1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A5 Won't Cycle with 1 oz shells

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by loophole, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loophole

loophole TS Member

Anyone have any suggestions as to having my Browning A5 cycle with 1 oz shells at 1290. I'm not too sure, but I think that there is a way to set up the gun to shoot lighter recoil shells. Would appreciate any suggestions. Ted Schoenke

2. dzeh

dzeh Member

I'm not sure how the Browning works but I've heard on the Beretta guns you can change the spring on the gas relief mechanism to adjust how much gas is used to cycle the gun and how much gets exhausted. I'm sure there are Browning experts out there. I know Cole makes springs of differing tensions for the Beretta autoloaders.

3. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

click above

4. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

you have to change the spring setup under the barrel to the light load position, go to the Browning website and down load the manual in .pdf form, it has pictures and is very easy to understand.

tony

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Reverse the spring and ring.

Jay

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Flip the friction ring over. Also make sure the friction ring doesn't have any internal burrs and the mag tube is clean with no rust or pitting and lightly oiled. Use fine steel wool to clean the tube up if need be. The portion of the barrel that slides into the reciever needs to be clean and rust free as well.

If you have a damaged friction ring,replacements are readily available from Brownells. The recoil spring shouldn't need to be replaced unless it is broken, Brownells has those as well.

I have a vintage A-5 that works very well with loads even lighter than what you want to shoot.

7. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

I don't think an A-5 will function properly with 1 oz shells. I have had one since 1956 and mine will not handle anything less than 1 1/8 oz loads. I loaded some 1 1/16 steel waterfowl loads and it would not function without a failure to eject...................Roger

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Properly set up my '54 Light Twelve has no problem ejecting 1100fps 1ozs,

Jay

9. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

???????????????????????????????????????

"Might" help on a gasgun!!

10. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

Wolfram has it right. My 1938 A-5 light twevle has instructions inside the forearm that tell you to flip the friction ring. It cycles 7/8 oz. shells when set properly. Larry Lockhart

11. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

Besides everything else, make sure you put some light grease inside the serrated bronz friction piece.
    Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
1oz shot browning a5
a5 browning 1958 what shells will it shoot
a5 light 12 wont eject 1oz loads
browning a5 not cycling
browning a5 will not cycle 1oz loads
new browning a5 wont cycle light loads
why wont my browning light twelve cycle

will a browning a5 light twelve cycle a 1 oz load