1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AA 28ga info?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ddsflyer, Jun 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ddsflyer

ddsflyer TS Member

What is the technical reason that a WAA28 wad cannot be used in a AAHS hull? They can be used in 12ga and 20ga hulls but not in 28ga or .410 bore. Why?

2. Jeff K

Jeff K Member

In the 28 HS hull the AA wad will be under-sized and you will get some wad blow by . Claybuster with the A code works well Duster wad also works well

Jeff

3. mag410

mag410 Active Member

The 12 and 20 gauge AA HS hulls have a tapered insert to replicate the interior of the old compression formed AA's. The 28 & .410 AA HS hulls do not have the tapered insert. The 28 & .410 AA HS hulls have straight walls like a Federal, so the HS wads have a larger diameter at the base.

Michael Goines

4. ddsflyer

ddsflyer TS Member

I have alot (5000) of the Claybuster WAA28 clones and a continuous supply of free AA 28HS hulls. I normally load my regular AAs with Win 209 primers and 17 grains of HS-6. I was worried about overpressure but it seems that the opposite is true if there is blowby. I would think that all the wads would all be the correct bore diameter of the specific gauge. Has anyone actually put a micrometer on these wads to determine the difference? My .410s are Remington STS hulls and I use Remington SP410 wads with 15 grains of H-110. Will the SP410 wad work in the AA410HS hull? Again I have a free supply of these hulls and I hate not to be able to use them without having to change components.

5. Jeff K

Jeff K Member

Just take a AA 28 and a AAHS 28 cut both hulls in half. Then take your wad and insert into both hulls you will quickly see how lose your wads are in the HS hulls. The'll probably work in warm weather but in cold weather many bloppers. Trust me on this one

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.