1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A word about primers!!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SirMissalott, Oct 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

There have been quite a few threads about different primers lately due in part to cost, availability etc..In particular the subject of diameter when comparing domestic primers to European i.e.Chedite etc. The following comes under the category of a word to the wise (from someone who isn't). I have used most all primers interchangeably depending on what was available with virtually no problems. "UNTIL" I started shooting my 1100 with hulls that were previously loaded with European (larger diameter) primers then switching to domestic (smaller) primers. I have had 4 primers back out completely and cause all kind of fun while on the line, due to primers finding there way into the worst possible places in my action, trigger group etc.. I haven't experienced any issues on break open action I guess because the receiver isn't moving. Hope this helps prevent the same issues with anyone in the future.

P.S. My apologies to my squad mates while I was rebuilding my 1100 while on the line and possibly for the inappropriate language. LOL

2. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

I discovered, to my chagrin, that Nobel primers swell the pockets of American hulls......after I loaded several once fired AAs and such. Next loading I found several piles of powder and a "dropped" primer in my loader....now, I use the remainder for the one time only loading of Kemen or Diana shells and when the primers are gone, so will the hulls.

I'm back to WW primers exclusively.

Best I could tell, measuring the tapered part of the primer, the Nobels were three to five thousandths larger than the WW209s. They also seemed hotter, judging by the sound, recoil and comments by my neighboring shooters.

3. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I have not experienced these problems with Nobel Sport or Fiocchi primers.

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I think you'll find much less concern or unpleasant events when going back and forth with primers in a break open gun. So some will say they have no problems while others do (autos?) and invent many new curses....breakemall......Bob Dodd

5. Squeal

Squeal Member

With my 1100, I have a problem with WW primers falling out of new STS/Nitro hulls. Remington Primers are no problem.

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

That is a fact.you do not want to mix euro and domestic primers. They indeed will swage the pocket larger. Not an issue if you load more than a sleeve.

7. chipking

chipking TS Member

My break open guns don't care at all. Well almost don't care. I will get a gas seepage ring around the primer on the breech face that is a bear to clean up.

My Spolar on the other hand has been jammed 4 times by putting a CCI209 in a Remington hull that had been reloaded with RIO primers. The new primer backs almost out and then when the loader trys to rotate it jams. I went the other route. Now everything I load is with Nobel Sport primers so I don't have to worry.

--- Chip King ---

8. JohnP

JohnP Member

I've read on here that some have had good luck with Cheddite primers but my experience with them is similar to what was mentioned above. From now on I will only use Remington and Winchester primers. don't care about the price difference.

9. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

The term "European primers" is a bit too broad and SirMissaLot specifically named Cheddite primers. It seems I must demonstrate this about every three months:
    Cheddites;
    <a href="http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d26/mobuzz/?action=view¤t=Primers3005.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d26/mobuzz/?action=view¤t=Primers3006.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

WW209;

<a href="http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d26/mobuzz/?action=view¤t=Primers3004.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d26/mobuzz/?action=view¤t=Primers3003.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Buz

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Buz his post was in ref to euro primers not cheddite specifically. But thanks for the example for cheddites.

Jim

11. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Sir Missalot, Yes you need to keep useing the oversized primers once you start useing them. The Win's and Rem's can and will fall out if you switch back. I like the Nobel Sports and will continue to use them as long as I can get them. No problems with fireing pins piercing the metal primer cover. I have no reason to look back. Besides if you pull out say 500 hulls and load them 10 times just throw them out as you run out of primers. No big deal. At the price Rem's and Win's are now they can forget it, as long as I can get these Euro primers at a fair price. Break-em all. Jeff

12. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Thanks to all hope this can help someone from going through the aggravation!!

13. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

BigM-Perazzi, re-read Sir MissaLot's post. I quote, "In particular the subject of diameter when comparing domestic primers to European i.e.Chedite etc."

Rick Barker, take a look at my first post on this thread and tell everyone how Cheddites can enlarge the primer hole.

Buz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.