1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AA 12GA shell's VS 20's + other's

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by onlym12's, Dec 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onlym12's

onlym12's TS Member

I was told that the reason that Winchester changed the 12GA hull's is because the old Machine had Worn out, therefore changing the product to a two piece hull for cost reason's. Is there any truth to this? I am wondering why there has not been any problem's with the smaller gauge hull's. If this is the reasoning for Winchester's change, they should have spent the money on a new machine for the same product. From what I've been reading a lot of people are staying away from thier 12GA shell's. Has anyone else heard of any problem's with smaller gauge AA's???

Thank's Mike

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Mike, what you have heard is the same as I have heard as well. They also did the two piece wad deal on the 20 Ga.shells as well. I have HEARD that they do not make the one piece shell machine anymore, and all manufactures are making the two piece machine. All of Euro has the two piece as well now. The cost of Win. to have a custom made machines to match thier old machines was way to much. Would have priced them out of the market I Guess. Now I do not think you have anything to worry about reloading there new hulls as long as you use a machine that pushes the primer into the hull from the inside to keep the base wad in place. This is for the 12 ga. and 20 ga. hulls. I do not see a seperate wad base in the 28 ga. or the 410 ga. So I do not think there is any problem with either of the two smaller ga.'s. I still like the new HS hulls as I believe I get more reloads out of them, than I do with the STS's. I have not heard of any problems with the 20 ga. shells and barrels blowing up, but yet they are the same hulls. So I tend to believe it is nothing to worry about. I tend to believe that it is other problems with the barrel or the loader when this happens. I have heard of no problems with any sporting clay shooters (reloading very high speeds) or any of the skeet shooters at any of the clubs I shoot at. Only here do I hear of this problem, or not. I think it was Pat that said the Builder of the Mach l guns (Dennis) I believe was his name ran a test in his lab. and test fired several loads with guns that had barrel obstructions in them like wads in barrel and Win. AA base wads in the barrel as well. He could not get a barrel to blow up. Hope this helps you out. Take it for what is worth. Break-em all. Jeff

3. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

onlym12's:

Winchester AA shotshells are made by Olin Corp. in East Alton, IL. East Alton is part of the metro St. Louis, MO. area. Years ago, I lived within five minutes of Olin's facilities on Powder Mill Road.

Their equipment for manufacturing one piece compression formed AA hulls was indeed worn out. Old style AA hulls made during the last year or so of production would frequently split down the side when the original factory load was fired. It was a bite to pitch once fired hulls that couldn't be reloaded. Olin guys I shot with said the splitting problem was caused by worn out dies.

When Olin changed over to the new equipment, I was still shooting a fair amount of 20 ga. (insert the sk**t word here). I don't remember 20 ga. hulls splitting being a big issue like it was with trap loads.

I can't comment on HS hulls for 28 and .410's.

sissy

4. onlym12's

onlym12's TS Member

Jeff and Recoil Sissy, thank's for the input. It just seem's to be a shame IMO that they had to let go of a product that had proven itself for so long. I guess your right about the cost factor for the new machine, but it is kind of a shame they couldn't find a way to make it work. If what Jeff HEARD about manufacture's not making the one peice shell machine anymore is correct, than when Remington's machine wear's out they will be in the same boat as Olin is right now. That'll kinda suck. Better stock up on STS's, buy them all as fast as we can, No wait, that'll wear out their machine sooner. Just kidding LOL

Thank's Mike

5. TC

TC TS Member

The splitting is due to a "knit line" in the hull as a result of material flow in the mold. This is a processing error not necessarily an equipment problem. The new style hull can be produced at a higher speed and lower cost than the old compression formed one. Every decision there is made based on "manufacturing cost".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.