusion.

A quick trip to the bandsaw gave the results you see here. The base wad just fell out. Not fused or glued in any way.

Bruce
    [​IMG]

2. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

capvan

"A quick trip to the bandsaw gave the results you see here. The base wad just fell out. Not fused or glued in any way."

Come on Bruce you must be mistaken The experts like hmb and Ahab couldn't possibly be incorrect. They say those base wads don't come out at all.

How dare you prove them incorrect.

Bob Lawless

3. capvan

capvan Active Member

Which is why I posted this. I've only loaded AA's for over 20 years. Never had a problem. I use a MEC 9000 these days and have only used MEC loaders. But the base wad is a "friction fit" as this picture shows. I cut open 10 hulls and the result was always the same.

Bruce

4. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

So you negate the friction fit and out they come. What does this prove? Send me all your AAs and I'll load them and be happy. Have been loading then since 2005 and not one has had a problem. Jake

5. capvan

capvan Active Member

I'm not out to "prove" anything. Just add some information. Under the right circumstances, powder could migrate under the basewad (if it moved) and cause a problem.

Just trying to provide some education, that's all.

Bruce

6. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

I'm I correct in the assumption that this is not the HS hull.

lee

7. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

Believe it or not, I had a base wad come loose in a AA red hull on the 4th reloaded. While loading, I noticed the shot filled the hull completely. After emptying the shot, wad, and powder, I discovered a basewad that had migrated about 3/16". AA HS - not for me.

Chris

8. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

CAPVAN I agree with you and more so on a loader that does not have down pressure when installing the primer. I have seen hulls the base wad has moved up in.

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Never, never had a major or minor problem with AA's, any type, ever (100,000's). So what's the big deal?

10. birddogs46

birddogs46 Active Member

not worth the chance, i shoot aa's in my bt99 or 3200, and always look down the bbl, b4 loading the live shell, will not shoot aa's in any magazine gun, except the old style aa's, thanks for the post, showing aa's that were dissected on the band saw....dk

11. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Well all of that is very interesting you all have your opinion are entitled to do as you wish. After all it is a free country with freedom of choice. I certainly wouldn't want to try to change that.

However I would ask you to think about this you are talking about a base wad that is inside a hull. A base wad that is not attached to that hull in any way. Now you load this hull and fire it and it gets a jolt of between 10,000 and 11,000 PSI every time you pull the trigger.

If you are satisfied to trust the odds that a certain percentage of those hulls will not have a problem. A problem with base wad migration then you be my guest it is after all a free country as stated previously.

j2jake

"So you negate the friction fit and out they come. What does this prove? Send me all your AAs and I'll load them and be happy. Have been loading then since 2005 and not one has had a problem"

Well Jake I have been reloading considerably longer than that 1970 for me. I will tell you what this proves when it comes to the unexpected, expect it. Just because it hasn't happened yet to you doesn't mean it won't. Cocky only gets you Boom when you rely on the unknown.

I load hulls that are one piece only then what I can't see with my own eyes won't cause me problems.

Bob Lawless

12. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Ontario Chris,

My lone incident came on its fourth reload. The only difference is it made it all the way to the crimp. My 366 uses seating pressure for the primer in the same manor as a MEC.

ss

13. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

I load a lot of Top Guns & Estates, but only load them once. Anyone ever have any experience with THOSE base wads coming loose or shifting forward? .....Rick

14. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I have no stake in this what so ever, I don't load HS AA anymore. But with the older HS hulls I have, the base wad is wedged in place by the primer pocket. I had to saw through the primer pocket to get it to move. Wayne

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I don't believe any one of the complainers would have survived the 60's and it's many reloading pitfalls!!

16. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

It's amazing that some of the posters still don't realize that AA hulls are not the same as they once were, like the guy who loves and trusts AA hulls because he has loaded hundreds of thousands of them.

17. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

With the components that I use I load 1 oz in the HS hull using the claybuster 12SL wad only!! On my PW this wad has a more forgiving texture that allows for the powder cup on the wad to seat down below the top of the base wad.If I try to use downrange wads the wad catches on the top of the base wad and then it compresses and springs back up at the next station!It won't seat all the way. It does this 50% of the time. Also this hull has a tendency to buckle and distort.

The OLD style hulls are great but in limited supply. I will load up the 2,000 AAHS hulls I have and leave them on the ground after they are shot.Some people don't have an issue with them and some do.Like I stated above they won't work when you use a certain loader with certain components.You have to have the right recipie.PJ

18. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

I also load 1 oz loads in the HS hulls on a P&W, but use both Claybuster pink CB1100-12 (WAA12SL replacement) and the CB4100-12B Lightning (Windjammer replacement) wads.

What I've noticed is that the pink CB's seem to work fine, but the Lightnings tend to catch on the base wad edge on rare occasions (maybe 1 in 100).

As near as I can tell the pink wads have a beveled base, to prevent the hangups.

Kiv

19. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I have never seen a AA with a different color base wad as pictured in the first post.
    All the ones I have come upon are like the one Wayneo posted. HMB

20. capvan

capvan Active Member

Well, Poacherjoe, I use ONLY Downrange wads and have never had the problem you are having. I also see a little taper on the Downrange wads. Different strokes for different strokes.

I truly feel the Mec loaders have an edge in preventing base wad migration. Pressing the hull into the primer rather than the other way around just seems best.

Someday, when the temp here crawls above the current 1 degree, I'm going to load a shell with dummy powder, shot, and fill it with fiberglass resin as I go. Let it cure and then saw it apart. Might be interesting to see just where everything ends up.

Bruce

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

base wad