1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A very interesting triple barrel 16 gauge

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tumbleweed, Nov 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Member

A local gun shop owner showed me a very unusual triple barrel 16 ga shotgun today. It was a side by side with a third barrel directly underneath the centerline of the top pair. All three barrels were 16 ga. shotgun. It had the words "Jager's Patent" stamped on the under side of the receiver and the owner said he believed it was a German built gun that dated around the 1920's or 30's. I will try to get back with a camera and get a picture.

Can anyone tell me about this gun? Sorry I was unable to get a picture today.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Here is a few examples of "Drillings" some of which are Krieghoff's. Zardozforty is correct as most are double rifles with a shotgun barrel. I'm sure about any configuration could be made. Also a link above for some reading. Its a European thing.---Matt

grntitan_2009_2503136.jpg

grntitan_2009_2503137.jpg

3. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Forty plus years ago, a gunsmith neighbor had a very large collection of three, and even four, barrel guns.

One had two 16 gauge barrels, one 22 rimfire barrel, and an 8mm rifle barrel.

Think they were all of German origin from the time period between World War I and World War II. Think the gunsmith said that laws following Germany's defeat in World War I limited German citizens to a single gun for private ownership and these multi-caliber-gauge guns were the innovative German response to this. But some of these existed before the war.

Think the gunsmith also said that many of the German hunters at that time were truly meat hunters for the dinner table and wanted a single gun in their possession while hunting that allowed them the greatest opportunity for whatever game they came across.

This gunsmith had hundreds of these style guns. When he passed away, they all disappeared within days.

There was at least one article in the old Gun Digest about three and four barrel guns, but I cannot remember which year it was written.

Hammer

4. The Literalist

The Literalist Well-Known Member

Zardoz,

Drilling comes from "Drei"--German for "three."

4-barrel guns are "vierlings" ("vier"--German for "four.")

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I guess i could see its purpose for a meat hunter not wanting to lug around multiple guns. That way one could bring home both feathered and fur for the dinner table. Great conversation pieces as well.

Matt

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

most European hunters own one and take it when they are invited to hunt

The "fare" isnt announced until that morning= hunters gather around and the host may say phesant, hare, restock, and duck

and off you go- with a lot of dogs- each group has one- the host by law has to own a dog to be able to retrieve game

over here even a brand like Krieghoff is hard to sell- the off brands as you describe are worth about nothing

also if they have claw mounts for scopes- those mounts were individually made so cannot be easily replaced- and never can be replaced at a reasonable expense

regards from Iowa

Gene

7. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

There are English, German and Belgian 3 barrels shotguns. ALL barrels are shotgun barrels. A friend of mine has several 1n 12/16 and 20ga. Some have 3 triggers, others have 2 triggers--one being a non-selective trigger firing 2 of the barrels and the remaining trigger firing the other barrel. They are not often seen. I'd love to see pix of this one. What is the asking price?

8. twotimer

twotimer Member

Zardoz... that's exactly what Armsport called their three barrel shotgun, the 2900 trilling! Mike

9. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Most that I have seen have been shotgun shotgun and then a rifle. I have seen only one 3 barrel shotgun drilling. Most are made in Germany. If you can buy it buy it and it will in time go up in value. I just wish I could aford one at this time.

Years ago I saw and wanted a vierling. 12x12x30-06 with a 22 hornet in the middle. At that time it was only $8500.00. I was told years later it is worth $12,000.00.

10. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Auctioneer- my experience is very different

Drillings dont go up in vaule in the US as a general rule

They are pretty rock bottom and go down from there

Very hard to sell

Now everyone that owns one will tell you how much they are worth- but try to sell

regards from Iowa

Gene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

german three barrel gun 16gauge

triple barrel 16 gauge

tripple barrel 16 gauge