1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A Tribute To My Dad

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BT-100dc, Apr 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Lost my Dad on April 6, 2009. What he taught me was respect for guns and other values, religious and otherwise. I mentioned in other threads about guns that had a special meaning becuase my Dad gave as a gift or let me work for the money to buy it. Now that's what has stuck with me for my whole life of 56 years. He was 82, a WWII B.A.R. rifleman who saw combat in the Phillipines. I will sorely miss him. A remembered man never dies.

Feel free to reflect on how a special person brought special meaning to your life that makes you who you are. Darrell

2. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

Sorry for your loss. Lost my Dad a little over a year ago. He was 85, loved trapshooting and also a WWII vet. I fell very fortunate to have a lot of good memories and had lots of years being with and around him. He lives on with me always. Remember the good times. Paul

3. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Sorry about your loss. Lost my dad in 1989 and still miss him. He also was a WWII veteran.

Charlie

4. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I'm sorry about the loss of your dad. Remember him and has you stated he is never really gone. It sounds as if you were very close and that great.

5. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hi
    I know how you feel. I lost my daddy in 1994 to leukemia. He never went to college, but took basic at Fort Gordon, MP school at Fort Leonard Wood, and was a city policeman in Marion, In. for 21 years. He served during peacetime between Korea and Vietnam. He had a plan, knew what he wanted to do with his life, and used his street smarts better than anyone. He could spot an expired tag from 2 football fields away, and always knew when you got pulled over before you could get home and make up a story. He was a policeman back in the day when everyone in town knew all the cops and respected them. He served during the race riots in the sixties. Was almost killed by shotgun blasts doing patrols down alleys and sidestreets. They blew out the driver's side and passenger side windows that night. He wasn't REALLY into shooting, but always did well in his target shooting and qualifications. He taught my brother and me gun safety, hunting and fishing, and ALWAYS made time for us and others no matter how he felt. I was ok at the funeral til we walked out of the church behind the casket and there stood about 20-30 policemen and detectives saluting at attention on both sides of the walk all the way down to the hearse. I lost it. That is a moment that made me so proud to have a dad like mine. He was a father to others even when their own wasn't. I still hear his voice everyday, and still talk to him in moments alone. I went to college, but feel his street smarts live on in me. Thanks, dad, for EVERYTHING. His name was Hubert L. Fitzjarrald

-Patrick Fitzjarrald

6. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Deepest sympathies for your loss....my Dad went to his reward almost 9 years ago...he made it to 90 years of age and lived to enjoy his grandchildren. He tuaght me how be a good farmer, introduced me to shooting and was intensely intersted in how I had done at any traphoot I went to...and he taught me honesty and respect...you can't have a better mentor than that....

Ron Burr

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Lost my dad 9-9-99. Kinda hard to forget that day for more than one reason. He was not just my dad but my best friend as well. He was a Vietnam Vet(Air Force) and a avid hunter and loved to fish. He taught me gun safety, how to hunt and fish and most of all how to be a man. There is so many times i wish i could pick up my phone and call him just to talk. There is not a day that goes by that i don't think about him. Darrell, i'm sure your father was a great man as well and i wish i could say something to ease your pain but i can't. I know from reading your thread that his memory will live with you forever. You have my deapest sympathy and i will pray for your fast healing.---Matt

8. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

I feel your loss and pain. I lost my Dad on Friday, the 13th of Feb, 2009. He was a trapshooter my whole life and I have wonderful memories of times together at shoots all over the country. He raised my brother and me to respect guns along with so many other christian values. How confusing it is that he chose a shotgun to end his life. We never really know what others are feeling and thinking. I will love and miss him forever....

9. Nuts

Nuts TS Member

I lost my Dad, hunting and fishing partner 16 months ago, he was 73. I think about him virtually everyday, especially when sitting in the duck blind, or on some remote stretch of clear water creek. I remember the conversions we had during those times, and the wisdom that was imparted from father to son.

He was truly a great man, and at critical times I often think what would Dad have done. He taught me a love of the land, of people and of compasion. Dad was a born during the depression, lost his mentor\brother in WWII, fought in Korea, went to college on the GI bill, and wore a jacket and tie to work everyday for 35 years, never once did he go to work with an open collar. During the weekend he liked to work the land, to nuture it, manage it, to love it. He once said there nothing more beautiful than a high and dry stand of red oak.

Dad ran a small company, and said to me once it was a burden to be resposible for the livilyhood of many families, his ability meant food and education to more than just his family, but to also to all those that worked for him. He was a "stand up and be counted" Republican. He would heap scorn on those CEO's who have abused their postion, those that were not responsbile to the shareowners, their employees, their country. He would be mortified by the last 12 months of nation, and be fearfull of what the nation would be like for his grandchildren. Whether they to will be able to enjoy the fruits of their labor, enjoy the freedom that he and his brothers fought for, scarficed for, beleived in.

Tim

10. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

i am sure that all fathers would be very proud of each and everyone of you. my dad passed away around 5 years ago. there is not a day that goes by that i don't think of him. what i learned from him is to treat people with respect, never make judgements of people without walking in their shoes. he only went to 8th grade and had to help his mother and younger brothers and sisters put food on the table. he was a very hard working man. when pearl harbor was bombed, he was sitting in a movie theatre when the mgr stoped the movie and told the people what happened. the next day he enlisted. he fought on okinowa, never talked about the war. he loved his country, his family, and was a good provider. he will never be in any book about major accomplishments, but to his family, he was very special. i hope we can meet again someday.
    steve balistreri

11. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Wow........Lots of neat Dads remembered. I remember mine.........

He was my best friend..........He's been gone since 1976, and I still miss him.

He never had it easy, but he never complained.

When he was 15, his Dad died...........and since my Dad was the oldest, he had to quit school and work the farm for his Mother and 7 brothers and sisters.

He went to work for Deere's in 1936. In 1940 he got fired from Deere's for helping to start a union.

He took John Deere's to court, and they had to hire him back. He retired with about 31 years of service to them.

He had ulcers so bad, that he couldn't stand up straight.......they hurt so much. He'd live on milk. Drank a ton of it as that would soothe his ulcers.

He would go to work bent over from the pain, and I'd ask, "Dad, why don't you stay home"?

He said if he stayed home, it would still hurt and he wouldn't get paid.

Hard to argue with logic.

Dads..............They're really something...........

Hauxfan!

12. atashooter

atashooter Member

[​IMG]

My Dad enlisted in WW2 at 16 ( he lied and said he was 18 ). This was his enlistment photo from boot camp at Camp Fannon, TX. He went where all Good Soldiers go in 2004. Not only did he teach me shooting, but also everything I know. I can tell you BT, that the empty lonelies don't never go away, but it will ease up so you can remember with a smile, instead of balling.

13. fletcher

fletcher TS Member

Lost my Dad, Best freind and shooting partner Aug 2004. Just this last Oct I saw a comercial for Time life videos on WW2 being a history buff and having uncles that were pilots at that time, I felt what a great Christmas Gift so I ordered it, Couple hours later I remembered yeah he's not around to see these but I think of him everyday I even pick up the phone to call sometime.

I miss you a lot Dad and everytime I catch a fish, shoot a pheasant or break a twenty-five I can see him smile just like it was my first.

14. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Life is funny as it gives us things or people that we don't fully appreciate until we don't have them anymore. Appreciate them now - today.

Don

15. butcher

butcher Member

You were blessed to have that kind of father.Lots of people never had that blessing.

Sorry about your loss.

Charger

16. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

BT-100dc sorry to hear of your loss of your Dad.I lost mine in early February 1966. I was at Ft. Gordon Georgia in a traning company of 1500 with a First Lieut. in charge. What a mess and the Army in all of their efficiency had lost my payroll records! He would be 104 this year if he might have lived that long. He was too old for WW11 and I was born on Aug. 15 1945. All of the kids I grew up with, their fathers were all vets. Not mine but he was there at my Little league games and Scouts and such. He told me stories of his Granddad sitting on his porch with his shotgun at the ready in the Crossville Tn area on election day, as he was a REPUBLICAN!!!! To this day that is my party. He was an uneducated man of the South. He worked the oil fields of Okalahoma, the timber of Tn. and lived in St. Louis and later in Chicago. His mother ran a restaurant in Little Rock during the ganster era. Quite the resume but all in all he was my DAD !!!

17. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I lost my mother about four years ago and I miss her every day. I do still have my pop, 85, and I learned from my mothers death and his love for her my brother and me not to take your parents for granted.

They gave me a Mayberry upbringing and I treasure that close family feeling that pop and I still have.

18. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Its a few months short of 10yrs that my dad passed,..and I've thought of something to make me miss him every day since he left at age 59....I sorry to all who known that same loss ...but be sure..where they are now..there is no stress or pain or disease....and as my pastor told me....they are all sitting around right now..telling war stories, and bragging on us to each other..leaves you with a good thought doesn't it?

19. Primedust

Primedust TS Member

Darrel, Sorry to hear about the loss of your dad. I am sure he was a special man! Lost my dad Oct.19th, 2006. He was Korean navy veteran. Also witnessed many atomic and one hydrogen drop on the Marshall Islands in 1953 and 54. The radiation from those drops raining down on the ship is what killed him with cancer eventually. He was top side on 3 drops as a atmosperic and temperature monitor during the blasts. Nearly lost his Carrier on the Hydrogen blast. He was a dad to 9 of us, I being the eldest. Taught me to hunt, fish, shoot and treated everyone with respect. I miss him every day! He was a special man and strange as it may seem, he is not dead. I hear his words every day, see his actions and decisions, only now they come from me! Your dad is not dead Darrel! He lives in you and your family! His memory is with you always. His body may be gone, but his gifts go on forever! Cherish and honor them. I do.

Primedust
    Mark Stevens

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.