1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A trip to Kolar

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ms_yuan, Jun 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ms_yuan

ms_yuan Member

I had the pleasure of going to Kolar for a custom stock and fit this week. I’ve never done something like this before and what an eye opener. I know there are other manufacturers who treat their customers right, but let me just say that I’ve never been treated like this before. Jeff Mainland is one of the nicest, most personable and all-out competent guys I’ve had the privilege to meet. He spent about 7 hours with me from blank to shaped but unfinished stock and at the end of the session I had a stock in my hands that felt more natural, more comfortable, than I could imagine. It's also vastly different from any off the shelf stock I've seen, with buckets of offset and a wicked twist for toe-out, but I can mount the gun with my eyes closed and when I open them, everything lines up. When I shot it at their patterning facility, there was very little felt recoil.

Will it make a difference in my shooting? Perhaps yes, perhaps no – I’ll see in 10 weeks or so, but I’ll still be a happy camper. I got to pick out the blank, I got to see it rough cut and machined, I got to feel it get more and more natural as an extension of my hand as Jeff asked questions, had me mount the gun (many times), made marks, filed and sanded.

On the metal side, I was lucky enough to have a tour of the factory, to see the various bar stock in the process of being machined into receivers, ejectors, trigger guards, hammers, etc. Virtually all of the metal in the gun is machined from bar stock. Only the opening lever is investment cast. I saw the barrels in the process of being mated to the monoblock. The amount of handwork that goes into these guns – the basic guns, not just the incredibly engraved guns, is pretty enlightening. What I particularly enjoyed was the pride that came through in the voice of my guide, Keith, as he showed me around the factory – not only in the final products, but also in the skill of his colleagues.

The next 10 weeks or so will be very long weeks, indeed.

2. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

Glad you had a good experience! A great American made product with service to back it up. I've wanted a Kolar for a decade now and finally got a lightly used combo and couldn't be happier.Looking forward to going up and poking around myself.Enjoy your Kolar!

3. Kubota Bill

Kubota Bill TS Member

I met Jeff at the Las Vegas 1000 and ordered a gun there. I have 6 weeks to go--you might have been looking at my gun in production!! Your comments here give me confidence in my descison to go with Kolar. Thanks

4. claybreaker808

claybreaker808 Member

I haven't had the pleasure of a trip to Racine, WI to visit Kolar, however, I have a Kolar Skeet Combo with custom stock coming in two weeks. My gun was fitted for me by John Shima while using his Kolar during my last visit to San Antonio, TX. The Kolar gun is amazing! I shot it better from the first target due to is balance and pointability. Kolar made a subguage tubeset for me last year and their service was awesome so I decided to purchase my next gun from them.

George

5. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

AMEN to all of the above! Keith will drink a beer with you if you threaten him.
    (usually only takes once)

SUPER folks!

Dave in Georgia

6. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Although, I have never met Jeff Mainland, I use to shoot with his dad Don once in awhile. Jeff is obviously a chip off the old block as they say. I live 30 minutes from Kolar and have been there numerous times when Don Mainland was running the place. No matter if you were rich or poor Don always made me feel like I was the most important customer he had.

It is nice to here that this company in my own back yard is doing well and treating it's customers right. Glad you had a positive experience at Kolar.
    Steve Balistreri

7. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

A great gun. A great company. Great people. I have never been to the factory but I have met Jeff and dealt with Keith; both eye-opening experiences. I use them as my model for how a company should treat its customers. Simply. the best!

8. RAScott

RAScott Member

The thing I like about kolar is when you purchase a gun from them, you are part of the family. I have seen and handeled many nice shotguns, but it feels different when in this day and age when you hold an American made fine firearm and you can feel the quality.

I purchased mine used, I also took the trip to Racine, for a fitting and met Jeff and Kieth. I have spoken with both since my trip, and they ARE what this country needs, and companies that are run like Kolar. I like to compare them to a Harley Davidson you you can buy a bike cheaper, and faster but there is only one Harley Davidson.

Bob S

9. ms_yuan

ms_yuan Member

Steve, I had the pleasure of meeting Don while I was being fitted by Jeff. Both were very kind and gentlemen, as well.

Has it been ten weeks, yet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.