1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A walk down memory lane. Do you remember these?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Barrelbulge(Fl), May 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Aug 27, 2007
    West Central Florida
    Someone asked the other day, 'What was your favorite fast food when you were growing up?'

'We didn't have fast food when I was growing up,' I informed him.

'All the food was slow.'

'C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?'

'It was a place called 'at home,' I explained. ! 'Mom cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.'

By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table.

But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I figured his system could have handled it :

Some parents NEVER:

owned their own house,

wore Levis ,

set foot on a golf course,

traveled out of the country

or had a credit card.

In their later years they had something called a revolving charge card. The card was good only at Sears Roebuck. Or maybe it was

Sears & Roebuck. Either way, there is no Roebuck anymore. Maybe he died.

My parents never drove me to soccer practice. This was mostly because we never had heard of soccer. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow).

We didn't have a television in our house until I was 5.

It was, of course, black and white, and the station went off the air at midnight, after playing the national anthem and a poem about God; it came back on the air at about 6 a.m. and there was usually a locally produced news and farm show on, featuring local people.

I was 13 before I tasted my first pizza, it was called 'pizza pie.' When I bit into it, I burned the roof of my mouth and the cheese slid off, swung down, plastered itself against my chin and burned that, too. It's still the best pizza I ever had.

We didn't have a car until I was 4. It was an old black Dodge.

I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone in the house was in the living room and it was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home. But milk was.

All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers --my brother delivered a newspaper, six days a week. It cost 7 cents a paper, of which he got to keep 2 cents. He had to get up at 6AM every morning. On Saturday, he had to collect the 42 cents from his customers. His favorite customers were the one s who gave him 50 cents and told him to keep the change. His least favorite customers were the ones who seemed to never be home on collection day.

Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies. There were no movie ratings because all movies were responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence or most anything offensive.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren. Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.

Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?

MEMORIES from a friend :

My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house (she died in December) and he brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it. I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old.

How many do you remember?

Head lights dimmer switches on the floor.
    Ignition switches on the dashboard.
    Heaters mounted on the inside of the fire wall.
    Real ice boxes.
    Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.
    Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner.
    Using hand signals for cars without turn signals.&nbs p;

Older Than Dirt Quiz :

Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about

Ratings at the bottom.

1 Blackjack chewing gum
    2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water
    3. Candy cigarettes
    4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles
    5. Coffee shops or diners with tableside juke boxes
    6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
    7. Party lines on the telephone

8. Newsreels before the movie
    9. P.F. Flyers
    10. Butch wax
    11. TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning. (there were 3 channels, if you were fortunate)
    12. Peashooters
    13. Howdy Doody
    14. 45 RPM records
    15. S& H green stamps

16. Hi-fi's
    17. Metal ice trays with lever
    18. Mimeograph paper
    19 Blue flashbulb
    20. Packard's
    21. Roller skate keys
    22. Cork popguns
    23. Drive-ins
    24. Studebakers
    25. Wash tub wringers

If you remembered 0-5 = Y ou're still young
    If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older
    If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age,
    If you remembered 16-25 = You're older than dirt!

I might be older than dirt but those memories are some of the best parts of my life.

Don't forget to pass this along!!
    Especially to all your really OLD friends...

Don't forget to post how many you knew on the quiz. Bulge
  2. 682Fan

682Fan TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Hey Bulge
    I remember all that stuff, many memories.

You might be a little younger than me, or more affluent.

We didn't get a TV until I was about 8 or 9. Yes, 3 channels. The poorest kid on the block had the first TV, so small it had a large magnifying lens un front of the tube.

Parent sold their first car-37 Chevy, to move to a house outside the city.

For a few years while I was quite young, we all walked to the FOOD Fair market and carried groceries home.

A big night may have been to go to the drive in and get some of those wonderfull treats, like french fries and soda. Does anyone remember Cliquot Club, or Yoohoo chocolate soda? Was popular here in NJ back then.

Some of the kids had dads who returned from the war. Some had a closet full of guns, which we would always look at and fondle.
    No one ever dreamed of taking one to school to settle a score.

If a fistfight occurred, no one was sued and all was quickly forgotten.

Most of my boyhood memories are rich-we played outside all the time, ran through the woods, swam in the creek, made like Indians.

I wouldn't trade my youth for that of today's kids.

It seems that your memories are your treasures when you begin to age.

3. jimsw

jimsw Member

May 29, 2006
    Speaking of guns in school I remember one of my classmates brought 2 guns to school that his brother in Europe had liberated from Germans. A P-38 and a Luger! In school no less and out on the playground during recess. The teacher didn't mind they weren't loaded!

Can you imagine what would happen today if a kid brought an AK-47 to class?!!

Those were the good old days....

KEYBEAR Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I grew up on a farm we never ate anyplace but home . Dinner was always good even if we had something we did,t like we ate it (because we were hungry) It,s funny if you work 10 or 12 hours a day food is always good . Bad news I remember all the things you list plus Sin-sin and two cent peanuts And how about Flavour Straws . Once a year we would go see my mothers family in Chicago . 100 miles one way get up at 4:00 am drive till noon and stop along the road at a picnic table and eat cold chicken and Cool-Aid . We would get home about 10:00 PM if lucky . About the car heater Dad,s was under the front seat and used white gas .

5. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Nov 7, 2008
    I grew up in the 1950's and remember my first gun, a Ruger 10/22 Sporter, that my dad gave me half of the money (Christmas Gift) and I mowed grass at $1.25 per yard. Next year I got a Remington Nylon 66. Cleaned both guns today and was teary-eyed as I lost my Dad on April 6th. I can't tell you how much these two 22's mean to me. I remember when a dime, quarter, fifty cent piece and a silver dollar all contained silver. Then the sixties; guy next door had a 1967 Marina Blue Corvette, 427, 435 hp, 4 speed. No drugs in my neighborhood but plenty of automotive fluids. Those were the days. Good music and a great time to be alive. BT-100dc
  6. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Orange Crush in brown bottles
    Highway Patrol
    Mangles for ironing cloths
    Chains in the kitchen to open the damper on the furnace
    Penny candy
  7. letts

letts TS Member

Oct 31, 2006
    I worked in the woods for my step dad, was paid a $1.00 a day. With the money I saved I went to Mont. Wards and bought a new Zebco 33 fishing reel. It cost $19.50 plus tax then. The same reel with a few changes is cheaper today. I think I was 12 years old at the time. Oh, by the way I had to have it fixed under warranty.

8. Wyogoose

Wyogoose TS Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Hand cranked ice cream from fresh cream at the Fourth of July dance. Turning the antenae for the tv. Having rifle club matches under the pool at school for extra curicular activity. Drinking from the hose wasn't a sin. Nor the creek. You could actually straddle a bicycle or a horse without a piece of plastic on our heads. The majority of the population was rural/agricultural and common sense was a lot more common. Root cellars and ice trucks. County fairs were about farmers and ranchers getting togethers rather than car dealership and a flea market. Every car you passed on the highway waved at you or stopped if you were pulled over if for nothing else just to shoot the breeze.
  9. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Older tha dirt but barely. Chopping thistles all day for a box of 22's. Magnet on a string to get the coke bottle tops out of the outside Coke machine to get the players underneath. Grandpa chewing Apple plug. Little plastic things or the toilet paper tube sized adapter for 45 records. Charging up a condensor and leaving it laying LOL 45 record johnny Stewart crow call The downtown freezer lockers for butchered goods. Dial a grade Sunoco gas ! Jeff
  10. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Los Angeles
    I'm surprised, nobody mentioned walking to school in the snow, uphill both ways. :)
  11. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    with no shoes!
  12. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Near but not in chicago
    Bulge, I don't remember any of that stuff your making it all up.
  13. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Aug 27, 2007
    West Central Florida
    Bruce, suck farts. You originated half of them. LOL Bulge
  14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Burma Shave signs, Three color plastic that fit over the TV screen to make a black and white have a little color. A radio and heater were options in a new car. Every boy was in the Boy Scouts. Three o'clock Sock Hops in Junior High School. The boys on one side of the gym and the girls on the other side. Gillett Blue blades, scraping my Zits off (bloody).

Much better days for kids, back then.
  15. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Jan 29, 1998
    Northampton PA
    Looking forward to trapping season when a trunkload of muskrats were worth .50 each and feeling rich after a trip to the fur dealer. That is, until the guy down the street always helped himself to all your traps!!
  16. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Growing up in St Louis I remember....

Sunday morning...Paper boys pulling newspaper carts shouting out the headline for the Post Dispatch.

Fruit and vegetable vendors in trucks driving through neighborhoods selling their goods.

Trolley cars....

Real cherry and chocolate Cokes sold at a soda fountain.

Collecting pop bottles to get the deposit money to buy candy, a baseball, etc.

Fresh hot pretzels from a corner streetstand.

Getting a caramel apple at Halloween.....and you could feel safe eating it.

Getting into a fistfight on Saturday and the guy was my friend on Sunday....

Kids just don't get it.....life was simple and a lot of fun back then.

Jim C
  17. DONNE

DONNE Member

Jan 29, 1998
    So , that was YOU oleolliedawg that got my traps (all leghold by the way)! Most I ever got for a rat was a $1.50 and she was BIG. $.75 for the black ones . Stretched 'em over a homemade board stretcher. The fur dealer came to the house twice a season . Checked all the traps before and after school too.
  18. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Northeastern MD @ the top o the Bay
    Remember when Almond Smash gave Pepsi and Coke a run for their money? My Dads old Buick had a starter that cranked by simply pushing down on the gas pedal..and had a hood release on both sides of the car..It could tilt open from the left or the right and if you pulled both latches at the same time...you could lift it totally off...exposing that monster old straight 8..that accelerated like a snail through that one spd Dynaflow tranny..and the vacuum tube AM radio that took 3 to 4 minutes to warm up before any sound would come out
  19. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Kayo and snaps ... WPT ... (YAC) ...
  20. Ibex

Ibex TS Member

Jan 29, 1998

$1.50 a rat!! Wow I dreamed of it. I was possibly the worst trapper ever.. nothing but oppossum in the rat sets,skunks in the coon traps & magpies in the coyote sets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.