1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AA 7/8 oz. recipe.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mwm86, Mar 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mwm86

mwm86 Member

I have been trying to create a nice 7/8 load for my son, wife and myself to practice with. My first go round I used 16.5 G of clays DR XXL pink wad, cheddite primer AA HS hulls getting around 1250 fps. I have recently dropped my powder to 16 g. Of clays, my question is, how low can I get with my powder charge before I run into trouble, I'd like to keep it as light as possible with the components I have listed above, thanks, Bret.

2. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

plot the change of velo as you decrease the charge

at some point, there is a big drop in velocity for the same decrement of powder

In red dot and 7/8 it it 16 to 16.5 grs

clays is fast so it will be close to that value. Slow shells are harder to score with in my opinion, esp if you arent so willing to change timing

regards

3. mwm86

mwm86 Member

Strate174, from what I've read and heard, red dot and clays are "FAIRLY" similar, so I should be ok and have room to work with, don't ya think, my biggest fear was incomplete burn, but hopefully I'm still well above that point, my biggest problem has been domed crimps, but getting better with the slightly lower powder charges, thanks again, and don't be afraid to add more advice to this, it is greatly appreciated.

4. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

With those components it sounds like the domed crimps are due either to not enough wad pressure (most likely) or hulls that are getting weak in the crimp area. I shoot 16gr. Clays-- TGT--7\8oz. in STS hulls & get a slightly dished crimp. Ross Puls

5. Terry_Maiden

Terry_Maiden TS Member

I have found 16 grains of Promo, WW209 primer, DRXXL Pink or the CB0178-12 (WAA12L clone) along with 7/8 ounce of shot work great in Gun Club, STS or AA-HS hulls. 17 grains of Promo, FIO 616 primer, DRXXL Orange or the CB6100-12 wad, 7/8 ounce of shot is good in a Fiocchi hull. Push it up to 18 grains of Promo in a Fiocchi and it will even work my 1100s and 11-87.

Terry M.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.