1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A Wonderful Day in Illinois - Justice Done

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Recoil Sissy, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

It's just been announced that federal judge James Zagel has sentenced disgraced and impeached former governor Rotten Rod Blagojevich to 14 years in the slammer. Governor dipsh!t was convicted in June on 18 federal criminal counts. The most publicized was an attempt to sell a vacant U.S. Senate seat.

Blagojevich is a career criminal. He was a crook before his first term in the governor's office and a crook every day while in office. As prosecutors said during the sentencing hearing, Blagojevich misused the power of his office "from the very moment he became governor."

Good riddance to bad garbage.

Unfortunately, in the federal prison system, there's no "truth in sentencing". For each day of good behavior, one day will be deducted from his incarceration. As a practical matter, he will service seven years.

sissy

2. Joe Schmo

Joe Schmo Member

I don't believe you are correct about the day-for-day federal system. He will do most of it.

3. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Heard last night on TV from legal analysts that you have to serve 80% sentence before being eligible for release.

4. Recoil Sissy

Gentlemen:

I truly hope you are correct and I am not.

sissy

Edited addition 3:23 pm:

I don't want to lose sight of the important point. Blagojevich was found guilty of nearly all the charges he faced. That's only a fraction of the crimes he committed but 14 years is a major victory for the law abiding citizens of the state.

My original comment (reducted time for good behavior) was based on an article I read during the trial. It may or may not have been accurate but it stated that Blagojevich would serve more time if convicted on the same charges in a state court than he would if convicted in a federal court.

I just did a quick search. It would appear at first glance that provisions of federal Truth in Sentencing (TIS) vary from state to state. As of 2008, only 35 states and D.C. had adopted some form of TIS.

The specific crime committed is also a factor. In applicable jurisdictions, violent offenders serve a minimum of 85%. I couldn't find a definitive statement about TIS guidelines in Illinois for white collar crimes.

Can anyone cite a definitive reference?

5. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Too bad his main partner in crime is still Commander in Dis-belief.

6. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

For his sake he should not be placed in general population once in the slammer. With his sweet boy looks he would wind up getting boned every day. He will write a book in the joint telling all his dealings with the Chicago crooks including barry.

7. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

He's going to a minimum security work farm type prison. They will even allow him to go home for a while until they find a suitable place for him. They will give him a date to report to club Fed.

8. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Hopefully after 14 years he'll have grown up and maybe get a buzz cut.

blade819

9. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Welcome to the world of politics. He just happened to get caught.

10. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

He got caught on tape saying "this F ing thing I have is golden". That was the nail in his coffin. (he could have been talking about his new Henry rifle}.

He was very slick doing what he did while being recorded for thousands of hours by the FBI, and this was the most damming statement they could put together.

Not slick enough though...hee hee.

11. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

In Federal prison there is no parole, but you get 54 days of credit per year served, which means that you serve roughly 85 percent of your sentence.

For Blago that's a little less than 12 years.

Scott

12. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Loved the quote from the Tribune article:

"Blagojevich said he thought he was acting in accord with the law when he did things for which he later was convicted."

[​IMG]

13. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

Sissy Obama could give him a pardon (Could he not). Birds of a feather stick together. I hope not !! Chicago politics, I wouldn't put anything past them.

Dave

14. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I doubt if BO will pardon Blago. Blago not only broke the law he tried to sneak the prize past the rest of the rotten politicians in Cook county. Dem guys didn't get there taste of the pie and they left Blago to twist in the wind.

Fox reported today that Blago will serve his time in the pen at Terre Haute, Ind. Merry Christmas Roddy.

15. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

There are a lot of crooks in Chicago and it's about time and is a start to putting them in prison. Unfortunately, I believe the same could be said of most large cities and has a rain down effect right down to your local town. Jackie B.

16. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I'm curious what Obama had to pay for his seat, or who paid it for him.

It seems these seats are "Golden" and don't come free.

17. WIN12 MAN

WIN12 MAN TS Member

Blago got 14 yeras > So what ///

Ill. voters got what they voted for > nothings changed.

The village idiots will elect another left wing loser &

beat goes on ... who gives a S@#$%.
    Win

18. Recoil Sissy

win12mannn:

Actually, it was Crook County voters that got what THEY voted for.

A majority of what you define as village idiots live in Crook County. FWIW they already elected another loser.

The Illinois Lt. Governor is a do nothing job. No serious person runs for it. The candidates are always losers. Some are political nobodies trying to gain name recognition for a future run at a real office. Others have tried but can't win a real office. The latter describes current Governor, Patrick Quinn.

Quinn was a political wannabee for 30 years. His highest previous office was 'marginal hanger on'.

Following Blagojevich's impeachment, Quinn became the default governor. As the default incumbent, Quinn could only manage to carry three out of 102 Illinois counties in the 2010 general election. Crook County is all that mattered. The villiage idiots (some dead some still alive) sent him back for a second term.

Here's the deal - Crook County politics works like a septic tank. The biggest chunks always float to the top. That's why Obummer carried Illinois in 2008 and will again in 2012. It's also the reason "Chicken Dick" Durbin has been a U.S. Senator since 1996. You might care because YOU are stuck with them too.

sissy

PS: As an aside, Chicken Dick is a product of St. Clair County having been born in East St. Louis. St Clair is another septic tank. It carried Obummer by a landslide in 2008 - likewise Quinn in 2010. Durbin's so feckless he once aspired to be a do nothing Lt. Governor. He ran for it in 1978... and lost.

19. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

As Illinoians we should be proud that the corruption didn't stop at the state level, but has leached in to the white House and Federal Governement. Obama, his wife, Tony Resko, Patty Blago, her fater city council big wig in the state of chicago the list goes on and on. How do you spell Corruption? ILLINOIS

20. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

I didn't follow this very closely, so if he was convicted in state court, then he will more than likely serve 50% of his sentence. If he was tried federally, regardless of the state... He will serve 85% of his sentence for good time with no infractions... So whatever the exact math is of 14 years, I would say just under 12 years give or take a few months.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.