1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A visit to Ottsville

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Apr 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Know those of you who travel to the big Trap tournaments see these good folks all the time and it’s nothing special for you. But I have never been to a major Trap tournament so I hadn’t met with these two fine gentlemen before. Had seen the Krieghoff displays at the various Las Vegas shows.

With prior arrangements after normal business hours, visited the Krieghoff International folks in Ottsville, Pennsylvania, this week and spent about 1½ hours with Alex Diehl, their Chief Operating Officer, and Don Baughman, the Technical Manager.

Both gentlemen were extremely helpful and tolerated my questions very well.

Their diagnosis and recommendations for my shooting stance alone was worth the trip. I have a lifelong habit of canting any long gun. Inside of just a few seconds they were able to tell me why I cant (twist) a gun and how to fix it.

They put together over a couple of dozen different barrel and stock combinations on different K-80 actions to allow me to try the different configurations to assess which ones might best suit my needs. This included trying actions with different steel finishes to see if the blued, nitride, or nickel finishes would cause me problems in different kinds of light. (Any questions about the interchangeability of barrels and stocks on any K-80 action were definitely answered by this unplanned, unanticipated demonstration.)

Tried a lot of different wood for stock dimensions and fit. Looked at different pieces of wood of different grades. A lot of their standard grade wood is actually very nice.

Saw a lot of different K-80 actions with different grades of engraving. Saw one where even the insides of the action were gold plated. (Don’t think that action will accidently get shipped out as a “standard grade”.)

Looked at different relatively inexpensive options which really spiced up the appearance of a standard grade K-80.

Checked out standard hunting barrels and field dimensioned stocks. Though my current K-80 interests center around Trap shooting, they assured me that a Krieghoff could be used for upland birds too (slightly different configuration might be more optimal).

Asked Alex and Don about the annual service needs of the K-80 and the normal turnaround times for service.

With prior arrangements, they assured me that if I fly into a nearby airport, I could drop off a K-80 at their Ottsville headquarters. I could go have breakfast and the gun service would be completed by the time I finished my biscuits & red-eye gravy, salt-cured country ham, and grits. With prior arrangements, if I wanted to ship a gun to them they could turn the gun around in less than four weeks including shipping time. Maybe Alex said three weeks.

While the annual service is recommended, they assured me that a K-80 could continue operating for a local weekend trap shooting hobbyist for quite a while between necessary services.

Not sure that I convinced Alex or Don that the world is breathlessly awaiting the public announcement of the 16 gauge K-80 or the 36-inch long Trap Special over/under barrels. Or that screw-in chokes were a passing fad…

But maybe I made some headway.

May be contacting a Krieghoff dealer soon to make final arrangements.

2. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

" they assured me that a Krieghoff could be used for upland birds too (slightly different configuration might be more optimal). "

for a K80 or K20? For driven/tower shoots or walking?

3. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Diehl favors the K-20 with 28 gauge barrels for upland birds, but he thinks that pheasant roosters can be brought down with less than 2 ounces of #2 lead shot.

And we all know that ain't true.

Well, maybe 1¾ ounces of #3 shot in the early season...

But the K-80 receiver can be configured with sporting or field barrels and a field type buttstock to make it suitable for walking or other bird hunting/shooting scenarios.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Canting a gun is a good thing to do. It puts the rib and beads in front of your shooting eye, while keeping your head up straight and your eyes level. HMB

5. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

The folks at Ottsville are great, particularly the two you mentioned. Glad you had a good trip.

6. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Don is great. He gave me very helpful advice on my K-32 when I had it, and he did a fantastic job turning the pulls into double releases. I love Krieghoff triggers.

7. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

"...slight confusion on their part..."

Confusion as to its purpose usually makes any meeting a little awkward, doesn't it ?

8. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

The good folks at Ottsville were very complimentary of their dealers and how they would help in the selection and sales process.

9. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I bought my K80 and just recently, my K20, from Clay Target Sports. Excellent dealer...

10. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I use a K80 lightweight receiver with K32 triggers to hunt with

K80 barrel reduced to 25 inches with briley choke and custom - golden tungsten nitrided rib

With that 12 gauge barrel it weighs 5 pounds

I have a K32 montecarlo trap stock on it and a K32 trigger guard= to reduce the weight - k32 stocks being much less bulky

Regards from Iowa

Gene

11. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Hammer I am glad you had a good time. I will have to mention that I went out yesterday and shot my trap special 5 rounds and the more I shoot it the more I have come to relize why they cost more money. I have owned six different brands of combo,s with none of them a close second to my krieghoff. It is one of those guns that you just can't wait until the next time out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.