1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A True 1 1/8 oz of shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by djpk69, Dec 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

I've seen the threads on an adjustable MEC bar. I always used bushings and was more concerned with grains of powder. I just got a new electronic scale and my 1 1/8th shot bar is only 1.05 oz. of shot. Weighed each shell in my last 25 ..and had to add approx. 30 -7 1/2's to reach 1 1/8th ( 1.125) Oz. Kind of concerns me with PSI/FPS/etc. Weighed my 1 1/4 bar and it was 1.19 oz. ..probably off by another 30-35 pellets. Anyone ever REEM out a MEC bar to be EXACT? MEC bushing are usually conservative......but I never thought about SHOT.

2. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

"Anyone ever REEM out a MEC bar to be EXACT?"

Yes, I have & I know many others who have also. Most bars are light just about the same number of shot as you found with yours. Does it make much of a difference? I don't really know.

3. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I have used my Dremel tool to customize many of my Hornady and P/W bushings. (Powder and shot). When I have the bushings "fine tuned", I mark them as to what charges are thrown. Good Luck.. Ed

4. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

The bushing only controls volume. The actual weight is dependent on the shot size as well as the antimony content. Magnum shot is lighter than chilled shot per volume.

size 8 shot will be heavier than 7 1/2 if the volume is constant.

Which is why I like adjustable charge bars on my Dillon instead of bushings

5. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Well, to SEE. ..(and I can't ever be certain)......I took my last 25 shells off my press (took about an hour to laod 1 box on a 650 Grabber) and added 25-30 shot on my scale to weigh EXACTLY 1.125 OZ./per shell. I plan on shooting a "light" box followed by a "true" box this SUNDAY. Wish I had a independent company to do this though ! Actually, I shoot pretty consistent after my first box...within 1-2 birds.

6. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

I must admit.......I load 8's and 7 1/2's. I had 20lbs. of reclaimed shot left and ADDED perhaps 2 lbs to each of my NEW bags of each (need to get rid of it now that shot is coming down). Guess I'll see what happens Sunday, and weigh some true 8's and 7 1/2's. It does make SENSE that BY volume in a bushing......1 1/8 oz of "say" #9's would weigh more than 1 1/8 of # 6's (lots moe air in the 6's).AND it makes SENSE that MEC would be CONSERVATIVE.

7. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

MEC makes the bars for chilled shot...GOOD LUCK

8. trap906

trap906 Member

the 1 1/8 of shot is volume, not weight

9. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

I've always had good sucess with my loads. I am just wondering how 1 1/16 oz. differs from 1 1/8th oz. ,probably not much........MAYBE 1/2 way between 1oz. loads and 1 1/8 oz. loads. SO, just "decifer" the "halve way" PSI and FPS of the load you want?

10. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Trap 906 .....1 1/8 OZ of shot is volume? Seriously? I thought 1 1/8th oz. was 1.125 oz. weight?

11. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

dkusner, I actually know of gents that are anal enough to specifically throw 1 1/16th oz.

Yes Iam anal enough that I have adjustable many a bar in my day to throw exactly what I intended/wanted to throw. Does it make a difference? Anything you mentally believe does and thus I do. In actualality, yes it does in pressure thus speed. Less inertia to push against upon ignition.

12. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Well......I think I'll just go out and clean the pebbles out of my tire treads ! Of couse YOU know I'm gonna break 25 straight with my TRUE 1 1/8 oz. shells come Sunday......at least that'll be my STORY.I've just added 30 more pieces of lead to the already 350 or so. That's almost ...almost 10% more. Come SUNDAY....that's gonna look like shooting a bull in a barrel......or whatever. Am I going to reem my bar? ....probably NOT......am I going to add 30 pellets to each load....Definetly NOT. Am I going to think about an adjustable bar?.......MAYBE.

13. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Bushings are bush league. Just think of all the money you've saved by loading 1 1/16 oz of shot all of these years.

14. psfive

psfive Member

This is the reason I use adjustable bars. See the other thread running right now on the subject. I was always short shot. Not any longer. I got over altering bars and bushings a long time ago. Paul

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Did you ever check your new electronic scale to see how accurate it is. HMB

16. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Some of you go to a lot of trouble grinding on charge bars to get a specific drop. I just add tape to larger bars to accomplish the same thing. I can fine tune my charge bars without any permanent changes. That's all in the past now.

I've changes to 366's and their bushing are much more accurate than what Mec has to offer.

ec90t

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

I use a rat-tail file and finger nail polish to modify my shot and powder bushings.

As far a volume and shot size, we could get into an interesting (to a few of us) mathematical discussion of the packing theory. If we put an equal weight of #2 shot and #12 shot in a universally large container (one with no sides), they will take up the same volume. It is the edge effect that results in a bushing dropping slightly heaver loads of #8 shot compared to #7.5 shot.

Pat Ireland

18. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Forget the edge effect. If you are using a Mec you can get some low numbered bushings, like 12, 13, or 14 and drill them out for different types of shot, chilled or magnum, and different size shot, and get it to drop the weight you want. HMB

19. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

And after you do what hmb suggests you can fine tune them with 3M black electrical tape adhered to the inside wall of the cavity, if you made the hole too large. A Hornady rep taught me that trick years ago. If you use the good tape it will never come unstuck unless you work at removing it.

20. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Yes, I checked my new scale (From Gamaliel's MTM mini digital for $30, pretty nice scalle for the money) against my Lyman's balance scale. Within .01 of a grain.Plus it came with a "test" weight that was right on. Perhaps I'll take my 1 1/4 oz charge bar and try the "tape" method EC90T talks about. It is weighing out 1.19 oz. of 7 1/2's. What kind of tape? MAN's favorite DUCT tape?
    Looking at Titegroup recipies.....if I load 18.5 grains, in my supposed 1 1/8 oz recipe, I end up with a 11,500 PSI / 1255FPS shell. Same load with 1oz of shot is 10,100PSI / 1290FPS. So, I would GUESS that with my 1 1/16 oz, at least my pressure is not higher (between 10,100 and 11,500) but my speed is more than 1255 ( somewhere between 1255 and 1290.Thus, if SPEED kills (patterns).....I have the TRUE answer to my PAST misses. And to think that I have lost sleep over believing it was the INDIAN and NOT the ARROW !
    Lastley, WHAT are all the RECIPIES designed for ? 1 1/8th oz. BY VOLUME or WEIGHT ? I always assumed that it is WEIGHT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.