1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A5 Browning 12ga reloads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Fanugee, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fanugee

Fanugee Member

I would appreciate any or all assistance.
    First of all my friction rings are set in the light load position.
    I am using 20grs Clays, Win 209, 1oz shot, WAA12 with hulls
    AA Red, AA Gray, STS Premier, Gun Club, Fiocchi, Winchester, Federal Top Gun.
    Last night I disassembled the magazine tube and cleaned out the tube and magazine spring. Cleaned the entire firearm and reassembled. Today it was in the high teens and she would not cycle after the first shot?

I believe I have reached the max powder equivalent for my reloads.

I have been receiving conflicting advice?
    "Keep it completely dry"
    "Oil it up!"

Also
    "Order the replacement recoil spring and friction ring from Brownells"

Appreciate all your assistance in advance.

2. skipsor

skipsor Member

How much shot, 7/8, 1, 1 1/8?

3. Fanugee

Fanugee Member

Thanks for asking. 1 oz shot

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Just to add to this, call browning Mon and they wil tell you what to do.

5. ken a

ken a Member

Before you go to all that try some factory field loads. Been there on a A-5. I tried using my 1oz trap loads that worked fine on my 1100 but it didn't work on the newly aquired A5, Local gunsmith figured it out quick enough.

6. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

I don't like running my magazine tube completely dry. So start with the rings in the "light" position with a very light coating of oil on the mag tube--I like breakfree. If it won't cycle then the next step is a fairly liberal coating of breakfree. If this won't cycle you're pretty much out of luck--you'll have to go to 1.125 loads to cycle. Not the end of the world-its a hunting gun.

New friction rings will just make it worse I would imagine. Make sure you get the groove of the fore end seated in the recess and keep the nut tight. Its easy to split the fore end if you don't. (Don't ask me how I know)

7. Fanugee

Fanugee Member

Thanks to all for the quick responses. I totally agree that it is a hunting gun. However with hunting season being so short I enjoy shooting this antique every chance I get. I will try the lubrication, then move up to 1-1/8 oz if necessary. "KISS" if you know what I mean. I shoot factory shells in the summer as picking hulls up out of the snow drifts lessens the enjoyment now.
    Will keep you posted on the outcome later this week.

8. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

you will note that the brass friction ring has a cut. also the blue steel retainer has a cut. for the real light stuff line them 180 from each. The best oil for tube is the oil you put in chain saw gas "blue stuff" wipe on and wipe off.
    one other thing but MAKE sure you dont forget is reverse the bevel ring under the friction ring . THIS only for very light loads. I do it on 7/8 loads. sometimes they wont full eject then

9. Fanugee

Fanugee Member

Well the plan is to wipe down the A5 Light Twelve completely and keep the rings in the light load setting. The forecast for weather is 20 degrees.
    For the record the last test was the same temp and the gun had a "very very light" coat of Hoppes Dri Lube.

10. Fanugee

Fanugee Member

Complete wipe down with Hoppes #9
    Friction ring setting for light loads
    Estate Hull
    Win 209
    Clays 20gr
    WAA12
    1oz shot
    Temp 20 degrees

Not even a hiccup! Will continue to test to verify this is a solution. Thanks to all for your input.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning a5 recoil spring for trap loads

shootg trap loads in browning a5