1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AA 28 ga HS Hull Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hitapair, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Seems to me I read on here that there are variations in the length of the 28 ga HS hulls. I did a search and didn't bring it up. What's the story and are the short ones easily recognized by printing on the case or do you need to measure? Are the short ones so short that only certain recipes can be used to reload them?
    Thanks for any input.

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I haven't noticed any problems. I also have seen no necessity of a special wad for the 28 ga. HS hull.

I did find the .410 versio to need the special wad, and that they were shorter than the old version. So I keep them separate.

If you look, you will find the Remington STS 12 guage hulls have a lot of variation in length, in this case a median adjustment of the crimp starter and cam help to ameliorate the difficulty.

HM

3. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

You would have to measure each one which is not necessary. The issue is cosmetic and concerns the crimp and how the looks can vary somewhat. Bottom line, use the correct wad (either the AA HS wad or Claybuster HS clone)and you will barely notice the difference. Certainly not in performance.

People that use a bulky powder like Unique may be more affected that I am using Hogdon HS-6 or Alliant 20/28.

4. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

When the first of the 28HS hulls came out, they were shorter. In the last couple years, Winchester has lengthed the hull to the same as the older CF. On the newer hulls(HS)the longer ones, Winchester has put a special marking on them, and I beleive it a black line under the 28 printing.

David McMillen

5. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

The claybuster AA28HS is slightly shorter than the Winchester factory wad, and thus loads and crimps better.

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

Hitapair

This is a good place to ask 28 ga questions.

But I think David to correct.

Don Verna

7. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Thanks for the responses and the reference to the 28ga society. I'm a regular on the 16ga society but didn't know about the 28ga society.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.