1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AA/27/AA Reloaders?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Express, Aug 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Express

Express TS Member

It is rare that I see any (Big Guns) AA/27/AA saving their hulls to reload. I have to assume they are shooting more that most shooters, however, I always see their empties hitting the ground. I doubt if most of them have shell deals. Are new shells that much better than reloads or do they just not have the time to reload?
    What do you guys think?

2. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

When you see most of the shooters that you describe, they are shooting at a big event and will use factory shells. If you see them at practice, they will be using reloads. Fred

3. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Or the cheaper promotional loads. Fred

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

If you shoot enough to maintain a AA27AA...you really don't have time to reload!

Some people think that factory is better than reloads, others think that you can create shells that are equal, or better than 'promo' loads. Others like to tailor their loads to their particcular prefferences. Some reload to save a little bit of money.

5. Yuman

Yuman TS Member

I shoot factory shells at handycap events because I do not want to give any advantage (real or not) to other shooters. I will save my empties at times but not all the time. If you shoot all factory shells at all handycaps, you will soon have so many once fired hulls that keeping more is just a waste of space. I know some shooters that sell them, and that is probably the best bet. If you can save them and then sell them later, it drives the cost down somewhat on the new ones. I shoot reloads at singles and doubles and that is why I keep most of the factory hulls. I really think that my reloads are as good as factory shells, but the mind is a crual adversary when crossed. I use a Spolar hyd. loader and my loads look perfect and have for several years. I have $10,000 invested in my gun and it cost about $1000 to attend each large shoot, so I feel that going cheap on shells is counter productive. I practice with reloaded shells and they work fine. I know it is a mental thing, but so is 90% of the whole game. Dick Whitman

6. bigben

bigben Active Member

A once-fired carefully loaded reload with premium components is as good as factory, however when flying to out of state shoots it's very cumbersome and counter-productive to transport shells or hulls. Incinerate em!

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Saving hulls is a distraction that most high level competitors can do without during a registered shoot. Most of the AA27AA guys I know have used reloaded ammo in great quantities to get to this level of competence but there is nothing more reassuring than using new STS (or what ever your favorite is) shells on game day. Yuman had it right about the cruel adversary.

8. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I use reloads, And I know a bunch of top shooters that use them.

9. John55

John55 Active Member

I would say that is a true statement!

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

not close to a being AA or 27 yarder, but I let my shells fly at ata shoots. both factory and reloads. 1 less thing to think about. I would think if my gun only extracted the hull I may reach around and drop them in the rear pouch.

11. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

I have also been told by a perennial All American that one of the conditions of a deal on factory shells was to let the empties hit the ground.

12. dverna

dverna Active Member

I am no Top Gun but I was advised by a very good shooter to use factory and let them fly if I got into a shoot off (at the Grand). Just stay focused on hitting the next bird.

It is probably good advice for some. But, I am so cheap that I would be thinking about those beautiful once fired STS hulls parting company with me. LOL

Don (destined to be just another club shooter)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.