1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A5 browning

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bigunn, Sep 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigunn

bigunn TS Member

We have a a5 browing that won't cycle the shells we have tried new, reloads and still no go any help as to why?

2. dtate10

dtate10 TS Member

Maybe check your piston rings? May be worn out.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Do you know how the friction ring works and how to reverse it?

Next possibility is the part of the barrel that slides into the reciever my be locked up with rust. ( that was the case with an old A-5 that I rehabed)

4. Straight50

Straight50 Member

Do you have the gun set up for light trap loads?

5. Duck

Duck Member

Find out if its a 3" mag. if so they require the rings to be set for light loads as mentioned above, even then sometimes light loads won't cycle in a Magnum. If its a Light 12 - 2 3/4" and the rings are in installed correctly, I'd add a few drops of oil to outside of the magazine tube where the rings slide under recoil. I've had the A5 not work because of lack of oil more then any other reason. * Note not oiled in cold hunting weather*

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It won't function until you spell its name right. HMB

7. bigunn

bigunn TS Member

It is a three in. mag. and we took it out this weekend.It had been in storage fr 14 or more years and has probly never had more than a box of shell shot though to begin with. How do you ajust the rings?

8. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

There may still be a piece of paper glued inside the forearm showing the proper placement of the friction ring

9. Bill Bauer

Bill Bauer TS Member

Go to the Browning web site and download the manual for an A5 Mag. It shows you how to change and set the friction rings. Even then it may or may not cycle trap loads. Good luck with the gun. I've got one in 12 and one in 20 and have taken lots of birds with them. I don't tote the all steel 12 any more due to age and health. Damn fine guns.
    Bill

10. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Glad to see this thread because one of my friends also has this same problem, we took it apart and cleaned-re-oiled-etc. but his only has one ring on the spring and I-we can't see any difference ie top or bottom on the ring it is 2&3\4" only. It was working just fine. Obviously we are not A5 savvy and he got it used so no instruction--parts manual or schematic diagram. Hoping to see some things to check. Ross Puls

11. Fowlgunner

Fowlgunner Member

When I was in college and shot at the intercollegiate's, I used my Mag A-5 with all the rings in.

Didn't lose any hulls that way.

Tenn Tech didn't have enough shooters to field a squad so I was squadded with the Army C team.

They all thought, "WTH is this hillbilly shooting". LOL

Will

12. cafowler

cafowler Member

The browning website is your friend, spend some time there.
    http://www.browning.com/customerservice/qna/detail.asp?ID=105

There's a one page sheet that shows the 3-4 friction ring configurations, if you can find that, print it and keep it with the gun.

13. skipsor

skipsor Member

The 3 inch A5 will not reliably eject anything lighter than 1 1/4 oz or greater. this gun was designed to hunt geese with 1 7/8 oz loads back when lead was still legal.

There are some people that have had reliable ejection with this gun but it's the exception, not the rule.

It is a great hunting shotgun but not a very good target gun.

The good part is that you won't have to pick up your empties and in a one shot game like trap not ejecting the empty round is probably a plus.

14. mark54

mark54 Member

I broke my first 50 straight & many more with an A-5 3" mag with a 32" full choke barrel. In 1963 I bought a new Browning Broadway, & I still have both of them.

Mark54 in Lititz

15. Firewater

Firewater Member

Also if the chamber is rusted it will not cycle. Mike

16. WJN

WJN TS Member

Here is a link to a pretty good video about the friction ring adjustments for a Rem 11 which is similar.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

a5 trap loads it will cycle

browning a5 and light trap loads

browning a5 for trap loads